• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rhineland Arms Leopard Stocks review, R700 & 10/22

Fortyfiveautomatic

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2011
Well this pertains to both a bolt and a semi gun, so I hope it's okay to put this here.

A while back someone on here pointed me to Rhineland for a cool 10/22 stock. My Hogue stock, while nice and grippy, never free floated the barrel properly and after shimming it every which way with cut up soda cans I decided to get the Leopard stock. I opted for the composite black finish, which ended up costing $155 shipped via Paypal.

The stock comes with an adjustable comb height cheek rest and LOP-adjustable butt pad. The big knurled thumb screws are a breeze to operate and save you from having to use an allen wrench. I found that for my cheapo Wal-Mart CenterPoint scope, the comb height set all the way down was still a touch too high, so I'll probably need to pick up some high rings for it. The scope btw sports a ton of awesome features for the price, to include green and red illuminated mildot reticle, 4-16 magnification, parallax adjustment, and locking turrets. With the butt pad set all the way in, the LOP was perfect for the way I shoot.

Just like other reviewers online have said, the stocks are cut super tight. Mine could benefit from a little sanding, but I found that I was able to sort of muscle the action in to get it into the stock. There is a cam in the rear of the stock that grabs the gap between the trigger group and the receiver, which keeps everything stable as a rock. The stock fully free floats on the end, but I like a generous amount of space between barrel and stock so I still found myself placing a small washer between the receiver and the stock to get just a little more clearance.

Took it out to the range today. The rifle is built from a 10/22 carbine with a 16" ADCO chopped, threaded, & crowned Green Mountain .920 barrel, (on clearance from Cabela's for $80 :] ) and EGW 20 MOA scope rail. Aside from stock, scope rail, and barrel, everything is bone stock. The can on the end is an SWR Spectre.

wibbxlu.jpg

Shooting some shit Remington subsonic ammo, 10-shot groups like this were typical at 50 yds:

Gr0TvY9.jpg

The group measured about 0.80" I imagine with a Volquartsen or Kidd trigger and some Eley match ammo I could shrink that a little further.

When the folks down at Rhineland Arms also mentioned that they were making some of these stocks for the Remington 700, I couldn't resist, especially at the price. Now previously I had an H-S Precision Remington 5R take-off stock, which is an excellent stock but I felt it was lacking a few areas. First, the comb is not adjustable, so I had to make do with cut-up mousepads and my Eagle stock pack, a less than elegant solution for getting the right cheek weld. Additionally, some folks like the H-S palm swell built into this and similar stocks, but I never did. My pinky finger would always hang off the bottom of it; it just felt unnatural. On top of all that I needed to have the swivel studs reinforced due to their penchant for stripping out of the bedding block.

For less than the cost of a typical DBM I got the entire stock, which features a beefy aluminum main body, adjustable comb height cheek rest, spring loaded recoil pad, extended magazine release (it takes AI pattern magazines), and numerous 10-32 threaded mounting points along the stock for attaching bipods, sling swivel studs, monopods, etc.

I torqued the supplied action screws to 65 in-lbs onto the rail, which then installs into the stock body. I got the same composite finish as on my 10/22 stock. I picked up a 10-round .308 AccurateMag originally intended for a Ruger Scout rifle from CTD for about $60 shipped. The Harris bipod went in next after installation of a simple sling stud, and after adjusting the comb height for the 10x Super Sniper it was ready to go.

CvkZi8C.jpg

The SS scope has always been a little bit of a pain due to its picky eye relief. If you run one of these scopes, the value of a properly adjusted comb cannot be overstated. I don't know how I ever shot a scoped rifle without one.

Out at the range, I needed a couple of shots to sight in. Using some Remington green box .308, I could shoot groups like this at 100 yards (the smaller holes are .22lr winchester x-perts from the previous gun):

CgBNzPn.jpg

Center-to-center maximum was 1.3", not too shabby but nothing special I guess.

The best group of the day came from Federal Gold Medal Match.

aUw2N1r.jpg

This 4-shot group measures a touch over 0.75" (only had 4 rounds :\)

I feel that the biggest limitations to my accuracy are the X-Mark Pro trigger and the scope. While looking through the scope is now much easier with the adjusted comb, it still seems like the sight picture is flighty and your head needs to be positioned just right. Once I get my reloading press set up again I can work up an optimum load for this setup, and maybe after a Timney or Jewell trigger and a scope upgrade it will be a consistent sub-MOA stick.

The recoil pad on the stock is a nice touch, not so much for mitigating the modest recoil of the .308 (which it did wonderfully), but for getting back on target quickly. I found that the sights didn't deviate as much from the target after each shot than with the H-S Precision stock that was previously installed on the gun.

Perhaps one of the biggest improvements over the H-S stock is the grip. The shape of it allows easy straight-to-the-rear trigger pulls, and the grippy composite finish keeps your hand from slipping, unlike the relatively smooth H-S stock's grip.

Both stocks ran me $420 via Paypal, shipped. To me this was a freaking steal considering that a Badger DBM alone would have set me back $350 and would have been placed in that H-S stock that I didn't particularly like. The wait time was reasonable; I ordered on Feb 28 and I received the stocks on March 19.

Bottom line: I'm extremely satisfied with these purchases. Rhineland makes a damn good product.