• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Richmond VA?

TurdFerguson

thinking sucks
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2014
Burgerworld
Looking at a forester position in Richmond VA. Don’t have to live in Richmond, but main office is there. Is it a semi decent area? Small towns on the outskirts ok? Any recommendations of places to live within 45 minutes?

West of Richmond can be okay. If you want land to hunt better start shopping now. DO NOT live too far North of Richmond. DC creep is running hard.
East of Richmond isn't worth it for hunting/land.

South of Richmond there are land deals, but could lack the comforts one desires.

If you don't like hunting with a rifle VA is okay. If you like hunting with dogs you will fit in just fine.

Reactions: wh20crazy
Plenty of places to live there. Just stay away from the actual city. It's not dangerous, it's just a shit hole now. You can't hardly buy a house or land anywhere around now, unless you want to drop $30K over asking price and waive all normal contractual checks on the house/land.

Surrounding counties would be Henrico and Chesterfield, being the most populated, then Hanover, Goochland, Powhatan, Amelia being the more rural counties. Main interstates would be 95 cutting through Richmond, north and south, and 64 cutting through, heading east and west. Most everything is close to one or the other, or both. If I can answer any specific questions, send me a private message and I'll help all I can.

South side ...no...traffic is bad
West End very nice, but pricey area, traffic is worse.
North side (Hanover County) nice, rural, great schools, not cheap, but less than the West End.
East side, older area, but have newer developments
New Kent County is east of town on I64, strong growth area, rural, nice.

Go west young man, go west.

Can't tell you anything about Richmond, but last night I came across a youtube video about the Church Hill Tunnel. A major collapse in 1925 buried a steam engine, 10 flat cars, and two workers. Which are all still buried in there today. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_Hill_Tunnel

I live 25 miles south. Information you've been given is accurate. Do not consider living in the city. If you have children, they would do better being taught by a pack of wolves than the Richmond school system. Come to think of it, at least they would learn survival skills...

Hanover would be my first choice for someone moving to the area, then west--Powhatan, Goochland, Amelia counties, and then south and east. Be careful just east of the city, real problems close to the city.

Overall, central Virginia is nice with plenty to do. You are an hour and a half drive to the beach or mountains. Just keep in mind that the democrats took over both houses and the governor's mansion in the last two years and we are rapidly becoming the People's Republic of Virginia comrade.

Really like Powhatan. There is a hardwood lumber yard there that I do a good bit of business with - they are expensive but wow their selection and wood quality is excellent. Great folks and the town/county itself is really nice. Not sure how the drive into Richmond for work would be during post COVID traffic however.

And welcome to the Commonwealth. Get educated on the 2A Sanctuary status of the various counties and local political situation. We had a helluva scare last year that we took to the streets to protest. It worked, but the future is scary on that front. There is a great thread here in the Pit, many pages long, that can educate you up and keep you up to speed with current events.

Best of luck w/ move and new job.

Reactions: Maggot
I live 25 miles south. Information you've been given is accurate. Do not consider living in the city. If you have children, they would do better being taught by a pack of wolves than the Richmond school system. Come to think of it, at least they would learn survival skills...

Hanover would be my first choice for someone moving to the area, then west--Powhatan, Goochland, Amelia counties, and then south and east. Be careful just east of the city, real problems close to the city.

Overall, central Virginia is nice with plenty to do. You are an hour and a half drive to the beach or mountains. Just keep in mind that the democrats took over both houses and the governor's mansion in the last two years and we are rapidly becoming the People's Republic of Virginia comrade.
I agree, did you see that Terry 'Douchebag' McAwful is getting re nominated for governor? Its going to be a fucking dogfight this time.

Stay out of the city. As suggested above, go west of Richmond. Even as far as Fluvanna Co. would be a doable commute on I-64 which has avoided most of the worst congestion you see on 95 or 81.

There is a nice range ust west of town if youre interested Ill ask my buddy the name, but its fairly expensive. We have a small but serviceable one in Charlottesville. All but 2-3 counties and most smaller municipalities are 2A Sanctuary counties/cities.

West of Richmond can be okay. If you want land to hunt better start shopping now. DO NOT live too far North of Richmond. DC creep is running hard.
East of Richmond isn't worth it for hunting/land.

South of Richmond there are land deals, but could lack the comforts one desires.

If you don't like hunting with a rifle VA is okay. If you like hunting with dogs you will fit in just fine.
It varies county by county. Some allow rifle, some are shotgun only but allow slug, some are buckshot only. Most allow black powder. Dogs are optional, my brothers hunt club doesnt use them.

You couldn't pay me enough to live in the city of richmond, colonial heights or petersburg. Chesterfield hasn't seen an acre they dont want to develop. Henrico is pretty much the same. Hanover is still pretty rural tge further you get from the city. Powhatan is still mostly but becoming infected from Chesterfield. Amelia, Cumberland, Fluvana and Louisa mostly rural.
Goochland land prices in the eastern half are on crack. It's either estates or the infection from Henrico has set in. Western half still mostly rural and you can still find land at a halfway reasonable price.

Deer ticks are a real threat. You cannot see the mites on you. Learn that you will need to work in permethrin treated clothing and save yourself the trouble of Lyme disease! Spray at least 40% DEET on untreated areas. Less is BBQ sauce. The I-81 corridor is hot with it due to lack of deer hunting being allowed by landowners. Suburban Richmond is a hot spot as well.