• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rework or replace R700 action.

Old Dude

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2018
My new to me rifle has had not a lot of rounds thru it. It shoot adaquite for my learning curve right now. Under 1 inch. Stock 700 action and bbl in 300 wm question is. Do I have someone here in the LA area bush , true, flute polish. And put a great bbl on it our do I go straight to a big name and buy a great action with a killer bbl that fits my AI chassis. The trigger on this is fine for now. 2.5 to 3 # no creep or overtravel. I think the tricked out stocker will serve me fine as a beginner. But if the money is near replacement cost then why mess around. Iookinh to get into the mile and better shooting. Not competing though. I’m to old for that. Just some bench or prone shooting. Thinking of 7mm/300wm. 30 inch bbl. any good smiths in LA/Orange County. I like boomers. Oh yeah. It’s a Long action. I have to single feed cause the lands are so deep.
Bob

There are at least three new low cost custom actions coming soon that would probably be a better foundation for a custom rifle than a trued 700.

ARC Nucleus, Big Horn Origin and I think a Defiance action. All are $1,000 or less and won't need any gunsmith work, especially if you buy a pre-fit barrel from a company like PVA, use a barrel nut system or the ARC Barloc.

I think they all accept Remington 700 parts like chassis and triggers.

Instead of spending hundreds on gunsmithing work, spend a few hundred more and have two rifles or at least two barreled actions.

If she shoots sub MOA with factory ammo I'd say start loading for it, shoot the barrel out and then cross that bridge. Could always consider doing a rem-age or similar when the barrel is toast. Worst case is you shoot the barrel out and sell the action and don't come out too far behind. Plus you can keep the stock for the next gun as most custom actions use the 700 footprint anyway.

My biggest mistake when I had my first custom built was basing it off a regular R700 action. The performance was fine but I could have had many more features for just a bit more money. I'd base it off an ARC Nucleus or Bighorn Origin if I was having a starter rifle built again today.

Reactions: Old Dude
Wow I’ve looked at a bunch of great actions today. I’m leaning toward just a tune to get me thru the learning period. I have so very much to learn. I truly had no clue which one of those fit my needs. Maybe after a few Thousand rounds down range I’ll be able to make a knowledgeable decision. My groups are getting tighter as my powder loads are going up. Time to break out the Chrony .

I second shooter65’s recommendation. I bought a trued rem700 action last fall and put a mccrees barrel kit in 6mm creedmoor, it’s sub half moa with Hornady 108 ELDM factory loads. I know there have been pretty off putting statements from the company about their patents. But, my experiences talking with Scott on the phone have been great, he has been very helpful, heck he even gave me the most sound barrel break in advice I’ve ever heard.

I would say buy one of these and when you burn out that barrel get a custom action.

Reactions: Old Dude
Yeah I have so much to learn. This is so far hands down the best forum I’ve found. Lots of activity. Plenty of ideas I’m sure in 6 months to a year there will be new wiz bang toys to drool over and I’ll know much better what suits my abilities.

Yeah I have so much to learn. This is so far hands down the best forum I’ve found. Lots of activity. Plenty of ideas I’m sure in 6 months to a year there will be new wiz bang toys to drool over and I’ll know much better what suits my abilities.
Every January at SHOT Show is when companies release their new products for the year. Just lurk around here for a few months before making a big purchase, you'll be good to go.

When I started hand loading for my 300wm was when it really started to shine. Even though I was jumping bullets a mile to the lands. It didn't take long to shoot out the factory barrel. You might check out LRI. With the action in hand, it would cost you more than a couple hundred more to go custom VS having LRI true it and fit the barrel. Last I knew they were building B/As in a couple weeks. I have had a few done there. Spent 600-900 on each. Check out their website, they have a lot of different options.

If you have the action and just want it squared up and a barrel fitted, it's probably worth it.

When you want to start adding fluted bolts and a side bolt release, you're starting to get into the price of an aftermarket action that will be something a R700 will never be. If you are doing a price comparison, make sure you compare apples to apples as best as you can. Make sure you include in your R700 total price the recoil lug, scope rail, upgrading to 8-40 screws, side bolt release, mini-M16 or equivalent extractor, bushed firing pin, bolt fluting, and the rest of the truing job. Those are things the aftermarket action will have.

Reactions: jram
I think just the truing. I can wait for the ginger bread when I get my big boy pants. This I what I bought.
2E5AC232-DFD2-4481-BFA4-0F641635C8D4.jpeg

I’d keep your current rifle as is.

Then later build an entirely new rifle based off an aftermarket action and new barrel.

Then you have 2 rifles. Problem solved.

Reactions: Rubicon Precision