• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rezeroing advice

Flashman

Private
Minuteman
Apr 23, 2019
Hi all.

I'm replacing a broken scope ring with a one piece mount and wondered if I should optically recentre my scope before zeroing or whether its beneficial to leave it as is and see how close to my original zero (100m) it is on paper before making any adjustmen?. Previous rings were 12 or 13mm from picstinng clamp to bottom of ring centre, and new ones are app 15mm for same measurement. Also.....if I do recentre my scope optically what is the best method? Winding in one direction then counting the clicks back to midway, using a mirror as seen on YouTube, or.....one that I've never heard of until watching you tube......winning elevation all the way up and windage all the way right in order to relieve spring tension then bringing each one to center by alternating wind age and elevation 10 clicks at a time?

Scope is a bushnell elite tac xrs 2

Regards

1660262909433.gif

Just go shoot it at a rock on the berm, adjust if necessary and put it on paper to fine tune.

If it was zeroed in rings before it’ll probably be on paper already.

Reactions: NewsShooter
I always take 1 shot at 50m to check for anything strange.

Reactions: Maciej
If you zero optics enough times, you’ll figure out that it’s a pretty simple process that doesn’t require a lot of over thinking. If you don’t have a lot of experience, I understand it can seem like a daunting task. I can already see at least one person in this thread that needs to be reminded that everyone is a beginner at something.

To answer your question, no, getting back to optical center is barking up the wrong tree. It doesn’t matter. The measurements of the new vs old rings doesn’t matter. What I’d suggest is you mount your scope in the new rings (properly, with a torque wrench) and bore sight it just to get it on paper at 100 yards. Are you familiar with the method of bore sighting yourself by removing the bolt and looking down the barrel? If not just say so, and I (or someone else) can explain it.

Once you bore sight it and get a hit on paper at 100 yards, just spin the turrets until the reticle lines up on the hole.

It’ll take some practice, but once you figure it out it won’t take more than 5 shots to zero an optic.

don't take it off you won't or should not have to zero it more than once mine has been good for 3 to 4 years .

Reactions: CBDR
Just mount it in the new mount and start at 25 yards.

Adjust accordingly, then go to 100 yards.