• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Review of PR1 and PR2 through Colorado Precision Rifle

DerrtyMac

You can either put up, or shut-up!
Supporter
Minuteman
Apr 15, 2019
High and Dry in my Mountain Life
Just got done with 6 days of learning the fundamentals and positional aspects of Precision Rifle handling.

First want to thank the Hide community, with all the knowledge spread throughout these forums it made stalking the areas I was interested in easy and very informative.

My background, 5.5 years as a 19D Cavalry Scout, and honestly on paper I was a shitbag but I never let the ones to my left and right down when it came to a field exercise, gunnery, FTX, or deployment. Mainly used to M4 and 240B with irons or holo/reflex sights along with various vehicle mounted systems. I got out in 2008 so almost 13 years since my last fun range time.

Fast forward, was looking to take a precision rifle class and came across Colorado Precision Rifle (CPRifle.com) and reached out to the owner/instructor Brian. It was really from that first phone call that sold me on the class, I asked my questions and he would then would ask me some. Seeing I lacked quality time behind a scoped rifle it was suggested to take PR1, which is held a Blue Steel Ranch. The place is a distance shooters paradise, with a great zero/.22LR training range, Known Distance Range with targets from 400-1000yds, and an area called the Rim with targets spread out over the natural terrain. Now the one thing you need to know is that the wind hardly dies down so of you want experience reading wind taking a class with Brian would be in your best interest.

While the closest town wasn’t too far away I opted to stay in the bunkhouse on-site. Think of a small barracks, firehouse sleep area, camp type feel. Has a kitchen with basic cooking equipment and a set of bathrooms. Sounds cramped but for 3 days of training you get to hear stories from fellow shooters and bond over shooting experiences and what drives you to take precision rifle shooting.

My Rifle: I personally went with a custom build that I can use in multiple disciplines to focus fire out what I wanted for each one.
Kelbly Black Bear
24” Krieger 1-10” twist #14 heavy Palma contour with a Kelbly “The Klaw” brake
Gisselle 1&2 stage trigger, set on 1 stage
.308 chamber running factory 175smk Federal Gold Match
Steiner Tx5i 5-25 in suphr rings, SCR reticle
Mannners T4 stock
TBAC bipod

PR1: if you have gone to a few PRS/NRL matches and wonder how they get so good, they all probably started at some point with training and learning how the weapon platform works. This fundamental class gets you started with how a rifle is setup. From understanding why we set up a natural aim point when getting on the rifle to being aligned behind the rifle in prone position. By the way majority of the class you will be shooting from the prone but it instills the basics and fundamentals that’s necessary for understanding how your rifle acts when being fired. We also went over how to setup a kestrel to get data for not only your rifle but for your ammo as well when going to a new load or new production lot#. Brian’s PR1 class gets you comfortable with your weapon while maintaining the most import thing at all times on a range, SAFETY!! He takes it very seriously but understands new shooters can get overwhelmed with all the information being thrown at them and keeps an eye out for things while constantly reminding as we move the rifles to check for a magazine still in, chamber flag in, and muzzle awareness. The flow of the class pretty much is dependent on the class, and Brian states “no two classes are the same” which to me means that he listens and watch’s where the individuals are and sends out info on what he see’s. I know this is only one of probably a hundred or so classes taught throughout the country but if you wanna become familiar with how a rifle with scope is run I recommend giving PR1 with Brian from Colorado Precision Rifle a call, ask questions, and make time to go have fun and get exposed to the knowledge and experience he offers.

PR2: I got lucky and was able to jump into Brian’s PR2 class right after PR1. Now if you happen to only be able to retain so much information at once, take a break and come back later once you practice PR1 skills at home. If you happen to be like me and can be a sponge with something you enjoy, taking PR1 and PR2 back to back is a great investment both financial and exposure wise to precision rifle shooting. This can be for pleasure, hunting, and competition mindsets which we had all of them with the participation in my PR2 class. PR2 focuses more on positional shooting. Standing, kneeling, sitting, prone, different barricades, and natural terrain. Day 1 was double checking your rifles dope against the kestrel, ammo, and rifle. Then go to the known distance range for drills on wind reading, efficiency of running the run, and of course having fun. Day 2 was spent on the zero range running .22LR from different positions. Brain explains what we were doing, shows us what he is looking for, and then watches us and gives advise on what you as an individual is doing. He had a mover which he used to explain the methods used for to make hits on a moving target, and even a spinner which you have to get the timing of you shot and placement right in order for it to spin. FYI with 8-9 .22’s hitting the spinner at once it goes around 8 times before just barely not making it 9. Great way to work on tough shooting positions without the recoil or expense of shooting your ammo. Brain brings a couple of .22’s our you can bring your own, just check with him to see if it’s right for the class. Day 3 was out on the Rim using natural terrain to work on positioning. Let me tell you spending an entire day out in the bright sun with wind all around shooting steel out to 840yds is never enough. Brain also goes over tripod setup whether using a bag on top or connecting with a mount. Lots of information to sling ammo and ring steel.

I found the classes and instructing style to be a perfect fit for myself. And with the different type of shooters and experience that attended PR2 it seems a lot of different people do as well. The biggest thing, other than safety, that Brain wants you to get out of taking the PR1, PR2, or even PR3, is that the information and knowledge he is sharing you can take home and practice with. Even if you can’t make it to a range everyday or limited to only .22 shooting, you can dry fire and do what you can with what you got. Also go out and shoot a match. You don’t have to place, or even take every shot available slotted for a stage, you just go and apply your skills the best you can and try to improve over time.

Overall: I would definitely take PR2 again to stay fresh on the positional basics, and would consider even doing PR1 again as well if I build a competition rig just so I have those experienced set of eyes making sure I’m utilizing the weapon to its full capacity. Give it a 9 out of 10, would have been a 10 but his mom keeps calling me. Brain tell her I don’t do dinner dates before 4:00pm, it’s to damn early and I don’t get the senior discount.

But yea if you wanna get into precision rifle shooting definitely give Brain a call. Go to CPRifle.com check out the class schedule and get to shooting with the training that keeps it fun.

Reactions: VanJoe and kampr