• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Ridiculous Use of a SAS 308

ohiogunnut

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 5, 2008
Ohio, USA
Totally ridiculous and definitely barrel heavy... But very fun. The sound of the bullet hitting the paper and cardboard backstop is much louder than the round firing.
grin.gif

sig22.jpg

sig222.jpg

Re: Ridiculous Use of a SAS 308

i jock up my .30 can all the time to a .22 pistol.....and can see/use the factory iron sites too!

That's a problem for my setup. I'm just sighting along the top of the suppressor (like a shotgun) as my irons are obscured. I can still keep all the rounds within a few inches at 15 yards doing this, but it is pretty limiting. I guess I'm going to need to spring for a rimfire can...

I also read up on the 50/50 vinegar/peroxide mix soak. I'm a chemist by trade, so it does look quite do-able for de-leading. Just have to make sure to dispose of my own "hazmat" waste appropriately.

Nice thread protector. lol

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ohiogunnut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also read up on the 50/50 vinegar/peroxide mix soak. I'm a chemist by trade, so it does look quite do-able for de-leading. Just have to make sure to dispose of my own "hazmat" waste appropriately. </div></div>

Yep, thats the method I will be using one mine arrives. I'm planning on using my 30cal can on my AR equipped with a spikes tactical 22 conversion.
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No.

Cleaning is as simple as a rapid fire string with it attached to it's centerfire host. </div></div>

Lonewolf, Are you concerned at all about the centerfire round catching a piece of lead shard potentially left by firing 22 and that causing your CF round to hit a baffle? Thats my only concern.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ohiogunnut</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I also read up on the 50/50 vinegar/peroxide mix soak. I'm a chemist by trade, so it does look quite do-able for de-leading. Just have to make sure to dispose of my own "hazmat" waste appropriately. </div></div>

Are there any potential side effects of the "solution" on the can? (tube,baffles)

None that I can determine aside from it being toxic (lead acetate). Just be sure that the can is 100% stainless, as this will eat aluminum. My only worry is the finish, but after searching around, it seems not to affect it. Just do a Google on "vinegar peroxide suppressor" if you want more info.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lonewolf, Are you concerned at all about the centerfire round catching a piece of lead shard potentially left by firing 22 and that causing your CF round to hit a baffle? Thats my only concern. </div></div>

Nope. We are talking about a .22LR slug through a .308 can. I can't even imagine how many rounds of lead 22 it would take to close up the diameter appreciably. Then the first round of 308 is probably going to heat things up enough to vaporize and lead deposits in there.

On the very slim chance that a baffle strike did occur, ONE strike is unlikely to destroy the silencer. If it did, then I am sure TIM would fix it if he had OK'ed the use of .22LR through it prior to an incident.

I spoke to him about cleaning when I purchased my 5.56mm suppressor. He said to just shoot it. If I break it, he'll fix it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stealth-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or, if you don't feel like spending $200 on another tax stamp, you could purchase a rail mounted laser like the lasermax unimax:

Regards,
Nate </div></div>

Happened to have one on another gun and agree this would actually be a useful place for it (I'm not a big laser fan). Also polished the chamber with scotchbrite after work today which smoothed out the few FTF's I was getting. Silly toy, but one of my new favorites!

sig222.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OHiogunnut-

Is that adapter part of a neilsen device? </div></div>

Wow, had to look that one up. No, it's not a recoil booster/Neilsen device. Tim at SAS made me a QD adapter/flash hider for my 30 cal suppressor that had 1/2 x 28 threading that I could also use on my 5.56 AR's. Had it on my STG for a while, but frankly the AUG platform sucks with a suppressor as your ear is still next to the ejection port. I think it's going to stay here.
smile.gif

I use my Omega 30 on my Marvel .22 conversion kit more than anything else. I tried it on a Ruger 10/22 and it was louder than I expected. On the pistol it is crazy quiet because of the shorter barrel.

~bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ohiogunnut</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OHiogunnut-

Is that adapter part of a neilsen device? </div></div>

Wow, had to look that one up. No, it's not a recoil booster/Neilsen device. Tim at SAS made me a QD adapter/flash hider for my 30 cal suppressor that had 1/2 x 28 threading that I could also use on my 5.56 AR's. Had it on my STG for a while, but frankly the AUG platform sucks with a suppressor as your ear is still next to the ejection port. I think it's going to stay here.
smile.gif
</div></div>

Gotcha, I thought it might be part of the ND because of the crooked cut in there that might act as a cam groove. Thanks for the info.

This thread makes me want my suppressor to get approved ASAP..
frown.gif

Mine went Pending July 10 so Im hoping that it will be approved by the end of the month based on the other results Ive been seeing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread makes me want my suppressor to get approved ASAP..
frown.gif

Mine went Pending July 10 so Im hoping that it will be approved by the end of the month based on the other results Ive been seeing. </div></div>

My dad has had 2 Form 1's approved this year, 16 weeks and 17 weeks total. When was your payment cashed?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flounderv2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread makes me want my suppressor to get approved ASAP..
frown.gif

Mine went Pending July 10 so Im hoping that it will be approved by the end of the month based on the other results Ive been seeing. </div></div>

My dad has had 2 Form 1's approved this year, 16 weeks and 17 weeks total. When was your payment cashed? </div></div>

It doesnt really matter when your payment was cashed. The date that you actually get entered into the system is the pending date and the start of the process.

payment was cashed June 3.. Also it appears that all examiners are different as far as how long it takes them to approve.

Rifle suppressors are fine on little pistols, but there is nothing like shooting my P22 with the Outback II on it. It's so light it doesn't really affect the handling of the weapon (other than making holster selection a pain).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Stealth-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or, if you don't feel like spending $200 on another tax stamp, you could purchase a rail mounted laser like the lasermax unimax:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/lasermax-uni-max-lasersight-47935.html

Just another option.

Regards,
Nate </div></div>Only problem with lasers is daytime. You can sight "through" the can with stock height sights. Just shoot with both eyes open,which most say you should be doing anyway, and shoot just like you do with with a red dot with both eyes open.It is very simple to do once you get use to it.

nothing like Tim's 22 can, it weighs in a 4.6oz and sounds awesome, does not obscure the iron sights and very affordable. I am running a couple of them on my P22, Glock Adv. upper conv, and Ruger 10/22's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Malaga2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you rate the lasermax? </div></div>

For the price, it's mixed. Nice and bright, but the construction is pretty lousy. Not waterproof, the battery compartment design is ridiculous (doesn't ever cover flush and only uses one side screw), and the cross bolt will strip in a heart beat (I replaced it...). And, like all lasers, I find it actually slows me down and makes me less accurate than irons as you focus more on the laser than targets. BUT, this gun is a "toy" and in this application, the lasermax works well.