• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Training Courses Rex Defense

BagleyOutdoors

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2018
Because this is an entity of that is offering training, I found this thread most applicable to here in the Training Section.

I’m just curious of people’s thoughts on this. I am not a sniper nor ever participated in such training. Just a dude who loves long range shooting and bettering myself. But I follow American Rifles Serious on Instagram and find their content hilarious. However, I came across this post of theirs regarding Rex Defense and the “training” content. I guess there is live fire at the students. Here is the video and within minutes of it, the students are being “fired at” to locate the sniper in the brush.

Just opening up for everyone’s thoughts since @Lowlight aso stated on the Everyday Sniper Podcast that he’s (now since occurred) going to a seminar.

I’m not starting this to throw people under buses, but just curious of opinions regarding safety.

D26B6752-726F-4FFA-BBA2-AD836B123A8B.jpeg
4BD1467B-5F3B-491D-B4BE-E59D2B4E2E0E.jpeg
58E40BB2-5348-429F-BDB0-97D8AE5B1F87.jpeg

He is just a guy who made some vids and put them on you tube. While Frank is correct that some of the info is a little dated, I mostly enjoyed his videos. They are certainly far better than the DVD's I bought from magpul.

He is just a guy who made some vids and put them on you tube. While Frank is correct that some of the info is a little dated, I mostly enjoyed his videos. They are certainly far better than the DVD's I bought from magpul.
I agree. Watched his whole Sniper 101 series.

Reactions: Tommydean

You were pretty fair on the course; however, the class is advertised as a “tier-1” course. I guess my question is, did the class “bring you lightyears ahead of the game in just two days”? Because that’s how it’s advertised. Honestly sounds like it’s a $600 meet and greet from someone you watch on YouTube

You were pretty fair on the course; however, the class is advertised as a “tier-1” course. I guess my question is, did the class “bring you lightyears ahead of the game in just two days”? Because that’s how it’s advertised. Honestly sounds like it’s a $600 meet and greet from someone you watch on YouTube
I took one of Rex's classes. It was a compilation of the 101 series in a two day course. I enjoyed it! I got some additional info above and beyond the 101. I would do it again. I enjoy Rex and his videos. I definitely see a lot less ego in his classes than on this forum. He is laid back, honest, no ego, and just trying to pass on his info to those willing to learn. Maybe I am "A different segment"?

What I found interesting is that I did the online training here and about two weeks of listening to Frank's voice, I couldn't do it anymore. Something about his voice/presentation just does not resonate with me. I don't think it was attitude or anything like that, just his voice. I listen to a lot of Podcast at work and I find this happens with a lot of people. I can totally be in tune with what they are saying, but the voice and presentation just doesn't mesh with my brain. It sucks, because it sounds like Frank has a lot to share. Maybe I need to take one of his classes and see if it doesn't change my mind.

Reactions: HenryHester
From what I’ve seen second hand from a class at our range, is that the focus and much of the energy is on items that while true, are not key to our shooting success for most of our shots.

As one example, focusing on temp changes every 10* across a large range of temps in your dope sheets, BUT ONLY 25 yards; is focusing on and putting the priorities on the wrong item. Sure they make for colorful sheets, but add more noise and time to read them. It’s also ironic as most are shooting targets and distances, with most of their shots not effected outside the rounding numbers by 10*. Heck, positional offsets are often larger.

I’d rather see the information on temp induced changes with “true” & not rounded 1/10 elevation changes and at what distances/temps to apply the simple field cheats.. just like I rather see information like the mil wind disseminated. As another example, most distances where you'd true your velocity or even the average PRS target distance, small temp changes make little impact. Once most shooter understand where to really apply temp and wind shortcuts and how not to get screwed by loops or dead space when ranging, their field skills go way up.

You can over talk anything, make big deals out of tiny bits of facts..... but that isn’t the short cut to learning and certainty not to shooting well.

The more advanced instructors understanding the field cheats and simplifying the data is going to get you on targets faster and more often.

Hell, from what I’ve seen, a class on how dead space can dick with your perception, screw up your PLRF return and have one miss repeatedly might be up there with a class on wind... not to mention optical issues.

Oh... damn, never mind, you can’t teach that well in a class room only setting..

Last edited:
I'm amazed that Frank felt it was worthwhile to spend his own money to do this when he did not have a dog in the fight and he knew going in that Rex was not a peer competitor. Now having listened to the podcast I see how by watching the instruction style and observing student comprehensions Frank was able to add to his body of professional knowledge.

Wow that is the mark of a real pro.

I'm not really sure that it was fair to compare Rex to Frank, though if Rex is half the guy I think he is he will listen to the podcast and perhaps condense some portions of his presentation. In my mind the more fair compare was to the idiot that made the DVD's for Magpul and that Magpul sold to me. In that compare Rex would have really shined.

