• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Review of the Eotech Vudu 5-25, Now With Photos

Shortbus6588

Driver of the Bus
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2017
OHIO
Hello all, i have noticed there is not much info about the Eotech VUDU 5-25x50 scope, and like many i was very interested in the scope. This scope boasts some impressive stats, in an unbelievably compact package and a very reasonable price point. So I took the plunge and bought a VUDU 5-25 with the H59 reticle. To preface, I am not paid or endorsed buy any optic mfg and purchased this scope at full price (although i do live near Eotech HQ in Ann Arbor, MI) . As an abstract I will be comparing the VUDU to a few other scopes i also own and have on hand, these are the Nightforce ATACR F1 7-35x56, NIghtforce NXS 5.5-22x56, and the Vortex Razor Gen2 4.5-27x56 of which i have two.

First off, this scope is likely made by LOW in Japan, which also makes scopes in the Nightforce ATACR and NXS line, the Vortex Razors, and various others like some Bushnell and Trijicons. The Vudu comes nicely packaged with the needed 2032 battery, hex key, sunshade, bikini covers, and manuals. The box is IDENTICAL to the Razor Gen2 packaging and sleeve, albeit black instead of grey.

The scope was mounted into some Nightforce ultralight rings 1.12" height that i had on hand and was tested on various rifles, including a Tikka .223 trainer, AI AT in 6.5 creedmoor , and my trusty old .308 custom rifle.

First impression- This scope is COMPACT! Photos don't do justice to how small this is. I found the controls to be very user friendly and easy to navigate. Overall well thought out, and feels like a quality piece.

Internal Travel- The 34mm main tube gives this scope good internal travel, Eotech advertised 33mils, mine has 34.7mils actual by counting clicks. This is more internal travel than the Razor gen2 at 28.5mils and on par with my ATACR 7-35 which yielded 33.8mils. Mounted and zeroed on my Tikka .223 with a 20MOA base it gave me 22.5mils of useable elevation.

Turrets- The turrets feel good spacing and click feel are similar to the ATACR as far as stiffness, the Razor gen2 is significantly stiffer than both. Clicks are clean, tactile and positive. The windage turret is capped similar to the ATACR, but can be ran without and still be waterproof. The elevation turret is an easy push/ pull locking turret similar to the Razor Gen2 but requires less effort to actuate but it's not too light either. There is an easy to set zerostop, which requires the included 1.5mm hex key to adjust. The zerostop can be set anywhere in the adjustment range which is nice, if you want it at zero or .2 or.5 below like i prefer. The elevation turret has 10 Mils per revolution, a second and third revolution indicator pops up in the middle of the turret (visual ans tactile) and requires no tools to reset zero which is an AWESOME feature! The markings on the turret line up perfectly with the line on the scope body and there is ZERO play or slop in the turret.

Parallax and Illumination- The Parallax and Illumination are a combo turret on the Left side of the scope. A cr2032 battery powers the reticle illumination, which is daylight visible but not as bright as the Razor Gen2. Its controls are blister buttons on front and back for brightness and onr on top to turn it off, not as simple as the Razor Gen2 dial but definitely better than Nightforce Digillum in my opinion. There is an battery saving auto shut-off feature, at 2hrs i believe. I cant comment on the battery life as i haven't had the scope log enough to find out. Parallax adjustment is stiffer than the ATACR, similar to the Razor Gen2 and adjusts from 45 yards to infinity. I found the corresponding yard marks to line up well with actual target focus. When parallax is focused there is good depth in the field of view,which I found suprising with such a short optic.

Magnification Ring- The mag ring runs smoothly, the entire ocular rotates similar to the Nightforce. The mag ring is threaded for an included throw lever- a nice feature but i haven't needed it. The resistance in the mag ring is not as tight as the Razor gen2 but not too light either, call it goldilocks.

