• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Review: Wife's Rem 700 5R (.308 Win)

JB02

CDR
Minuteman
  • Sep 14, 2011
    Northern VA
    Lately, I've read several posts of people critical of the 5R's cost vs. performance value in comparison to a full custom rifle. I concede that the base 5R package you get has several shortcomings:

- X-mark pro trigger (such a fancy name for a piece of garbage)
    - Rounds have a long OAL to get within 0.020" of the lands
    - BDL floor metal (no detachable box mag configuration offered)
    - Ugly stainless steel finish (IMO)
    - Small bolt handle (scope can get in the way of bolt cycling with small bolt)

In short, when you buy this rifle at first, you get some warts with it. Some of these warts are a little too much for more experienced and seasoned shooters to bear. I can already hear some shouting "buy once, cry once." However, something nice about this base 5R rifle, especially for someone just getting into shooting, is that it gives a versatile platform to build on so that you can see if the sport is for you before dropping several thousands of dollars and waiting many months for a high-speed rig from GAP, APA, Gradous, etc.

I purchased my wife's .308 WIN 5R for $1,050 shipped. It has the 24" barrel.

The 5R's first customization process involved the following:

- Duracoat of the stock tactical desert tan
    - Duracoat of the barreled action tactical flat dark earth ($70 for both colors)
    - CDI precision bottom metal ($200 w/ inletting on a group buy)
    - Nightforce 20 MOA base ($110)
    - Nikon monarch scope ($375 at alfa weapons)
    - Burris signature zee 1" rings ($40)
    - Imitation Harris bipod ($30)

5R.png

(I realize this is shown pictured with my Razor HD scope, which it briefly borrowed for some time)

The second customization iteration included:

- Addition of a Timney trigger set from factory at 1.5 lbs ($140; too light for me, but she loves it that way; this should have been the very first upgrade performed)
    - 1/2" Limbsaver Recoil pad ($30, made rifle much more pleasant for wife to shoot)
    - Kampfield Custom bolt knob ($95; makes bolt cycling much easier)
    - Relieving action feedramp with dremel to accept longer OAL rounds
    - Switch to Type II Alpha mag to accommodate longer OAL rounds ($60 on sale at RWS gunsmithing)

Relievedaction.jpg

So, once the wife started to get really good with this set up, I decided to upgrade her rig significantly for mother's day. The cost of this next upgrade was high, but she is very happy with it; as you will see below, it's performance rivals that of a full custom build:

- Manners T5 mini chassis molded in GAP, sendero, two studs ($850; BTW, for anyone looking at putting a Timney trigger in a Manners mini-chassis, you'll need to break out a dremel tool with a carbide bit)
    - Barreled action and bolt cerakoted black locally in CT liberty coatings ($150)
    - Nightforce rings ($100)
    - Vortex PST 6-24 SFP (good deal on SFP scope and wife doesn't need FFP anyway) ($650)
    - Triad tactical stock pack (can adjust comb, thus no need for adjustable check) ($40)
    - Atlas picatinny rail with BT1517 hardware mounted on forearm with drill and counterbore per cobra427's thread ($20)

YviRHS.jpg
    Yviwithrifle.jpg
    Yvi.png

(Yes, that is an Atlas bipod she is borrowing from me until I get my rifle back from the gunsmith; she's fine with the ultra short UJT tactical rail mounted Harris imitation)

So then, how well does it shoot?

These shots were from once fired black hills match cases (I received a great deal on nearly 500 of them) using standard long rifle primers and Hornady 168gr BTHP.

Using the Newberry OCW procedure, http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/#/ocw-vs-ladder/4529811360, I found that 45.8 gr of Varget and 0.020" from the lands (OAL=2.329") works very well. I don't have a chrono, but the online ballistics calculators computed from the drops at 300 yds (1.2 mil drop) and 400 yds (2.0 mil drop) the the muzzle velocity is ~ 2,795 FPS (alt=275 ft, temp=75F, press=30.27, humidity=31%, scope height=2.0").

OCW:
    OCW-1.jpg

(I must admit, this was a VERY lucky 0.187" group that I will probably never be able to do again)

That same afternoon, I also tested a 42.0 gr Varget load in my friend's R700 .308 5R. Like me, he was using 168gr BTHPs loaded to SAAMI COL spec of 2.800" since he has a spec rifle except with metal cerakoted OD green and a 1.5 lb Timney trigger:
    Chrissrifleat42gr-1.jpg

This group is 0.345".

Two 5Rs under 3/8" MOA accuracy. That is clear, unambiguous proof to me that these 5R rifles can shoot.

Just to beat the dead horse, here is how well my wife shot:

100 yd sight-in (5 shots, 0.326"):
    100ydsightin.jpg

300 yd sight-in (3 shots, 1.138"):
    300yds.jpg

400 yd sight-in (3 shots, 1.912"):
    400yds.png

So it may have been more cost effective and tacticool to just drop a stiller TAC 30, or even a surgeon 591 barreled action into the T5 mini-chassis or AICS from the get go, but how many of you can honestly say that is how you would go with the first rifle you were buying or suggesting for your significant other? Before she moved up to the .308 5R, my wife was shooting our .22 WMR until she could fit dimes over a 10 shot group at 100 yds. Once I bought her the limbsaver recoil pad, she claimed the 5R as hers. In terms of value, these R700 5R rifles are hard to beat and I would recommend one to anyone interested in high power rifle shooting.

Re: Review: Wife's Rem 700 5R (.308 Win)

Great post, I am in the exact situation in the market for my first long range rifle and have been debating the 5r over other rifles. This was extremely helpful as I have thought about a custom rifle as well starting from the r700 5r. Great groups and great information

I actually like my X Mark trigger, but I do wish the bolt knob was larger. It'll be upgraded in short order. Anyhow, I love my 5R. It has just been a very comfortable rifle for me to shoot. There is no other way to put it really.

I did the same as him and added the timney.I tried to adjust the X Mark and never really saw any improvement.

My 5R loves the hornady 168 hpbt match bullets. 44.6 grains of varget and federal large rifle primers.

Nice shooting by both you & the Mrs. I like the way they look from the factory but what you have done makes it even better. Never a bad thing when the wife claims a firearm as her own. Especially when she shoots that good. The 5R is a very nice starting spot. All the ones that I have seen shoot way better than they should. The experts think so too. I have heard Robert Gradous recommend Rem. LTR's & 5R's many times to customers calling in with questions. He always takes the time to answer any questions that callers may have. So when Robert recommends either the LTR or 5R to folks who aren't ready for a full on custom rig it's a pretty safe bet.
    Semper Fi

if she likes the limbsaver, don't ever let her shoot with a suppressor
    grin.gif

fun project with the wife. maybe more expensive, but it's tough to put a price on a build that makes her feel like its "hers" if that makes sense.

regards,
    DT

Great post. I love my 5r. I love it even more with the Timney 510 I installed and set at 2.25 lbs. I ordered one of the SS 5-20's from the Facebook promotion and can't wait to try that out.

I'm planning on sending mine to Gradous to have it cut down to 20 and crowned and bedded into a Manners stock with a DBM install. Can't wait.

You can't go wrong sending your rifle to Robert. Check into his rifle "Tune up" or something like that. Well worth the money.
    Accurate Ordnance does a really good job also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D_TROS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">if she likes the limbsaver, don't ever let her shoot with a suppressor
    grin.gif

fun project with the wife. maybe more expensive, but it's tough to put a price on a build that makes her feel like its "hers" if that makes sense.

regards,
    DT</div></div>

Ahh! A suppressor! Perhaps an XMAS present :)