• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Revolver question

fxdwgkd

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2013
NE Indiana
Friend of mine bought this taurus sight unseen. Barrel is "cocked" to the side a bit. Can see the machining does not line up and front sight is off center. I am unfamiliar with how these are put together. Can it be put into vise a squared up?

Attachments

• IMG_20210411_111400716.jpg
    IMG_20210411_111400716.jpg
    282.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20210411_111354292.jpg
    IMG_20210411_111354292.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 73
It can be done, but I strongly recommend an action wrench to fit the frame. I've seen more than one revolver frame "twisted", from improper support while trying to move the barrel.

Reactions: lash
Out of nothing other than idle curiosity; can it be safely fired like that?

It can be done, but I strongly recommend an action wrench to fit the frame. I've seen more than one revolver frame "twisted", from improper support while trying to move the barrel.
I have seen more than a few with the frame cracked from not using the proper fixture. If that barrel is tight where it is you probably need to dust off the shoulder with a lathe. That is if you can get it off.. Stainless on stainless.... That could be the reason it stopped where it did.

Out of nothing other than idle curiosity; can it be safely fired like that?

It's probably fine to shoot as-is, assuming the barrel/cylinder gap is appropriate and the cylinder is in time. There will likely be an offset in the rear sight (assuming it's adjustable) to account for the off center front sight.

it a taurus.....so chances are it came that way from the factory, and they did it intentionally as a way to zero the gun or set the cylinder gap.

its not uncommon for cheaper revolvers ( and even some smiths) to come from the factory with canted barrels.

Taurus has a lifetime buyer transferable warranty. I dont like their guns, but i like the way they stand by what they make. Just send it back for repairs.