• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Riddle me this... Eastern Tennessee

Not a Sniper

Leonard Smalls
Minuteman
  • Sep 10, 2020
    Hills and holler - ETN
    www.youtube.com
    I'll try and keep this short as possible.

Was lookin' for land and home WNC, doesn't seem like a plan in the short term. Purple, over-priced shit.

TN seems like my huckleberry and I can get land and... I have to build from scratch. So, that is what I am considering. Haven't stomped thru here for decades really. Looking for inside curve on good, bad, or ugly. I'm guessing someone lives here. Let's call it a triangle from Knoxville, to Chattanooga, to Crossville. And I want to be an hour out from Knoxville, or Chattanooga or more (called them out for easy triangle). Fuck the cities, but I may work in them for several years-the commute isn't shit to me.

I'm looking for at least 100 acres, 200-300 better. Fresh running something, stream, creek, river. Likely gonna dig a pond 5-10 acres, and stock fish by the house. The rest is living off the land. Deer, turkey, pig, bear a plus. Just saying.

Can anyone tell me about hunting, fishing, politicians, or game wardens in this region? Anything to help me narrow down county by county?

I got the gist of landowner and hunting/fishing. I recall most people from time passing through on the motorchoppa... just wondering how these places are today and what I should know about weird laws and local officials. Before I show up stomping the property.

Many thanks,

a dude wanting any info and thoughts.

I would be looking Knoxville to Johnson city places like white pines, Greeneville and Erwin

I don’t have answers to your questions which are all good. but am interested in seeing the answers. We live 21 miles from the TN state line north of Asheville and plan on moving in the near future

Reactions: Not a Sniper
    Chattanooga area is wonderful. Not too expensive yet and beautiful little mountains. Plus your not too far from Al, blue ridge in Ga etc. we chose put west because it was also very affordable, the closer you get to Nashville, Franklin etc... the prices skyrocket.

Eastern TN is amazing. Im very happily in Chattanooga, but have begun thinking of looking for a similar piece of land in the triangle formed by Spencer, Sparta, and Crossville. Alternatively somewhere heading east into the Ocoee area would likely hit those reqs.

Hamilton County has great game wardens, but finding space that big would be next to impossible. Guns a'plenty, couple of great ranges, easy to get to anywhere.

Looked around Knoxville several years back because I had family around there.
    went looking around central Kentucky and bought there.
    easier to buy there, cheaper to buy and live there.
    just got back from there, went to interview builders and hired one.
    he’ll be starting my home first of 22.
    I retire next year so everything is falling in place.
    Check out rural Kentucky you might like it.

OR, you could stay in the state where you have been living and fix that mess. Chances are you voted for all the crap that occurred in your current state. Why move to Tennessee and ruin it for people who like their freedom?
    You got the wrong guy. After retiring from the Army I had the babies in the family and landed back here so they could be around family. It was a mistake, but they are flying the nest and I damn sure do not belong here.

Looked around Knoxville several years back because I had family around there.
    went looking around central Kentucky and bought there.
    easier to buy there, cheaper to buy and live there.
    just got back from there, went to interview builders and hired one.
    he’ll be starting my home first of 22.
    I retire next year so everything is falling in place.
    Check out rural Kentucky you might like it.
    I work in Lexington, but wouldn't live there. Don't know how far your from it

Eastern TN is amazing. Im very happily in Chattanooga, but have begun thinking of looking for a similar piece of land in the triangle formed by Spencer, Sparta, and Crossville. Alternatively somewhere heading east into the Ocoee area would likely hit those reqs.

Hamilton County has great game wardens, but finding space that big would be next to impossible. Guns a'plenty, couple of great ranges, easy to get to anywhere.
    I did see a couple properties in/near your triangle just looking thru Zillow.

And yes, nothing coming up down by Soddy Daisy - but I will say, there are some beautiful houses down there these days. I do not recall it being quite like that when I last cruised through.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to chime in.

OR, you could stay in the state where you have been living and fix that mess. Chances are you voted for all the crap that occurred in your current state. Why move to Tennessee and ruin it for people who like their freedom?
    How do you figure........"chances are you voted for all the crap"? How could you possibly know any of that? How could you possibly know he would ruin anything? Seems like an asinine assertion, unless you know something we don't.

You probably have already done this but I would start by googling land for sale in the county’s you are looking at. It would give you an idea on availability and price of what your looking at. My .02. Building materials right now are nuts here!

You probably have already done this but I would start by googling land for sale in the county’s you are looking at. It would give you an idea on availability and price of what your looking at. My .02. Building materials right now are nuts here!
    Yeah-based upon what I saw in WNC and taxes and shit, TN is looking much better. I do see a bunch of places that would likely suit me-but now I need to research those local markets and see what makes sense. I do like the look of the NE along the mountains also.

