• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rhodesian Browning A5 Combat Shotgun

buffalowinter

Freer of the Oppressed
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 17, 2014
    Llano, TX
    One of my current projects is a copy of the Rhodesian Browning A5 Combat Shotgun.

The original 12ga Browning as used by the Rhodesian Army.
    wm_9778998.jpg

My pre-WWII Browning A5 donor gun.
    browning ar 5 for rhodesia a5.jpg

My gun will have an early "Heads Up" optic as used in the P-51 Mustang gun sight.

DSCF0508.JPG

DSCF0505.JPG
    DSCF0504.JPG

In progress
    DSCF0497.JPG

DSCF0501.JPG

DSCF0502.JPG

Better one of your A5s than one of mine. I have several Belgum ones and the limbs are all completely intact. Buy one of the ones where the front limb is split (for cheap) rather than cutting on a pristine one.

Reactions: Anb618
    Better one of your A5s than one of mine. I have several Belgum ones and the limbs are all completely intact. Buy one of the ones where the front limb is split (for cheap) rather than cutting on a pristine one.
    The gun cost $500 on Gunbroker...hardly a collectors item. The stock was in good condition for it's age but still had a small carck in the forend. I sold the stock on ebay for $200, bringing my total investment to $300. The replacement stock and forends in the photos are modern replacements. The extended forearm is made by grafting two forends together . The extension tube is custom made by myself . The gun, if I decide to sell it, would be worth around 1.5K. I built one that is a copy of the Rhodesian A5 but is based on a Remington model 11, much like the one in Ian's video below.

Remington type Rhodesian A5

My Rhodesian A5 using a Remington 11 rather than Browning A5.
    DSCF0423.JPG

DSCF0424.JPG

DSCF0432.JPG

DSCF0515.JPG

Last edited:
    I didn’t even know these existed until recently. Definitely a cool project, can’t wait to see how it turns out.

Reactions: Uhlan and shoobe01
    I have the Winchester barrel cocker version that i wish could be turned into something like this!

@sirhrmechanic It wouldn’t happen to be Tim Bax would it? I’ve been reading everything I can get my hands on about the Bush War and finished Three Sips of Gin a few weeks ago. It’s one of my favorite military history books now.

The Bush War (and really a lot of the post colonial conflict in Africa) is fascinating to learn about. One of the reasons this project is so cool.

@sirhrmechanic It wouldn’t happen to be Tim Bax would it? I’ve been reading everything I can get my hands on about the Bush War and finished Three Sips of Gin a few weeks ago. It’s one of my favorite military history books now.

The Bush War (and really a lot of the post colonial conflict in Africa) is fascinating to learn about. One of the reasons this project is so cool.
    Nope... I've been trying to talk my buddy into doing is memoir even if only to give to archives with a "Do not Publish." He was a Scout and then in Legion. Very private. Very cool guy. At every level.

Sirhr

Reactions: vortexyz
    I honestly think that old sight is the coolest individual piece of the build.

Overall is neat as hell also, but that sight is the best.
    Yes, the Nydar sight is pretty cool and has gained a huge reputation through the gaming world for the Call of Duty types.

The Nydar Shotgun Sight gained fame in 1945 for its use on… well, shotguns. This was a remarkably simple contraption, converting Howard’s closed design into a more modern open reflex configuration. Attached to a strip of metal a few inches long, the sight consisted of a front glass roughly an inch and a half in diameter. Back at the rear of the mounting apparatus, a small prism and reticle sat open to the sun. With sufficient ambient light, the reticle would be reflected up onto the forward glass. Unfortunately, this only worked with ambient light that was bright enough - good news in a desert, not so useful in the jungle.
    I have a battleworn Galil coming tomorrow and I am going to put one of the earliest LED reflector sights, aka red dot, on it. The sight is an Elbit red dot sight and was used by the Israeli army. Very hard to find, mine came out of Turkey. I'll have to make the mount for it.

Elbit sight on Israeli Galil, circa1998

KjvYDt7.jpeg

1702853236539.png

Working on making the elongated forearm for the browning A5.
    DSCF0524.JPG

DSCF0525.JPG

I remember a knock off of romancing the stone in the 80's.
    Can't remember the name of it, but the guy carried a full auto shotgun.
    I believe it was an auto 5, but I wouldn't swear to it.

I did not see any of these floating around but not doubting they were used. Could have been an ammo issue.
    Post war the country was flooded with FAL’s and of course AK’s.

Hey, I was reading this thread and thought this was super sweet. I may come into possession of a 1961 A5 that I would like to do the same thing to. Where did you find the long 8 shot tube? I know an extension won't work do to how things the wood would be. Also, were either of your guns engraved?

Hey, I was reading this thread and thought this was super sweet. I may come into possession of a 1961 A5 that I would like to do the same thing to. Where did you find the long 8 shot tube? I know an extension won't work do to how things the wood would be. Also, were either of your guns engraved?
    I built the tube myself by modifying a Briley extension tube. The Rem 11 was engraved and I just ground it off when re-finishing. The early browning A5's had no engraving so I used one of them.

Reactions: JD3Boy
    I built the tube myself by modifying a Briley extension tube. The Rem 11 was engraved and I just ground it off when re-finishing. The early browning A5's had no engraving so I used one of them.
    Where did you source the extended mag spring? Been wanting to do a tube extension on my Frianchi 48, and that spring is the only part I can't seem to source.

Where did you source the extended mag spring? Been wanting to do a tube extension on my Frianchi 48, and that spring is the only part I can't seem to source.
    Extended springs came with the extended mag tubes I used. You can probably buy an extended spring from Briley or Brownell's.
    www.briley.com/p-61293-tubular-magazine-springs.aspx
    Tubular Magazine Springs

View Larger Image
    E-mail this product to a friend
    Options: 40 Inches 45 Inches 60 Inches
    Price: $14.99
    SKU:TSPA-29
    Quantity:

40+ Years in Business
    Satisfaction Guaranteed
    Largest Manufacturer of Chokes
    The tubular magazine springs are available in three lengths: 40, 45 and 60 inches.

The 40 inch spring is suitable for all Briley extensions up to plus 6. The spring may require trimming on some of the shorter extensions.

The 45 inch spring is recommended for use in the regular plus 8 carbon extension.

The 60 inch spring is recommended for use in the longer dedicated 12 shot or more extensions.

These springs can be trimmed to reduce the amount of force required to insert cartridges into the magazine however it is recommended that they initially be sed in their full length as they will take a set thereby reducing their overall length. Trim in small amounts. A spring that is too short will not eject the last few cartridges efficiently out of the magazine resulting in failure.