Glass- This is the most subjective part as everyone sees things differently. I feel the glass on the VUDU is great, true to color, little to no CA, great depth of field and resolution through the magnification range. The field of view is on par with any scope in this mag range. There is slight tunneling from 5-6x but none after that and 25x is very useable, The tunneling is not as drastic the 7-35 ATACR or the S&B 5-25. The eyebox is forgiving, and stable through the magnification range on the VUDU- its similar to the ATACR and much better than the NXS although the Razor Gen2 is by far the easiest to get behind. The VUDU's image is brighter and color is better than the NXS, i believe the Razor Gen2 is slightly brighter, and the 7-35 ATACR is by far the brightest except at the upper mag range. This is probably due to the ATACR and Razor gen2 using 56mm objective lens compared to the VUDU's 50mm objective lens. The VUDU was very useable in low light conditions, in the twilight well after sunset it was still able to resolve well.

Tracking-This is the MOST important part of any scope in my opinion! I did one tall target test and several return to zero tests with the VUDU and tracking was perfect- not much else to say about that.

Reticle- As stated i choose the Horus H59 in this scope, and i am happy with my choice. The Horus reticles are very polarizing with some finding them too busy but i enjoy the versatility of being able to dial or have precise holdovers. I also really like the .2mil subtension on the vertical and horizontal stadia for wind holds. A shooting buddy of mine has a VUDU with the MD3 reticle and it seems well thought out with .2mil sub and floating center dot like the h59 but without the grid. I don't find the h59 too thick for smaller targets as some have eluded to.

Overall- I feel the Eotech VUDU is a fantastic value at its current price of ~$2100, and slightly cheaper with the MD3 reticle. Eotech hit it out of the park with features and quality on this scope and could easily have charged more and it would still be worth it. I look forward to spending more time behind the scope and running it in some upcoming matches. It really makes you question whats possible in optical design, with no apparent compromises in this scope. I would recommend picking one up if you are in the market for a 5-25x scope, at 29 ounces this scope should makes its way onto many rifles.

Cheers

Last edited:
Attack us with pictures bro. Would love to see min and max mag with illumination.

Nice review. How's the weight compared to your other samples?

The VUDU is easily the lightest in the bunch at 29 oz actual weight. The ATACR tips the scales at 39.6 oz actual, the NXS at 34oz actual ( 30mm tube helps compared to 34mm on the others) and the Razor gen2 is 48.2 oz actual on my scale.

I wonder if Eotechs known issues with their red dots plays into people trusting the brand to buy their long range scopes? The long range crowd is fickle, they have 4-5 brand of each component that is accepted my 90% of shooters, the other brands have to do whatever they can to try to win anybody to their product.

Nice review and hopefully people will give them a chance.

I wonder if Eotechs known issues with their red dots plays into people trusting the brand to buy their long range scopes? The long range crowd is fickle, they have 4-5 brand of each component that is accepted my 90% of shooters, the other brands have to do whatever they can to try to win anybody to their product.

Well I see most scopes coming from LOW in Japan to be high quality. When it's realized that many proven optics are designed and engineered , and often manufactured in their facility I have zero doubts about the VUDU'S quality. Remember LOW also does the 7-35 ATACR and NXS, some Bushnell Elite, some Trijicon, March, Vortex Razor gen2 ( vortex supposedly does their own turrets/erector), etc...

In addition Eotech is obviously an established company, that is US based (Ann Arbor, MI). They have an in house repair and service department as well. The VUDU has a Lifetime warranty, which is transferrable similar to Vortex, first owner or used scope is covered. I have no first hand experience with Eotech warranty work but called and spoke with a CS representative and a service tech and am confident they would take care of you. This offered me peace of mind in purchasing the optic as I had a bad experience with a Kahles I purchased in the past that was a dud and went to Austria for 7 months for repair. The tech said if they they typically have only a few day turnaround for service in their shop.

Last edited:
Well I see most scopes coming from LOW in Japan to be high quality. When it's realized that many proven optics are either designed and engineered and often manufactured in their facility I have zero doubts about the VUDU'S quality.

