• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear Review of Creedmoor Sports 55in Deluxe Rifle Case vs. AIM 55in Dragbag

carbonbased

💥💥💥💥
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2018
Minnesota
So, I’m posting this because some AI’s require taller mounts than regular Rem700 pattern rifles which makes it hard to fit in many rifle cases. At least for me and maybe for some others with high mounts like @pfl338. Maybe you have this problem too.

I have no relationship with Creedmoor Sports. I get nothing out of this. I bought the case with my own money.

Why this case? I like 55”-56” long cases because they fit lengthwise in my mid-size SUV (~56” max). I was having trouble finding well-made cases in this length that fit tall-ass scope mounting, and without tons of doodads. (Edit: and WITH a shoulder strap. Looking at you, Triad Tactical … wait at 52” you’re too short anyways lol).

The AIM has no shoulder strap, but I figured out that I can leave the right backpack strap out and use it for a shoulder strap. It works OK. Could be better.

Rifle (for size compro): post-2014 AXSA in 6br, 24” barrel WITH a darn 5/8 to 1/2 adapter for a suppressor. Adds roughly 1” to OAL. Measures roughly 52.25“ (with can) currently, buttstock collapsed.

Scope mount: Spuhr 1.89” sky-high (discontinued?) for 34mm tubes

Suppressor: 9” long (~10” with that stupid adaptor). I should have the manufacturer switch it to 5/8-24 so I save an inch.

My AIAX won’t fit in my finely (and US) made Armageddon Precision Rifle cases because it’s too tall with that Spuhr. Doesn’t really matter as they only come in 52” & 58”. The former is too short for transport with a suppressor, and the latter is too long for horizontal storage in my truck.

Currently I use an AIM 55” dragbag, which is unfortunately made in China, a fact I discovered after I bought it. I believe the Creedmoor Sports case is too, but it is only $127, is made of a better-feeling version of 1000d Cordura, and uses actual YKK zips (#10 on the main one) vs. unbranded zips on the AIM.

Edit: the pocket zips are one-way, which is awesome. Never wonder where the zipper pull is again! I wish the main zip was this way too (like the Armageddon). Curiously, the Armageddon’s pocket zips are two way?

On China: I can’t find any other 55”-56” well-made case like this, made in the USA or not. Not even the 54” Bulldog tactical case, which I own as well. The Bulldog is just a smidge too short (but is wide and tall). However, the Bulldog is (also) a good Chinese-made case, and it fits rifles with 7” suppressors that my preferred/better-made 52” Armageddon case cannot handle.

Apparently the AIM is made of some 1000d flavor too (at least current versions). However, mine is stiff/rough and feels…for lack of a better term…simulated.

Unlike the AIM, the Creedmoor doesn’t have all those blasted clips and stuff that snags on everything. But the AIM is meant for hiking, so I get it.

The CM is available only in blue (deemed periwinkle by some wag in the comments lol).

B7E8DFF3-3BE6-4AB6-8F18-E586DFAB0CCE.jpeg

AIM 55” is behind the Creedmoor bag

B9094302-4678-410C-9E52-FAD8281CAC2A.jpeg

BEFC1435-1AC7-47F8-AC4E-98218230C78E.jpeg
21166487-1DE7-4341-8BA4-9B485BD8207D.jpeg
D843261E-A47F-42D6-9F41-04C63D16ADFB.jpeg
18E23208-C652-45C6-B365-C02B255F0AFE.jpeg

Note: can’t use the Velcro thing with my 10” suppressor/adapter combo. Makes the ID too short.

The Creedmoor case also has a nice, semi-unusual, and solidly-mounted spine shoulder strap. If you want to tuck this non-removable strap away, first reduce it to minimum length and then use the little integrated Velcro strap to keep it flat against the spine.

The spine-mounted shoulder strap keeps it away from the top access zip (which buggers up the access for your rifle). This is one of my few criticisms of the Armageddon crisscross sling attachment.

Edit: strap is long enough to carry the rifle messenger bag-style. Interesting. Have only tried it briefly.

See stock pic below for a strap pic.
1704610791998.png

There’s also a stiff insert in the muzzle area. The AIM uses its zipper padding for this. I don’t care either way, each solution works.

Both the AIM & Creedmoor come in 60” versions too.

Fit: tight-ish, and because of the shape of the front end, one must dip the muzzle in first (vs. the butt). As previously noted, I can’t use the Velcro thing at the butt due to my rifle+suppressor OAL. But I’m content; the fit is fine. Once I get rid of that suppressor thread adapter, the fit will be even better.

Cons:
  1. Edit: turns out I like having four pockets! With two pockets per side, too many pockets? Maybe? Maybe not?
  2. Edit: discovered strap is a little slippery/tends to crunch up and likes to slide off my shoulder only when I’m carrying a range backpack (with the CM strap resting over the backpack strap). My other bags don’t do this as readily, although it eventually happens.
  3. Edit: going down steep stairs: the bag hangs low on the strap. Won’t hit a doorframe, but when descending steep stairs I find that the buttstock end tends to gently bump the stair step behind me. This can cantilever you down the stairs if you are not careful. I’m 5’10”. Now I turn slightly to avoid this.
  4. No padding around zipper. I don’t mind for my use, which is bringing the rifle to the range.
  5. Edit: spine mounted strap can get dirty easier than other types.
Link:

Last edited:
I can’t tell if pulling an AX out of that fuckin perrywinkle blue case is a power move or a cry for help…

But either way I dig it.
For a complete flex, I should’ve added some sick thermal/nv fusion clip-on with a crazy fusion helmet setup laying nonchalantly in the background. With a MG42 and F/A MP5 thrown in a nearby paper pile. A bit like @TheHorta

Except I don’t have any of that 😂 and I didn’t mean to come across flexing! Sorry! It’s just that this rifle requires higher-than-average mounts, for me anyways. And to begin with, I already use high-ass mounts on Rem700 & Tikkas.

“Blast it Gilligan, can’t you find me a proper tweed rifle case on this bloody island or at the very least, dig up a British DPM one out from under some coconuts???”
1704611639040.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: DubfromGA
Updated my thoughts on the bag in my first post. Search for the word, “edit”.

I wish Creedmoor would use the green from the shorter bags, 48 and 52, instead of the blue to match the range cart. Of course I have the cart so...

Reactions: carbonbased