I was a machinist and a tool and die maker for most of my working life. I do not have any desire to check how concentric to the bore the chamber is, this is for fun. I'll just buy my barrels from people who can be trusted to do it correctly. Then I'll shoot it until I need a new one. I agree with Frank that info like that should not be part of the main course of instruction for a sport shooter. Perhaps at the end of the provided booklet there should be an section on "why won't my rifle shoot."

For myself I can continue to improve by better recoil management and better trigger control.

Last edited:
Fudds. I’ve said it once and I’ll say it again, it’s the low brow segment.

Honestly, I think he serves the newer shooter interested in tactical long range that is internet savvy.. The people looking to youtube for answers.. The sniper-ish sounding dialog reals them in.. not so much the Fudds.

But in truth the drawn out game lingo... target is XXX, shooter on target, confirm target, target is XXX, confirmed, on target, send when ready, sending.... stuff hurts my head and sounds like marbles.. but you-tubers love it..

I have to agree with @Diver160651 on this. I think his Youtube content is good for drawing people into the game. It's like any other discipline. Take pistol shooting for instance. Many people buy a pistol and go to a range and feel like they're gunfighters after a couple hours. A small percentage of those people will have a thirst for more and seek out training and sources of knowledge or competitions etc. Same thing here. I'd bet there are several people active on the Hide now who got started with or partly because of Rex's videos. Not saying it's right, or wrong. Just that it's precision shooting has as many uneducated's as every other segment of the firearm industry.

That said, if he's shooting at or near his students in class he's wrong. No excuses.

IMO, all joking aside, I think es very good at getting people involved in this discipline who may have otherwise not gotten into it.

The black rifle arfer surfing YouTube who stumbles upon his channel. A really personable guy who gives out seemingly good info that seems fun and stress free.

Kinda like someone who stumbles upon Plaster’s books and gets into it.

Then they either A) never go above the Rex stuff and either have fun plinking at steel or piddle around in some local matches or B) keep looking for knowledge and stumble onto this site or into one of the better instructors out there.

While I in no way take a lot of his stuff seriously, I’m betting people would be shocked if there was a way to quantify the amount of new to this discipline shooters he’s brought in.

I just watched the first couple of minutes of the combat command fire video and everyone in it are dumb fucks. Why would anyone knowingly let someone fire live rounds at their position? Bunch of fucking idiots with their operator beards and camo.

I took one of Rex's classes. It was a compilation of the 101 series in a two day course. I enjoyed it! I got some additional info above and beyond the 101. I would do it again. I enjoy Rex and his videos. I definitely see a lot less ego in his classes than on this forum. He is laid back, honest, no ego, and just trying to pass on his info to those willing to learn. Maybe I am "A different segment"?

What I found interesting is that I did the online training here and about two weeks of listening to Frank's voice, I couldn't do it anymore. Something about his voice/presentation just does not resonate with me. I don't think it was attitude or anything like that, just his voice. I listen to a lot of Podcast at work and I find this happens with a lot of people. I can totally be in tune with what they are saying, but the voice and presentation just doesn't mesh with my brain. It sucks, because it sounds like Frank has a lot to share. Maybe I need to take one of his classes and see if it doesn't change my mind.

Just goes to show that it’s different for everybody. It took me an episode or two to get used to Frank’s kinda high-pitched, scratchy, pre-pubescent voice (just messing with you, Frank!). :ROFLMAO: But now he’s the voice of experience and reason, and I look forward to each new episode or rant he puts out. After nearly 200 episodes, he and the other guys have found a home as the #1 podcast on my phone.

Rex, on the other hand... I can’t really stand the guy. I’m sure Frank’s right in that he’s probably a really nice guy. But his mannerisms and how he presents himself drive me up the wall. It’s not just how he sounds, it’s a combo of that plus exactly what Frank points out in the podcast. The guy is like NutNFancy or whatever, because he truly struggles to give you a straight answer. Info that should take you 5min to cover (in technical detail) takes Rex four times as long. Cut the crap, I ain’t got all day!

I just watched the first couple of minutes of the combat command fire video and everyone in it are dumb fucks. Why would anyone knowingly let someone fire live rounds at their position? Bunch of fucking idiots with their operator beards and camo.

Holy crap! I just watched the video. I can not imagine why it would be necessary to fire near my Clients. It would have been an interesting class otherwise. But, nothing that is necessary at the amateur level.

Didn’t James Yeager do something similar?

Last edited:
Reactions: Mike4837
Holy crap! I just watched the video. I can not imagine why it would be necessary to fire near my Clients. It would have been an interesting class otherwise. But, nothing that is necessary at the amateur level.

