• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Reviews of the SS 1-6 HD

Hokie

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2011
Figured this fine optic deserves a review thread outside of the group buy discussion:

DSCN10922_zps391402ad.jpg

Hey everyone, I’ve had this scope for a while now and have spent some quality time behind it. I thought I'd share my thoughts and roll out some discussion points for the collective good. I’m certainly no technical expert but I have cycled through many an optic over the years and can offer a blue-collar assessment and commentary of how this scope performs.

As some within this league of extraordinary gentlemen may recall I wrote a review on the SS 1-4 when it came out in 2011. Figuratively speaking, these days there’s a metric ton of low power variables options to choose from. They range in quality from the spent toilet paper roll inside a 3rd world gas station to the finest mechanical artistry ever conceived by Earth’s most elite optical engineers.

I've long been interested in the SS series for a few reasons. Simply put I find them to have an excellent blend of features I expect at a price point that doesn't force me into a credit card. In 2011 I cobbled the following list of elements I found important when selecting a low power variable scope. While the prioritizations of these are certainly speculative – I think it still captures the multiple variables we suburban commandos sweat through the gauntlet of scope selection. After the dust settles I think the SS line rates pretty well.

•Durability
•Glass Quality
•Reticle Design
•Magnification
•Turret Configuration
•Eye Relief and Exit Pupil
•Weight
•Illumination
•Battery Life
•Customer Service
•Affordability

In your travels…another kick ass venue to derive some comparative technical info is BigJimFish’s thread on low power variables. I can certainly appreciate the effort that goes into that. He’s done a great job with it. Galileo and Newton would be proud.

Rolling on I was pretty psyched to learn of SWFA’s addition of a 1-6 version of their very successful 1-4 model. Sparing the politics of the infamous group buy, I’m very glad I hung in there while the realities of design, economics, and manufacturing settled out. I derived my patience from past experience, such as the infamous “Hey Magpul WTF is up with that UBR!” episode a few years back. Delayed shipping shouldn’t surprise anyone in this industry. Anyway good things come to those who wait. The SS 1-6 HD certainly compensates your endurance. If you liked the 4x version, you’ll really like the 6x. And that said, here we go…
SS1-6_zps5f32220e.jpg

The packaging is as expected from SWFA’s product line – Spartan. Open the box, take out the scope, and mount it to your gun. The scope itself mirrors the final construction design of the 1-4 versions, including the improved battery housing. Originally the first models of the 1-4 had issues keeping constant pressure on the battery under recoil – which caused the reticle to black out upon firing. SWFA fixed this rather quickly by simply adding pressure on both sides of the battery. Attached is an exploded view of the SS 1-6.
DSCN1092_zps313f01cb.jpg

The turrets are pretty slick. The center bolt loosens to allow for initial zeroing. The clicks are deliberate yet easy to manipulate. Note the option of turret caps and/or thread protectors should you want the turrets exposed. The turrets correlate directly with the reticle and use a MRAD calibration, which keeps it simple. The housing accepts two batteries, one for use and one stored separately as a spare. I find the rheostat to be solid. The clicks are distinct but not overly difficult to crank from one brightness level to the next. I haven’t tested the battery life yet, but I would expect the same performance of the 1-4…somewhere around 8 hours of useful life before it dims far enough to warrant replacement.
DSCN1097_zps960af1dc.jpg

The main tube and general construction is thick, solid, and highlights some tight construction. The 1-6 isn’t a featherweight. With the mount it rounds off at 24 ounces. Considering the overall mass of most low power variables this aspect doesn’t matter much to me. Is what it is.
DSCN1094_zps0e7862f4.jpg

The ocular is very robust and the mag dial is tight. The finish is matte black. It’s not immune to scratches and dings…but then again I haven’t met a scope that is. I put my 1-4 through the ringer and it shows some significant wear, although the glass quality and overall function is perfectly intact. I find this reassuring and in line with what one would expect from an optic straddling an AR15.

Last edited:
That said I would be remised if I didn’t recommend a cat tail to accompany the scope. The knurled dial is certainly useable on its own, but it is tight. Wet conditions will compound any difficulty to rotate it from 1X to 6X. I personally have little use for the magnification in between. The cat tail makes that completely disappear. Also, because this will likely come up – I used my 1-4 cat tail on the 1-6. It works just fine.
DSCN1098_zpsb35a6adb.jpg

The reticle design is what makes this scope in my view unique. What SWFA did was make a FFP reticle that allows for CQB at 1x magnification and accurate targeting at 6x magnification. At the low end the SS 1-6 has a 60 mil circle over a bold crosshair. For reference, the 1x circle mirrors that of the Leupold CQ/T (the following two pics borrowed from JonA)

SS 1-6 prototype version:
PICT0398_zps715eeab4.jpg

Leupold CQ/T:
PICT0393_zps1ff074d7.jpg

I really like this aspect as it fits well to what I intend this scope to do. Specifically – I don’t kick doors in for a living nor do I actively participate in competitive shooting. I want to be able to clear my house and hit tight groups as far as I'd want to go with a 5.56 cartridge. This reticle allows me to do just that. Beyond typical room distances I find the circle loses its usefulness. It becomes too large to effectively draw your eye to a typical 19” silhouette target. The focus then turns to the cross hairs, which I think are very well designed. While a floating LED dot is certainly preferred by many, I’d just as soon have a black and bold reticle where battery powered illumination is a supplement, not a requirement for the scope to be useful. That might just be the SHTF enthusiast in me, so feel free to disagree on that! Besides that debate, the LED technology jumps the price tag up considerably – which is a nonstarter for many.
Donut_1x_and_6x_zps85ce24c2.jpg

