• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Review - L.E. Wilson Case Gauge Depth Micrometer

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    I do my best to measure shoulder bump, trying to get it to 1-to-2 thousandths just like everyone else, but doing that using calipers and comparators makes that very tough. Measuring to the thousandth on these tools is "iffy" at best, and for some reason usually impossible for me. I saw this gadget mentioned in another post, and since I already have the Wilson Case Gauges for the four calibers I reload ... I decided to give it a try. Everything else I've gotten from L.E. Wilson has been useful, helpful, and machined to a very high quality, so I figured this was a good bet.

All I can say is "Wow!" ... this gadget works really well, and makes shoulder bumping so much easier and more accurate. Now if you don't have the Wilson Case Gauges, this is a useless tool, but if you do, it allows super-precise measurement right down to the thousandth, and it's repeatable and predictable without all the gyrations that make comparators so tough to use in these very small measurement increments.
    1. Measure a fired but unsized case per the instructions.
    2. Size and bump "very" lightly ... since you can always bump more, but not less.
    3. Measure the sized case and do the subtraction to get your precise bump.
    4. Adjust your die or shell-holder until you get the bump you're looking for.
    I can tell you that this thing is WAY more accurate and precise than calipers and comparators, and I recommend it if you've already got the Wilson Case Gauges, or don't mind throwing in the scratch to buy them. I was able to do a batch of 6.5-CM using one case to get the right shell-holder for a 1.5 thousandth bump, and then reproduced it flawlessly on the rest of the cases. The creative mind that invented this is WAY smarter than me!

I give this gadget two thumbs up for both ease of use and precision machining ... (y)(y)

Reactions: Rhed and simonp
    Are you talking about the case gauge depth micrometer to measure bump using their case gauges? I don’t see how this is different that a comparator on a caliper

Last edited:
    The end result is the same as a comparator ... but more precise. Every time you put a case into this gauge, it measures the same every time, right down to the 1/1000th and even half thousandth. Not so when I measure brass with a comparator, pull it out, and measure again. That's been my personal experience. Those that love their comparators and get perfect results from them, certainly don't need this tool. I don't, and I do.

I have one of those. The tool works well. But haven’t used it for awhile since I use Redding instant indicators for my cartridges now.

The end result is the same as a comparator ... but more precise. Every time you put a case into this gauge, it measures the same every time, right down to the 1/1000th and even half thousandth. Not so when I measure brass with a comparator, pull it out, and measure again. That's been my personal experience. Those that love their comparators and get perfect results from them, certainly don't need this tool. I don't, and I do.
    See, you don’t know how to use the first ones if you can’t get the same measurement twice. Nothing changes, it’s inert chunks of metal, you are what’s different between the two.

See, you don’t know how to use the first ones if you can’t get the same measurement twice. Nothing changes, it’s inert chunks of metal, you are what’s different between the two.
    If the headspace comparator in question works like the Hornady OAL comparator, I agree with Spife that consistent readings with ample "precision" should be easily acquired from measurement to measurement. On the other hand, if the headspace comparator is as flaky as the seating depth comparator... pfft. That seating depth comparator, for me, simply sucked, and I sent it back. Given that a piece of printer paper is 0.003" or so thick, it doesn't take much inconsistency of use to yield very different measurements.

With all that said, if Rusty gets more consistent readings - "consistent" being the operative word, not "precision" - with the Wilson tool, happy day for him. I personally prefer the competing Whidden gauge (at half the price of the Wilson item). The Hornady tool with a few bushings is going to be cheaper for use with several calibers than the caliber-specific, limited-selection Whidden tool.

My $0.02.

Reactions: patriotnation
    I personally prefer the competing Whidden gauge (at half the price of the Wilson item). The Hornady tool with a few bushings is going to be cheaper for use with several calibers than the caliber-specific, limited-selection Whidden
    Whidden gauge is good to go since I only do 2 calibers. I've checked them with Go Gauge and they all read "0", so not only does it compare fired vs sized, it can do it in relation to actual Cartridge HS.

Regardless, the Hornady comparator just requires attention to detail and may be influenced by how the anvil is placed on the caliper jaw. I think any reading should be viewed as the reading measured that day only and not an absolute reading to be used again next time the assembly is put in use.

If the headspace comparator in question works like the Hornady OAL comparator, I agree with Spife that consistent readings with ample "precision" should be easily acquired from measurement to measurement. On the other hand, if the headspace comparator is as flaky as the seating depth comparator... pfft. That seating depth comparator, for me, simply sucked, and I sent it back. Given that a piece of printer paper is 0.003" or so thick, it doesn't take much inconsistency of use to yield very different measurements.