Didn’t James Yager do something similar?
Yeager, and a few others less well-known, yes. I can’t for the life of me understand why people think this is ok. If I went to a class and they said, “ok guys. Hold still cuz we’re going to shoot at you now.” I’d be gone before they finished speaking the words. It’s completely unacceptable. But I think it appeals to ignorant people who think that’s what “tier-1” guys do and this they should too.

IMO, all joking aside, I think es very good at getting people involved in this discipline who may have otherwise not gotten into it.

The black rifle arfer surfing YouTube who stumbles upon his channel. A really personable guy who gives out seemingly good info that seems fun and stress free.

Then they either A) never go above the Rex stuff and either have fun plinking at steel or piddle around in some local matches or B) keep looking for knowledge and stumble onto this site or into one of the better instructors out there.

While I in no way take a lot of his stuff seriously, I’m betting people would be shocked if there was a way to quantify the amount of new to this discipline shooters he’s brought in.
That is exactly how I got into precision shooting. Watched Sniper 101, found the hide.

At this point I don't give a damn about yaw or w.e else physics happens to the bullet in my barrel or in flight. I just want to get my fundamentals down, set up my ballistic calculator properly and learn to read the wind better.

I agree with folks above, last year when I was on the ramp of wanting to get into this discipline, his videos, Cleckners book were early sources. This site, people on this site who answered dumb questions, coached, disspell bad or less important information, and real training classes including the paid section all quickly demonstrate the difference in content and focus.

Last edited:
I went to a Rex Defense seminar and live fire.

My experience at the seminar was exactly how Frank described in his podcast.

The live fire was a shit show, there were also people there who didn't attend the seminars, which seemed shady as it was billed as a prerequisite. There didn't seem to be a plan, and while safety was stressed there, there were several safety violations I saw that could have been solved with better planning and communication.

The second day of training the instructors did a drunken livestream on youtube well past midnight, and showed up, after most of the students, looking like hell for the last day of class. It seemed like they overbooked the class too, I think roughly 30 students, who like I said earlier, some had not attended the seminar, I was left with the impression they were here to party and collect rather than instruct. I in no way think this is Rex's MO, but the impression was left either way.

I wish all the best to Rex and his crew and do not harbor any ill will. I am still grateful of his videos as they helped lay down a foundation for me, I tend to learn the better on my own, I feel like his videos gave me a good roadmap to do that. Rex himself is a very personable, friendly and intelligent, yet perhaps slightly paranoid guy with absolutely no ego, which I think is the great appeal to him.

My greatest takeaway from attending the classes was that Rex Defense is there to fill a niche in rifle training.

Whatever that niche is however, I ain't in it.

This was further confirmed to me when I saw the CCF live fire video.

Last edited:
Mr lowlight, I listened to your podcast regarding the Rex Defense seminar.

1st, thanks for taking the time to go to the class and share your thoughts about the experience. I was curious to hear a review. So thanks again for the debriefing.

2nd, I think you could of condensed it down to 10 minutes. (I think you get it. haha)

One thing I did like about Rex was his optic reviews. Some of the best I've seen.

Reactions: Fat Dark Earth

I have no problem admitting I’m from the column B side.

This is my concern. I saw the meme that I attached, did a bit of digging, and was shocked.

Damn!
I can’t believe what I just saw!

I can’t even believe he has that video out in public!

Reactions: Fig and Changed
I'm fairly new to precision shooting. I've been shooting a bit all my life, learned young as my dad taught me to hunt, but didn't get as serious as I am now until the last couple of years. I've learned a lot on YouTube. I can't say I've ever learned anything from rex though. If anyone has a fucked voice it's him, not Frank ?

When I bought my first precision rifle 4 years ago, I watched the entire Sniper101 series. I mean, it was a good place to start and get exposed to some content HOWEVER it was unbelievably long winded. Some of the videos go on for hours talking about spin-drift, coriolis, magnus effect, etc... Frank's videos on trigger control, recoil management, building positions, and wind reading helped me improve much more

Well I for one. Appreciate what he has brought to the table. Specially the old school ways. But then again I appreciate any and all thoughts and methods. And I wanna learn everything I possibly can. And if I sit for an hour to get 10 min. Of learning then so be it.
I've watched all his videos and I'm in the process of of watching all of Frank's videos. I've watched videos from others. All of which I appreciate very much. Information is key wether it's right or wrong. And how can you put a price on knowledge that one day may save your life.
I'm a new guy here. But I understand what it takes to be a professional. And it's a mentality that has served me well in the NASCAR community. One of the most cut throat industries there is.
Never once have I ever had a problem moving from team to team. Because of my work ethic. I want to learn I want to learn everything I can and people know that. So with that being said I am a humble person. That believes in giving credit. Credit being at least he is trying. Yes I think that he explains to much at times. But at the same time I wish Frank would explain some things better also. But again at least they are trying. No I'm in no click and don't wanna be. But all I can say to the haters is " can you do better"
So please be respectful and not bash your fellow country man that are trying to educate the people

This is not money well-spent.