In addition Eotech is obviously an established company, that is US based (Ann Arbor, MI). They have an in house repair and service department as well. The VUDU has a Lifetime warranty, which is transferrable similar to Vortex, first owner or used scope is covered. I have no first hand experience with Eotech warranty work but called and spoke with a CS representative and a service tech and am confident they would take care of you. This offered me peace of mind in purchasing the optic as I had a bad experience with a Kahles I purchased in the past that was a dud and went to Austria for 7 months for repair. The tech said if they they typically have only a few day turnaround for service in their shop.

I think if most people would just realize that the majority of all top end scopes have at least the glass coming from the same facility it would quickly change the idea that some scopes are leaps and bounds better than others.

As I had stated before, I assume that Eotech puts out quality products. The issue is that what will need to happen is they need to put some money into the marketing side and get some top level shooters supporting their gear, then you will see a drastic increase in people using their stuff. Another thing that is dramatically overstated is the idea that Vortex is the only company that offers a quality guarantee, even though many other companies operate similar but all that is talked about is Vortex.

I would like to look at one in person sometime, I still fancy getting an eotech red dot from time to time but do not my AR-15s much.

When I ordered my Vudu it came out of the box with all kinds of problems (odd liquid filled the inside of the elevation turret, which corroded some of the internals, the illumination bled horribly, the reticle faded in and out, the internal lens would cloud up, the image had a very bad green tint, etc). I sent it in and they quickly shipped me back a new scope. The only complaint I have about their customer service is they made me pay to ship that train wreck of a scope back to them, but whatever. Otherwise, I was really impressed with them and their quick turnaround (I think I had the new scope 4 days after mine was delivered to them). The new one has worked great, the only complaint I have about it is the elevation turret on mine is very mushy and not distinct.

I don’t think I would personally agree with your statement that it doesn’t have any noticeable compromises to get its really incredible size and weight. In my opinion, the eye box is good, but not as good as a normal design scope (AMG, Gen 2 Razor, T5Xi, M5Xi, etc), and the image through the scope is a little less clear and bright than these. It’s still good, but I definitely feel it is noticeable that your giving up in these areas to get the length and weight of the Vudu.

I also don’t think I would recommend this scope at above $2000, unless you specifically NEED a compact, light weight, high mag scope, in which case it’s basically the only option I know of right now that is below the $3000 and up price bracket. Otherwise, in my opinion it is worth about $1600-$1800 and is a good deal in that price range. It’s performance is a little less than most scopes in this price range, but it makes up the difference with its size and weight, and I feel this is the price range where it can successfully compete if you just want it for a scope, and not for its unique niche.

All in all, I really like this scope, and I agree with almost everything you found except for the two points I mentioned above.

Reactions: fx77
When I ordered my Vudu it came out of the box with all kinds of problems (odd liquid filled the inside of the elevation turret, which corroded some of the internals, the illumination bled horribly, the reticle faded in and out, the internal lens would cloud up, the image had a very bad green tint, etc). I sent it in and they quickly shipped me back a new scope. The only complaint I have about their customer service is they made me pay to ship that train wreck of a scope back to them, but whatever. Otherwise, I was really impressed with them and their quick turnaround (I think I had the new scope 4 days after mine was delivered to them). The new one has worked great, the only complaint I have about it is the elevation turret on mine is very mushy and not distinct.

I don’t think I would personally agree with your statement that it doesn’t have any noticeable compromises to get its really incredible size and weight. In my opinion, the eye box is good, but not as good as a normal design scope (AMG, Gen 2 Razor, T5Xi, M5Xi, etc), and the image through the scope is a little less clear and bright than these. It’s still good, but I definitely feel it is noticeable that your giving up in these areas to get the length and weight of the Vudu.

I also don’t think I would recommend this scope at above $2000, unless you specifically NEED a compact, light weight, high mag scope, in which case it’s basically the only option I know of right now that is below the $3000 and up price bracket. Otherwise, in my opinion it is worth about $1600-$1800 and is a good deal in that price range. It’s performance is a little less than most scopes in this price range, but it makes up the difference with its size and weight, and I feel this is the price range where it can successfully compete if you just want it for a scope, and not for its unique niche.