With all that said, if Rusty gets more consistent readings - "consistent" being the operative word, not "precision" - with the Wilson tool, happy day for him. I personally prefer the competing Whidden gauge (at half the price of the Wilson item). The Hornady tool with a few bushings is going to be cheaper for use with several calibers than the caliber-specific, limited-selection Whidden tool.

My $0.02.

RCBS has been making those style "head space" gages for more than 20 years. One side is a head space comparitor and the other is an OAL comparitor.

My .02¢. For my money, I'd buy the Whidden or RCBS mics for a non comparator type tool. The Wilson depth mic is expensive and you need to use it with their case gauge.

I do have a couple of the RCBS mics. They work very well and seem quite accurate. I was lucky to pick them up at an Estate sale at about 1/3 of their retail cost. I measured the RCBS against my Hornady comparator and they both are right on the money. The mic gauges are much less finicky than the comparator types.

We're all free to buy what ever tools we want. They all get to where we want to be.

You don't hear too much from the other comparators like the Redding instant indicator or the Larry Willis indicator.

I do my best to measure shoulder bump, trying to get it to 1-to-2 thousandths just like everyone else, but doing that using calipers and comparators makes that very tough. Measuring to the thousandth on these tools is "iffy" at best, and for some reason usually impossible for me. I saw this gadget mentioned in another post, and since I already have the Wilson Case Gauges for the four calibers I reload ... I decided to give it a try. Everything else I've gotten from L.E. Wilson has been useful, helpful, and machined to a very high quality, so I figured this was a good bet.

All I can say is "Wow!" ... this gadget works really well, and makes shoulder bumping so much easier and more accurate. Now if you don't have the Wilson Case Gauges, this is a useless tool, but if you do, it allows super-precise measurement right down to the thousandth, and it's repeatable and predictable without all the gyrations that make comparators so tough to use in these very small measurement increments.
    1. Measure a fired but unsized case per the instructions.
    2. Size and bump "very" lightly ... since you can always bump more, but not less.
    3. Measure the sized case and do the subtraction to get your precise bump.
    4. Adjust your die or shell-holder until you get the bump you're looking for.
    I can tell you that this thing is WAY more accurate and precise than calipers and comparators, and I recommend it if you've already got the Wilson Case Gauges, or don't mind throwing in the scratch to buy them. I was able to do a batch of 6.5-CM using one case to get the right shell-holder for a 1.5 thousandth bump, and then reproduced it flawlessly on the rest of the cases. The creative mind that invented this is WAY smarter than me!

I give this gadget two thumbs up for both ease of use and precision machining ... (y)(y)

Based on your post, I decided to buy one of these to play around with it myself.

I found it to be quicker and more accurate than using other comparators - as simple as the function is, LE Wilson added some little extras that make it easier. I also like that you can use it as a de facto "trim notifier" since your neck extends up through the gauge. I also like that I won't need to add and remove stuff from my calipers when I want to change - just pick up the appropriate gauge and go.

It is the equivalent of approaching an order of magnitude more expensive than other gauges if you load a bunch of calibers, but it's also only $30. If you're worried about spending $30 per caliber, you're in the wrong discipline.

Thanks for posting - I like this quite a bit and am ordering more. Just wish I could get one for my upcoming 37XC - like I wish I could get one of their seater blanks. They just don't make blanks that big.

Based on your post, I decided to buy one of these to play around with it myself.

I found it to be quicker and more accurate than using other comparators - as simple as the function is, LE Wilson added some little extras that make it easier. I also like that you can use it as a de facto "trim notifier" since your neck extends up through the gauge. I also like that I won't need to add and remove stuff from my calipers when I want to change - just pick up the appropriate gauge and go.

It is the equivalent of approaching an order of magnitude more expensive than other gauges if you load a bunch of calibers, but it's also only $30. If you're worried about spending $30 per caliber, you're in the wrong discipline.

Thanks for posting - I like this quite a bit and am ordering more. Just wish I could get one for my upcoming 37XC - like I wish I could get one of their seater blanks. They just don't make blanks that big.
    Exactly my findings ... glad I'm not alone anymore. Seemed like everyone loved their calipers and comparators way more than I had suspected. That said, I'm definitely a "gadget guy" and love to try innovative products like this. For me, since I already had the four L.E. Wilson case gauges for the calibers I handload ... it seemed like a no-brainer to get this. And yes, those case gauges work great to quickly detect when trimming is necessary.

Exactly my findings ... glad I'm not alone anymore. Seemed like everyone loved their calipers and comparators way more than I had suspected. That said, I'm definitely a "gadget guy" and love to try innovative products like this. For me, since I already had the four L.E. Wilson case gauges for the calibers I handload ... it seemed like a no-brainer to get this. And yes, those case gauges work great to quickly detect when trimming is necessary.
    I wanted one but unfortunately they don’t yet have a case gauge for the 280AI. Fingers crossed they will add one. I left a message inquiring about it.