Frank and I had a desire to "get to the bottom of this" and see just what this guy was peddling that made so many attracted to him. Come to find out it was "snake oil". I had to push Frank hard to go to it, then I had to push him harder to make him stay. LOL Some time after they walked out after 10 hours on Day One and the beginning of the second day, "Rex" learned that that guy over there is THE Frank Galli. (oh shit moment). Therefore he introduced Frank and started requesting his input whenever he got bogged down in his own material and to keep from exposing himself as a poser.

Rex, is a shooter, but not an instructor. A shooter creates a YouTube channel when long-range shooting is growing and everyone Googling "Long Range Shooting" gets pushed to a channel with the word "SNIPER" in it. At that point the hook is set. An empty hook. To even use the word "sniper" is blasphemous to those who have served in the position and true snipers will eventually expose you as a fraud or at minimal, a POSER.

This fellow has no fundamentals to speak of, just rants and blows hot air using catchy terms and making shooters feel good about hanging out with him. Nothing in the way of original thought will ever come from someone with such a basic understanding, just regurgitated information previously codified.

Frank was being very KIND in his Podcast Critique, in the way that a prisoner gets "Stockholm Syndrome" toward a captor.

If you want to spend your money on INSTRUCTION, spend it on HANDS-ON INSTRUCTION. Hopefully from someone with more than shooting experience only.

This being said, if I find that "Rex" is bringing his $600 meet-and-greet to Alaska, he will find my smiling face front and center. Just to rattle his nerves if for no other reason.,

--- Taylor

I got the basics of long range shooting from the Sniper 101 videos, when I took a class the learning curve wasn't as steep for me. I don't like to be unprepared for training so for a total beginner not an altogether bad place to get the very basics of ballistics. Alternatively I bought the damn Magpul videos and after watching them didn't learn anything and I watched them first! So I appreciate Rex's videos for that. Are they gonna make you a competitive shooter or killer diller super Sniper? No.

Reactions: Tommydean
One thing I did like about Rex was his optic reviews. Some of the best I've seen.

Ok you’ve GOT to be kidding here right?

A shit load of paid-for-positive primary arms junk reviews is not a good reviewer. It’s like saying MrGuns&Gear is a good reviewer.

The guy doesn’t know his ass from a hole in the ground about the optics business, either. Some of his explanations are literally wrong, some are misleading, and some are just lies because he obviously gets cash/free shit like a lot of YouTubers.

A “snipery” guy telling how good an ACSS reticle is for “getting out there” is lying or stupid.

Ok you’ve GOT to be kidding here right?

A shit load of paid-for-positive primary arms junk reviews is not a good reviewer. It’s like saying MrGuns&Gear is a good reviewer.

The guy doesn’t know his ass from a hole in the ground about the optics business, either. Some of his explanations are literally wrong, some are misleading, and some are just lies because he obviously gets cash/free shit like a lot of YouTubers.

A “snipery” guy telling how good an ACSS reticle is for “getting out there” is lying or stupid.

The ACSS reticle has its place. I have an 18-inch AR with a 1-8x ACSS and have no problem hitting a 10-inch plate at 600 yards with my hand loads. There's no reason to hate on gun-tubers, they each have unique content that appeals to a certain market but they support shooting sports - which we NEED at this time. It's funny because channels like IraqVeteran8888, Mrgunsngear, etc have unapologetically poor long rifle fundamentals and they openly admit that they're not precision rifle channels. 8541 Tactical, SnipersHide, and Rex Tibor are dedicated to the precision rifle market, so you can hold those channels accountable for what they say.

He shoots at his students. That, and only that, is what MAKES it “Tier 1”...

I take it all back. What a fucking retard. All I can say is I hope it’s not you who dies on your way to being an OAF “sniper”, because someone is going to die eventually if they keep doing that. Gun safety is not a suggestion made by nancyboy non-operators.

No waiver is going to protect those retards when they kill some insurance salesman who thinks he’s a sniper.

Hat tip @abn31c

Yeah...

Not only is that an accident waiting for a time and place to happen, but check this video out. At 55:40 in, what the hell is this trash?! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Maybe a teaser for a future Rex Defense defeating the dreadful leprechaun course!

• Haha
Reactions: Basher