• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rife Scope Recommendation (Vortex, Nightforce or Kahles)

LindyMN

Private
Minuteman
May 12, 2023
Minnesota
Hello everyone, newbie to posting but I have spent a great deal of time over the last year on your forum. My JP 223 will be arriving shortly and I have finally narrowed it down to 3 options. WIth being said, I plan on using this gun for the most part just fun shooting up North (shooting 25-500 yards.) I have also been invited to go prairie dog hunting in SD as well.

My 3 choices include: Vortex Razor HD Gen III 1-10, Nightforce ATACR 1-8 or the new Kahles coming out next month, K18i-2. After reading so many online reviews and websites etc, I feel like I am more confused on what is the best option so thank you in advance for your help, I sincerely appreciate it.

First question would be do you want first or second focal plane.

I preferred the glass quality of the Atacr over the Razor. But the Razor is quite good. 1x on the razor is better than the Atacr. Less scope tube throughout the whole mag range. Kahles I believe is the lightest. The 1-6 I had was amazing image wise. I hear the 1-8 is as good or better. FOV is off the chart.

Vortex Razor Gen3 is very cost effective. If you are a vet, you get a substantial discount on them through EuroOptic.

I only do FFP glass, SFP at shorter distances is acceptable for some folks but even if you were one of those people 500 yards isnt a short distance so I would only look at FFP personally.

I have both NF and Khales glass, I like both but the NF will probably be more cost effective especially if you find one in the PX.

Hello everyone, newbie to posting but I have spent a great deal of time over the last year on your forum. My JP 223 will be arriving shortly and I have finally narrowed it down to 3 options. WIth being said, I plan on using this gun for the most part just fun shooting up North (shooting 25-500 yards.) I have also been invited to go prairie dog hunting in SD as well.

My 3 choices include: Vortex Razor HD Gen III 1-10, Nightforce ATACR 1-8 or the new Kahles coming out next month, K18i-2. After reading so many online reviews and websites etc, I feel like I am more confused on what is the best option so thank you in advance for your help, I sincerely appreciate it.
The Kahles K18i-2 will be a badass. I'm a Kahles fan, but I also own Vortex and NF. Personally, I'd give that new Kahles a shot, and report back to us and let us know your thoughts. 👍🏼

Regarding prairie dogs, most of my shoots are 200 to 450 yards and I
like to go when pups are just out (I.e. Small.). 10 power and under will be a real disadvantage. I would suggest ar least 15 and prefer upper end of 22 or more. (Of course once you go you will decide to get 2 or 3 dedicated long range guns for PDs.)

• Love
Reactions: 1911hombre and BCP
Depending on your needs, I don't think you can go wrong with anyone of them.

The 1-X scopes aren't really for target shooting or varmints I would look 3-15X or more.

Reactions: Thorbeast
All of those options are great for typical LPVO roles, for what you’re trying to accomplish higher magnification would make shooting prairie dogs at distance more capable as said above.

Reactions: cooper_257
I agree with the folks above... The Kahles K318i SKMR3 would be a much better option shooting small varmints at distance.

The hardest part is figuring out what will work best for you, everybody is different and while a nice 1-8/1-10 might work for one shooter and their needs, a MPVO/mid-range optic with offset RDS might be the better option for another shooter. There is no right or wrong answer here, just different solutions to different situations. Finding out which is the best for "you" is sometimes a matter or trial and error.

On the low power 1-6 through 1-10 power scopes i prefer sfp. They are to me much better at low power and work very well at 3-400 yards. Any scope above 12 power will always be ffp for me. Jmo

For out to 500 I’d go 4-16 atacr with Mil XT. 1X is great for clearing a room but even 4X is useful at 25 yard. If you value accuracy over speed you’ll find you don’t use the scope on low power

As stated the SFP is nice on those because the reticle is more usable on lowest power. Where ffp tend to be to small. I really like my 1-6 Burris RT6 but again it’s usefulness is basically a red dot with the added mag if needed. I wouldn’t go prairie dogging at 500 yards with that as my optic

If you want to excel at the prairie dog shooting, here's a good deal on a lightly used Kahles K318i.

If you decide to go the LPVO route, The Razor G3 is a good value. But, any the three options you mentioned are very nice scopes.

Reactions: simonp