• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing RFI: Target Stock Butt Plate System ID

kft101

Objective
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2009
NY
Hi, all.

I need some help in identifying the adjustable butt plate system that’s installed on a pre 64 Winchester M70 target rifle that I just picked up.

It’s made of aluminum and has a vertical slot for the rear piece to adjust for height, which is secured by two screws on the back. Mainly looking to ID it to see if the sliding rear piece can be replaced with one that has some rubber or other padding on it so my aging shoulder doesn’t get pounded by solid metal every time I shoot the rifle.

Thanks.

D9FF0D84-110E-4661-90FC-4A6208839954.jpeg
93FC064B-0E62-4C23-92B5-945D3F919EF8.jpeg

Last edited:
Greetings,
It's a copy of a Freeland.
John

Thanks for the info. I actually pulled the end plate off and unless another party stamped his name on the base, it looks like it’s an original Al Freeland butt system.

Question is, does anyone still make or sell replacement end plates (with a rubber or other soft pad) for this, or am I better off replacing the system with something more modern and available? Searching online, it seems the past vendors of this system are no longer in business or in a perpetual “out of stock” status.

Thanks again.

2C996A8B-BBC7-4CA9-A160-6182E224971D.jpeg