• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ridges on shoulder?

Laser1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2009
The Great State of Texas
Just got finished resizing and decapping my once shot brass and noticed a series of ridges around the shoulder of my Win silver colored brass and on the regular brass. Whats up with this? Was using RCBS water soluable lube and a Co-ax with Forster dies on a 270Win. Its my first atempt at this procedure. Just got in some Imperial wax so I will start using it instead. Also just ordered up a case guage. How do I get these ridges out by resizing or is it ok to load these up? Thx.

Re: Ridges on shoulder?

It is caused from to much case lube. The lube seals the space between the case and the die, preventing air and excess lube from escaping, causing a hydraulic lock. This pressure must go somewhere, consequently denting the cases on the shoulder. Don't use so much lube. I have shot them before with no ill effects. They just don't look good.

Instead of ridges, how about dents? And I agree with the statement above about the lube. Try lubing only the case body. The part from the shoulder to the extractor groove. Then every 2 or 3 give a very light swipe on the case necks. Don't purposely put an on the shoulders. It will migrate there on it's own.

Using just a tad of Imperial should correct this for you going forward. That stuff is great and you don't need much at all. One can will last you years.
Shoot the ones you already dented. Won't make a difference at all. The case will expand back to the chamber shape and the dents will be gone. You can't get them out with resizing, etc. Consider it a learning experience.

Sure could be dents instead of ridges. I had put lube on the shoulders, something I won't do again....just on the body. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the dents or just resize them again after I get a chance to shoot them....with less lube. Thanks for all the help. Do you still want pics?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Laser1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sure could be dents instead of ridges. I had put lube on the shoulders, something I won't do again....just on the body. Is there anything I can do to get rid of the dents or just resize them again after I get a chance to shoot them....with less lube. Thanks for all the help. Do you still want pics? </div></div>

Shoot them once and the dents will be gone.

That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. I've never done that. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jerkface11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think everyone has done it at least once. </div></div>