In any event-I need to take some time off to get down there and eyeball everything for a week or two.

I really didn't want to build-especially now, but it seems my only real choice to get the land I want. If I can secure that land this year, I can worry about building in the Spring.

We did the same search you did and ended up with a few acres about 30 miles northeast of Nooga. Until you get a good 30 minutes from a decent sized town, land is very expensive everywhere be it TN, GA, AL, or FL.

Crossville is becoming the new Asheville as people move there for the mountain experience without as much blue. This is running prices up. I found a nice 150 ac farm 20 minutes from Crossville and it was $10k per acre. Waaay too much for me. Other pricing in the area was the same.
    I found land around Athens and Sweetwater, about half way between Ktown and Nooga is the most reasonable priced in east TN but there is a reason for the cost: practically zero growth, poor infrastructure, and only a Piggly Wiggly for a fine grocery shopping experience. For me, that is a bad thing, but if you are looking for a truly rural experience it may be just what you are looking for.

We did the same search you did and ended up with a few acres about 30 miles northeast of Nooga. Until you get a good 30 minutes from a decent sized town, land is very expensive everywhere be it TN, GA, AL, or FL.

Crossville is becoming the new Asheville as people move there for the mountain experience without as much blue. This is running prices up. I found a nice 150 ac farm 20 minutes from Crossville and it was $10k per acre. Waaay too much for me. Other pricing in the area was the same.
    I found land around Athens and Sweetwater, about half way between Ktown and Nooga is the most reasonable priced in east TN but there is a reason for the cost: practically zero growth, poor infrastructure, and only a Piggly Wiggly for a fine grocery shopping experience. For me, that is a bad thing, but if you are looking for a truly rural experience it may be just what you are looking for.
    Yeah-I am better off in the woods. I really don't care how far I need to go for shopping; I prefer the wilderness.

On the other hand-I am not rich; I will likely need some kinda city to work in or out of. I've been long commuting since I left Uncle Sugar so I am okay with that too and definitely want to be as far away from anything resembling a city as possible.

But TN does seem to have some possibilities for me-I need to do some more digging on that in the short term here.

Yeah-I am better off in the woods. I really don't care how far I need to go for shopping; I prefer the wilderness.

On the other hand-I am not rich; I will likely need some kinda city to work in or out of. I've been long commuting since I left Uncle Sugar so I am okay with that too and definitely want to be as far away from anything resembling a city as possible.

But TN does seem to have some possibilities for me-I need to do some more digging on that in the short term here.
    UPDATE:

Went stomping thru ETN for better part of two weeks.

What I found: Everything is expensive as shit! LOL.

Today: Accepted Seller counter offer on ~200 acres.

Shitting a brick, but got serious realtors, lender, lawyers lined up.

Tomorrow is earnest money and a 3 week window for "due diligence."

Reckon I cannot do the construction till Spring (did I mention shit is expensive?!) BUT, shit starts counting down from tomorrow with earnest money.

I only throw this out there, as, for better part of two weeks, local folks have been awesome. Just made me feel most welcome when they knew what I was trying to do....

Two of my three boys were born here and I have loved this place since landing here after the Gulf War in Fort Campbell. Also did Undergrad in State. I feel like I am coming home in many ways. I feel blessed really.

The land is beautiful and I am stoked. Beyond words.

I know folks where I stayed outside of Knoxville are following along - they are awesome.

Coming home ASAP. Just sayin'.

It can be done if you are seriously looking.

TN "used" to be reasonable in price. Get close to Nashville and it's insane compared to 10 years ago.

I would skip Zillow and try Lands of America. More ranch driven aka big acreage.
    Example... 296 acres about 40 miles west of Kingsport.

or...

Last edited:
    I did see a couple properties in/near your triangle just looking thru Zillow.

And yes, nothing coming up down by Soddy Daisy - but I will say, there are some beautiful houses down there these days. I do not recall it being quite like that when I last cruised through.

I appreciate everyone taking the time to chime in.
    Also try Trulia.

Congrats on finding your plot! Wanting something in the one square range… with less than triple digit temps. 🤣 Always liked the Telico area. Not enough to move there but it is Gods country.

What county? And welcome to the best part of TN.
    For now, I'll leave it at Morgan County till I close proper. Not sure I even have an address. LOL. It is the woods.

But I am stoked beyond belief to be coming here.

It is all I have and all I will earn in years ahead.

I can see the place as it will be. I stood upon it and saw.... It will be so in the coming years without doubt.

I wish I could have done this sooner.

But, the good Lord has a sense of humor and has his own plan. I defer to the big man here.

