• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses Review of the Rifles Only PR 1 and 2 class in Northern California

Keyrock

Private
Minuteman
Nov 19, 2010
CA
I attended the Rifles Only PR 1 and 2 class last week which was offered in Northern California at the Sacramento Valley Shooting Center.

This was a five-day class and was taught by Jacob Bynum, the chief instructor at Rifles Only. There were two assistant instructors, Jim and Paul, who were former special operations members.

The class started at a very basic level, spending most of the first day just reviewing the basics of safety and the fundamentals of shooting, such as breathing, natural point of aim, and trigger control. There was a lot of dry firing, some live firing, but a lot of individualized instruction and critiquing of a student’s performance.

It might have been tempting to think that the time spent on such basics was wasted, as we were all fairly experienced shooters, however the week was structured so that the shooting became more difficult, and the importance following the fundamentals of shooting and safety became critical.

Following the fundamentals was the theme of the entire course.

Later in the week we had the opportunity to gather dope out to 1,000 yards, and there were lessons on how to maintain a data book, reading the wind, techniques in mil dot ranging, shooting moving targets, positional/barricade shooting, using a battlefield zero and shooting left and right sided, all while shooting steel plate out to 550 yards.

The instructors were uniformly excellent, and repeatedly encouraged the group to ask questions, and repeatedly offered to work on an individual or small group basis until the lesson was understood.

The final day was a multistage competition that required use of most of the skills that had been taught during the week. The shooting was challenging, the first stage was a cold bore shot at 550 yards, then things got interesting from there.

I would highly recommend attending if you have the opportunity.

I took this class last year at Rifles Only in Texas. EXCELLENT instruction!