• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report RG4895 results

223ai

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 28, 2006
Texas
All -

Wideners has the following powder in stock:

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=8969&dir=278|283|313

I've never used surplus powder, but the price seemed right so I bought 16lbs to load with. The rifle is as follows:

- worked over FN SPR action (bushed FP hole, lapping, etc...)
- Brux 10 twist, finished at 20", threaded
- McMillan A3, bedded
- CDI Bottom metal, bedded to stock
- SB 4-16, P4F
- Chambered in .308 match

Ken Porter, at Porter Precision (Lake Jackson, TX) put this together..and he did a hell of a job. He is a great gunsmith, but an even nicer guy. I would recommend him to anyone.

Each round was loaded to 2.800" COAL with 155 Scenars, and cci 200 primers. Brass was o/f winchester, FL sized to bump the shoulder .001", and trimmed on my Giraud trimmer.

I started at 44.2 grains, and worked up to 46.3 with no pressure. I need to buy a tripod so that I chrono the load, but QL is showing that I should be at about 2850fps, which is just fine with me.

I had the best accuracy with the highest charge at just under .5 moa for five shots at 100yds...and I am no shooter.

No pics, but I sure had fun at the range, and this powder really impressed me.

Josh

P.S. shooting with a can is a lot of fun, I highly recommend it!

Re: RG4895 results

Mil surp 4895 is good stuff

LOad a tad longer
46.6 is golden

Re: RG4895 results

I say load em out even longer than that. CDI uses the AICS mags so load em to 2.86-2.88 and be good...

I load mine to 2.40 (measured from Ogive)... and still feed in mags fine.

-Wil