Last edited:
From the circle, the crosshairs have bold outer posts and then transition to thinner posts. In the center resides a floating dot. I find this makes it real slick and easy to align quickly with a target below 100 yards and makes for precise shots at targets beyond 100 yards. Essentially…once I leave the confines of my house I think the crosshairs put me right on target in a very fast way. I far prefer the uncluttered SS reticle compared to other options that jam so many numbers, labels, and hash marks into the FOV. I don’t see the need in a low power variable. Higher mag scopes…definitely. See the subtensions below:
1-6MilCircleRevA-smal_zpscdc67a6f.jpg

Range time:
Best part about living in Maine is having adequate backyards for shooting off your deck. Looking over the scope you can see the white silhouette target at 150 yards.
DSCN1100_zpsff36bf61.jpg

At 1X:
DSCN1102_zpsd00e07a9.jpg

DSCN1119_zps62d3bb29.jpg

At 6X (sorry, the 6x pictures suck, I was in a hurry. Still you can see how it ranges a typical silhouette)
DSCN1114_zpsca95ed7b.jpg

DSCN1130_zps01e5228e.jpg

At this point I’ll comment on a few features that are inherent in the SS HD line. First is the glass quality. As to be expected the clarity of the SS HD’s lenses is very nice. I haven’t compared the 1-6 to other 1-6 models, but it’s no different that the glass used in the 1-4 versions…and that’s pretty damn sexy. I find the light gathering to be excellent, the FOV crisp, and the reticle in focus at all ranges of magnification – edge to edge.

I notice the exit pupil is very generous at 1x but requires a consistent cheek weld at 6x to keep the sight picture in focus. I would speculate this is the same with all variables though. That said I also find the cheek weld to be a natural exercise in that I settle into the sweet spot every time, all the time.

The illumination is NOT daylight visible under every venue. Don’t try and convince yourself otherwise. It certainly DOES show up on cloudy days and against dark backgrounds…but, against the brightest venues out there – which in Maine equate to a cloudless sunny day over winter snowscape – it is not. Fortunately…anyone in such a venue would prefer a bold and black reticle, which the SS delivers.
Here’s the best case scenario you’ll see on a bright day. Again, bad pic quality - the clarity of the reticle isn't sufficiently represented here:
DSCN1134_zps5f84d463.jpg

The eye relief is very generous at 3.75 inches. I find that an extended mount is preferred. There’s more play in the mounting to allow for both a centered turret position or a NTCH set up. I use a NTCH, to which the mount pictured (Bobro 30mm extended) permits. Make reference that the turrets on the 1-6 sit further forward than the 1-4 version. So depending on the mount you use, this will play into which one you want to purchase.

I also like the cost of the SS line. Whereas so many quality optics on the market start at the $1250+ range, I’d like to think I’m not alone in stating that my wallet isn’t a regurgitating fountain of Benjamins. Cost matters. Quality matters. Features matter. So where does one draw the line? That’s a personal choice.

All said and done I was, am, and will continue to hit some impressive groups with the gun this scope sits on. It’s a standard BCM 16” midlength gov’t profile upper, Bushmaster lower with a Gissele trigger group. The rest is gravy. I really like the room-clearing aspect of the SS’ 1x circle, the accurate floating dot of the 6x FFP crosshairs, the glass quality, the extended eye relief, the aesthetics, and the cost.

My last point of note – is that while I really like the 1-6 version of the SS HD, I can’t end this review without saying the 1-4 is still an excellent option. One could likely find some good deals on the EE as the 1-6 starts weaving its way into the masses. I observe that the 1-4’s 1x circle reticle is useful for an additional 10+/- yard beyond the 1-6 version. At 4x the reticle is very adept for precision shooting to the extent you can target some vitals. Not sure I’d dump a 4x SS for the sole purpose of getting a 6x SS…point being. Both are sound optics.

In summary, the 1-6x is a fantastic addition to the SS line. There are a host of solid options of variable scopes out there to pick from. Regardless of what you choose, the SS should make your list of considerations, at a minimum. Thanks for reading, safe shooting! I’m happy to answer any questions on points I neglected to touch on.

Last edited:
Thank you, Hokie!! I really like mine too. I had SHTF on my mind when looking for a low variable too. I wanted more power than the 1-4x, and a reticle that does exactly what the SS 1-6 does. I never found one until Jon A. did that review on the proto over a year ago. I'm glad SHTF didn't happen while waiting in the group buy. I'm ready now.

This is an awesome scope for the blue collar guy at it's price point of $1000. I can't believe I only paid $800.

And yes it's all about this reticle, for me it is, all the other features make this scope a solid win win.

Few of my shameful ego stroking pics.....

Attachments

• IMG_0961.jpg
    IMG_0961.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0963.jpg
    IMG_0963.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0962.jpg
    IMG_0962.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Thank you, Hokie!! I really like mine too. I had SHTF on my mind when looking for a low variable too. I wanted more power than the 1-4x, and a reticle that does exactly what the SS 1-6 does. I never found one until Jon A. did that review on the proto over a year ago. I'm glad SHTF didn't happen while waiting in the group buy. I'm ready now.

This is an awesome scope for the blue collar guy at it's price point of $1000. I can't believe I only paid $800.

And yes it's all about this reticle, for me it is, all the other features make this scope a solid win win.

Few of my shameful ego stroking pics.....

NoFail you have got to change your avatar. I am unable to focus on anything else in this thread.

Joe

I understand, Joe, but if when I post something pretty stupid you will soon forget about it and remain focused on said avatar. It simply has to work.....

I applaud the technique! Simple, transparent, and.....uh......hmm.....where was I going with this? Lol...

Okay... Back to the scope, this truly bad ass two scopes in one, if you will, package we can all have now, at a incredible price point. Just don't look to the left anymore!!!