All in all, I really like this scope, and I agree with almost everything you found except for the two points I mentioned above.

While I've never handled a Razor Amg I agree the eyebox on the Razor gen2 is more forgiving than the VUDU. The VUDU'S eyebox is similar to the ATACR's and more forgiving than the NXS.

I found image quality to be quite good, better than the NXS but not at bright as the Razor gen2 or the ATACR- i assume this is because the 50mm vs 56mm objective lens. Larger objective diameter = more light gathering ability = Brighter image at same magnification. To me this makes sense. I also understand shorter optics have to bend light more aggressively than longer ones and this could also be the answer.

Glass is the very subjective, everyone sees it differently and has varied preferences. Hence I don't dwell on it because it's a personal preference like reticles are personal preference.

Last edited:
Here are some photos of the scopes turret internals.... And it mounted on my Tikka.... And the best photo I could get on the illumination. Merry Christmas!
20181225_123321.jpg
20181225_123344.jpg
20181225_123357.jpg
20181225_123130.jpg
20181225_124133.jpg
20181225_123816.jpg

Thanks for sharing shortbus, Merry Christmas to you as well.

@Shortbus6588 how long is it without the sunshade? That seems like it would look really good on a AR10 platform. Not sure what it is but I like shorter scopes on semi-auto rifles.
Hard to tell but not a floating center dot on that reticle?

Reactions: Sumet1
@Shortbus6588 how long is it without the sunshade? That seems like it would look really good on a AR10 platform. Not sure what it is but I like shorter scopes on semi-auto rifles.
Hard to tell but not a floating center dot on that reticle?

The VUDU is 11" in length without the sunshade, 14" length with. The H59 reticle does have a floating center dot, my crappy photos with the illumination do not show it, but there is a floating center dot. The reticle photos were taken at 16x, which is about where i find myself shooting most often.

Last edited:

Can't comment on the 5-25 Vudu, but I've got the 3.5-18x and found it to be an absolutely fantastic optic and pleasantly surprised by its performance. I do think the HWS thermal drift fiasco has significantly impacted the sale of the Vudu line since they rolled it out when it was still straight-out-the-oven fresh in everyone's mind, and to an understandably apprehensive target market. Admittedly, it was never a line of optic I seriously considered but I'm glad I gave it a shot. All said, I am selling my 3.5-18x Vudu, not because of unsatisfactory performance, but to fund another Vudu in a different variant. It really is worth looking into.

Also agree with the above. Great glass, size, weight and features for the price. I’m going to give them a call though because the illumination on mine with the MD3 reticle isn’t even close to daylight bright and does bleed more than I think it should. Here it is on a 20” 6.5 Creedmoor I built:

Attachments

• 3818A007-F687-4676-A93E-EB10F84BB8AA.jpeg
    3818A007-F687-4676-A93E-EB10F84BB8AA.jpeg
    546.5 KB · Views: 1,053
Make sure you try a proper fresh battery in it, in my experiences sometimes a good battery makes all the difference. My Razor illum was barely visible when new- swapped to a fresh battery and now it could almost burn your retina!!

Make sure you try a proper fresh battery in it, in my experiences sometimes a good battery makes all the difference. My Razor illum was barely visible when new- swapped to a fresh battery and now it could almost burn your retina!!

Appreciate the suggestion. I have put a new battery in it which did help but still not what I feel it should be. I would only call it visible at dawn or dusk and even then it’s got dark spots (almost non-illuminated) and bleeding. You’re right though..... fresh batteries usually take care of illumination issues.

Shortbus, thanks for the reply re. the weight of the Vudu. I want to expand a little on the "nice review " part of my comment. It would have been more appropriate to have said very "very nice review". There are a number of us who are far from any vendor who might have one or two of a particular type or price range of scope that would allow us to make a judgement or decision on what we want. The other suggestion is to go to a match and look through competitors scopes. I suppose if the guy would not object to your keeping his scope for a half hour to compare to something you brought with you and didn't mind his ocular displaced it might work.