My boys will love this place as I do-now; I know. I need to only shape it so they can see it as I do today.

I set foot on it and, immediately "see" what it will become.

This is the rest of my life, and I am thrilled with what I have found. LOL. Guessing most folks think me nuts-but I find peace in nature. So, there's that.

Super nice area.
    You are not alone in finding peace in nature.
    Sometimes, it felt that way-especially where I am now.

I appreciate you saying that.

Much like the folks I met recently-there are good people around if you look for them.

I am SO stoked to do this-waited most of a lifetime.

Crazy now-the ball is rolling. Seems... almost unreal. :)

But, it is rollin'!

I know some people from the Wartburg area. You couldn't give them fort Knox to leave.
    We do some motorcycle riding in the area and it's definitely a beautiful place.
    Sometimes, it felt that way-especially where I am now.

I appreciate you saying that.

Much like the folks I met recently-there are good people around if you look for them.

I am SO stoked to do this-waited most of a lifetime.

Crazy now-the ball is rolling. Seems... almost unreal. :)

But, it is rollin'!
    Good luck. Hope everything works out for you.

Don't know if it's a possibility but I might consider living in an RV or trailer until construction industry settles down.

In addition to the $$ savings, it gives you plenty of time to learn the land.

Just thinking out loud. Your situation is where I'd like to be some day. Considered a property (with home) once and looking back, so glad I didn't because there were so many things I would have done differently.

Don't know if it's a possibility but I might consider living in an RV or trailer until construction industry settles down.

Just thinking out loud. Your situation is where I'd like to be some day. Considered a property (with home) once and looking back, so glad I didn't because there were so many things I would have done differently.
    It crossed my mind-but I have one more commitment to take care of where I am currently. Having talked through the construction stuff, that is gonna be a serious planned event; gonna do it right or it won't happen. But if I got the chance to bail sooner, I would live in a GP Tiny on that land and be happy, LOL. It broke my heart to leave there.

Reactions: eflyguy
    I'll try and keep this short as possible.

Was lookin' for land and home WNC, doesn't seem like a plan in the short term. Purple, over-priced shit.

TN seems like my huckleberry and I can get land and... I have to build from scratch. So, that is what I am considering. Haven't stomped thru here for decades really. Looking for inside curve on good, bad, or ugly. I'm guessing someone lives here. Let's call it a triangle from Knoxville, to Chattanooga, to Crossville. And I want to be an hour out from Knoxville, or Chattanooga or more (called them out for easy triangle). Fuck the cities, but I may work in them for several years-the commute isn't shit to me.

I'm looking for at least 100 acres, 200-300 better. Fresh running something, stream, creek, river. Likely gonna dig a pond 5-10 acres, and stock fish by the house. The rest is living off the land. Deer, turkey, pig, bear a plus. Just saying.

Can anyone tell me about hunting, fishing, politicians, or game wardens in this region? Anything to help me narrow down county by county?

I got the gist of landowner and hunting/fishing. I recall most people from time passing through on the motorchoppa... just wondering how these places are today and what I should know about weird laws and local officials. Before I show up stomping the property.

Many thanks,

a dude wanting any info and thoughts.
    Sequatchie County can put you 45 minutes from Chattanooga. There is still some land in northern Hamilton county, but it'll be a little pricier than Sequatchie. Rhea county (Dayton) still has some land, and is cheaper than Hamilton, about an hour from Chattanooga. If Knoxville is more your style, check out the area around Sweetwater. Happy hunting.

Congrats! We went to look at a little farm outside of Johnson City. It was super up there! We really liked it. I’m two years from retiring so we are looking for a retirement place. The people were super nice in town, and I would live there in a skinny minute. Our problem, is we also have investment property at Ocean Isle Beach, and it is simply too far from E Tn, to jump in the car and run down if we need to, and we do need to pretty regularly(like tomorrow). If we have to, we can drive down and handle some business and drive home, but it’s a long day. I’m envious! It’s so pretty up there. Some serious PRS shooters in the area too. Good people.

I know a guy that rented a spot in a local campground for three years. He had a good sized tent. Like a guide tent. Had a hot plate, TV, couch and a bed. Water was available for every site and he was close to the shower/bath house. $60 per month!! Saved his money and bought some land and a mobile home.

I know a guy that rented a spot in a local campground for three years. He had a good sized tent. Like a guide tent. Had a hot plate, TV, couch and a bed. Water was available for every site and he was close to the shower/bath house. $60 per month!! Saved his money and bought some land and a mobile home.
    Oh, it's doable.

But, as I am a late learner, I'm having it built big and proper to start. And, it seems Elon Musk and Starlink will allow me to keep my job with a 9 month lead for high speed connectivity.

