• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Richard Near comments on TRG bipod

JimGnitecki

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2011
Austin, TX
I heard soemthing from Ruchard Near at Near Manufacturing that I thought other TRG owners might be interested in.

I had reason to call Richard about something, and he started talking about the TRG factory bipod.

He says he has not ever offered a Picatinny rail accessory to mount a Harris or Atlas bipod to the TRG 22 or 42, simply because he thinks the TRG factory bipod is a very good design, and that it's placement is important to minimizing the effect of barrel torque and other issues during firing. he says it is costly, but from his perspective it is worth the cost because of the design advantages it offers.

I'm not qualified to assess his comment, nor should I (if anyone wants to know what Richard Near thinks they should ask HIM, not me). But I figured I'd pass it on so that anyone struggling with the question of whether to pay the $4XX for the TRG factory bipod or to go with an aftermarket solution, can call him if they want to and ask him to explain.

I myself am not interesting in that factory bipod - I just don't like the look and width, and am very happy with my Atlas bipod, but I respect his opinion because his products have such a good reputation and he could obviously sell many bipod mounts if he offered them.

Jim G

Re: Richard Near comments on TRG bipod

The design theory behind it is good, however I've seen at least 3 of the old style ones break. The new ones were modified and should be better.

That being said, Elite Iron has a TRG style bipod coming out that should be even better, and it will have multiple mounting solutions.
Justin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Massoud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Elite Iron has a TRG style bipod coming out that should be even better, and it will have multiple mounting solutions.</div></div>

This sounds nice. Especially if the pricing is around Sako versus KRG.
smile.gif

I am a very big fan of the factory TRG bipod and agree that it it is one of the best designed bipod (when combined with the mounting system in the TRG chassis) for my shooting style. I have been able to shoot most all bipods on most all chassis/stocks and none of them compare to the TRG and its bipod. The TRG system keeps the center of gravity as low as possiable with out being overly large. It tracks movers and adjusts to uneven gorund as good or better than any other and at the same time can lock in place with minimal loading. I have been able to shoot it on most natural surfaces (grass, dirt, gravel, snow, ice) and it holds position well. Long story short I have never regreted buying it and in my mind it is what others are judged by.

Between Harris, Atlas, Versapod and Sako, Sako is my favorite for shooting off of. I love the way it cants freely, then locks up solid when you lean on it a little. I also love its axis of rotation for cant. However, it sucks to deploy, and will scratch up your barrel if you just leave it on the rifle and forget about it whereas the others won't.

I think $4xx is awful steep, but it's a nice unit.

Just to try it, I bought the Accu-shot TRG rail that uses the OEM mount slot to test the Atlas on the TRG. Took it out once. Ripped it off and had the TRG bipod back on that same evening.

FWIW, I really like the Atlas but if someone made an adapter (or I made the time to design & fab one) that allowed the TRG bipod to be used on all other rifles, I wouldnt hesitate to dump off my Atlas units and buy 2 more TRG bipods.

Like others mentioned above, the Sako bipod is the gold standard to which I compare all other bipods.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Massoud</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The design theory behind it is good, however I've seen at least 3 of the old style ones break. The new ones were modified and should be better.

That being said, Elite Iron has a TRG style bipod coming out that should be even better, and it will have multiple mounting solutions.
Justin </div></div>

Elite Iron has been trying to get it out for over a year now.... something is always coming up. I have asked them numerous times to notify me when they are ready and I could fill a large order. Nothing still, I even met with them at SHOT and there was a revised edition but they keep meeting issues with production schedule do to their suppressor line taking up all the machines. Which is understandable, but I wouldn't hold out for one at this time.....

Agreed, we've been waiting for a few ourselves, but they seemed to have made progress at SHOT. Full production is a different story than 5-6 for the show so I guess we'll see.
Justin

I have a TRG-42, and a TRG-22, and one Sako bi-pod. Made it seem cheaper at the time,........

I had a similiar conversation with richard about the trg bipod a couple years ago. The only thing I really didn't like was the floppy nature of it banging back and forth so I drilled two holes part way into the bottom piece and installed two springs of the desired tension. It kept it still but still allows for ease of cant. No complaints now.