An alternative is to hang out here. Over time you will learn who to pay attention to. You find posts like this one where a guy who has experience with a number of optics and offers his considered opinion regarding a product. Done in a simple way where he is clear that you are reading an opinion and it's up to you to decide how much weight it should carry. If a guy reads enough and pays attention he is never going to make a wrong way turn onto a one way street unless he doesn't even look for the one-way sign. If you watch the PX it takes little time to figure what a good buy on used is in dollars. If a vendor makes a great offering it's going to be posted.

So, to the guys that do the posts evaluating products, which of course is time consuming, keep it up. There are plenty of guys like me who appreciate it to no end. Thanks to all of you.

Here’s a pic of my Vudu on my 16” Precision Carbine AR15 I built. I agree simpy16, this scope really shines on an AR15 or AR10 platform.
f4ib82.jpg
That does look good! I kinda want to sell my Sig and pick up one of these. How long is that barrel and then the suppressor?

The barrel is a 16” Proof and the suppressor is an Ultra 9
Nice! With the length of the suppressor and how short the handguard is it almost looks like a 20” barrel. I also have a 16” Proof Barrel on my rifle but have a 15” handguard and then run a 5” Gemtech Trek T can.

Reactions: Jjc917 and Sumet1
Can someone get me some mag ring measurements? Would like to make a throw lever for this...and maybe chuck one on a shorty bullpup

The throw lever for this optic would be pointless because of the attachment that comes with the scope.

Yeah man let me know! Some folks don't like thread in knobs, we sell a bunch of ATACR and Leupold MK5 levers, they're more comfy than a thread in piece.

I'd use the included thread-in lever, but it does interfere with bolt manipulation if set on high magnification. Would be nice to have an alternative that can be mounted in a way that avoids unwanted contact.

I finally got a chance to get the measurements.

Diameter- 1.7280” with a length of .9950”
The rectangular protrusion is:
Width- .3915”
Height- .1770”

I'd use the included thread-in lever, but it does interfere with bolt manipulation if set on high magnification. Would be nice to have an alternative that can be mounted in a way that avoids unwanted contact.
There was a running change, the new ones don't, they moved the position of the throw lever.

Reactions: Blackfoot 7
A few more photos from some shooting done today. Tried to capture some side by side images next to a gen2 Razor for scale. Both scopes are wearing their sunshades.

The VUDU is riding on an old trued R700 chambered on 6.5 creedmoor, 24" Lilja barrel, KRG X-ray chassis... And it shoots better than it looks.
20181229_134448.jpg
20181229_134434.jpg
20181229_134418.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181229_154909841.jpg
    IMG_20181229_154909841.jpg
    259.3 KB · Views: 298
Reactions: deersniper
I’m considering this scope for my new SRS. Illuminated H59? Yes, please.

@Shortbus6588 do you think it’s 95% of the scope the Razor and F1 are? I already have those and love a little variety.

The front one is a Vortex Defender, the rear one is the Tenebraex model for Nightforce scopes, I don’t remember the product number. I wrapped electrical tape around the scope about 3 times to get an air tight fit, and it hasn’t moved since I torqued it down.

Everyone that owns the Vudu are you liking them, Would you say they are on point for the Price range, I have a few NF and Mk4 would this be comparable?

Too bad we can't get the 1279$ deal up here in Canada I would be all over that.

Everyone that owns the Vudu are you liking them, Would you say they are on point for the Price range, I have a few NF and Mk4 would this be comparable?

Too bad we can't get the 1279$ deal up here in Canada I would be all over that.

I continue to be impressed by this scope, it's a superb value, and a downright steal at ~$1300… not sure how that's even possible.

Anyway I purchased it at full retail price and think that @$2100 it's still hard to beat.