Anyhoo-I'm going all in on initial build and will push shit up as I want from there.

The initial blading (it is all forest-scarecly get a UTV thru most of it; the home and "driveway in" are all needed for me to occupy. The pond= pros. Gonna have biologists and smart folks on food plots and such advising me much as I can get. I am out of touch with this part of TN.

From there-I'll build what is needed. I want the most from the land as I can manage. Before it becomes a chore.

My boys will take it from where I can't any longer.

It is a weird window in time and I plan to maximize from smarter folks than I early to get there sooner.

I will be back down there this year (assuming I land it for deer season to see what the land tells me) ASAP. I need time to raise some more cash to cover the build for Spring.

2022 may be the year I finally get to where I belong.

Have you called timber companies to get quotes for logging it out? Also, if you have people come in and clear/log it out. Keep some choice hardwood and older pine logs for yourself.

Get a tractor.

Oh, it's doable.

But, as I am a late learner, I'm having it built big and proper to start. And, it seems Elon Musk and Starlink will allow me to keep my job with a 9 month lead for high speed connectivity.

Anyhoo-I'm going all in on initial build and will push shit up as I want from there.

The initial blading (it is all forest-scarecly get a UTV thru most of it; the home and "driveway in" are all needed for me to occupy. The pond= pros. Gonna have biologists and smart folks on food plots and such advising me much as I can get. I am out of touch with this part of TN.

From there-I'll build what is needed. I want the most from the land as I can manage. Before it becomes a chore.

My boys will take it from where I can't any longer.

It is a weird window in time and I plan to maximize from smarter folks than I early to get there sooner.

I will be back down there this year (assuming I land it for deer season to see what the land tells me) ASAP. I need time to raise some more cash to cover the build for Spring.

2022 may be the year I finally get to where I belong.
    Unless you really have never managed property for wildlife before, I'd save your money that you got post marked for biologist. Anything you want to know you can find online or local through the wildlife department. Since you are coming from NC, depending on where you are located now the soil content may not be very different than where you were before. Plant similar crops native to the land (not black belt plants). Locate food producing hardwoods (hickory, walnut, acorns) and then hunt crossings and timber connectors. If this is starting to make sense to you , save your money on people and invest it in equipment. If this is not sounding familiar to you, hire the biologist bc you are going to need it.

The land is young timber - maybe 12 yrs. It was harvested by the folks before me.

That said - I haven't been here, in this region, in decades. I will rely on folks before me to advise on best practice.

I have stomped the ground and "see" it. It will be what I see. I am paying up front to get it proper before I need to tend to to it.

Nothing will make me leave here. I have everything I need.

This is where I will live and die. Without question.

It is a beautiful slice of the earth, that my boys will understand. I'll make it so.

I have no doubt on this.

But I do appreciate all the feedback - folks know better than I here. Right now. But I definitely see where this particular land will be in several years.

Last edited:
    Reactions: quietmike
    Unless you really have never managed property for wildlife before, I'd save your money that you got post marked for biologist. Anything you want to know you can find online or local through the wildlife department. Since you are coming from NC, depending on where you are located now the soil content may not be very different than where you were before. Plant similar crops native to the land (not black belt plants). Locate food producing hardwoods (hickory, walnut, acorns) and then hunt crossings and timber connectors. If this is starting to make sense to you , save your money on people and invest it in equipment. If this is not sounding familiar to you, hire the biologist bc you are going to need it.
    The biologist is free.

My realtor pointed me at USDA and county biologist.

The biologist is free.

My realtor pointed me at USDA and county biologist.
    That's your best bet then as far as crops go. He'll prolly either tell you to cut wagon wheels or 50x50 plots depending on the style of hunting you prefer. Box blinds are better for wagon wheels and plots, but crossings will prolly require individual stands. Since you say you have timber, then you own the bedding area and you will just have to find egress and ingress trails into/out of it. Other than that, you've obviously got the money to do it right but still understand it will take time to develop accurate patterned crossings.

That's your best bet then as far as crops go. He'll prolly either tell you to cut wagon wheels or 50x50 plots depending on the style of hunting you prefer. Box blinds are better for wagon wheels and plots, but crossings will prolly require individual stands. Since you say you have timber, then you own the bedding area and you will just have to find egress and ingress trails into/out of it. Other than that, you've obviously got the money to do it right but still understand it will take time to develop accurate patterned crossings.
    From personal experience, I have managed land close to your area for 15+ years and planting crops becomes more expensive than buying quality supplements/attractants and minerals from Purina, Evolved, etc. Ultimately depends on your style of hunting, but mountain deer (those around the Appalachian) are not as lazy as plains deer and will require different level of highly concentrated nutrients than the latter mentioned.