• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Riffle for .25 ACP?

bulletbluesky

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 2, 2023
Croatia
.25 ACP is traditionally a pistol caliber.
I wonder if there where attempts to make a precision riffle for that caliber?

I ran up the ballistics on a subsonic 300 Blackout to 1100 yards. The bullet rise was something in the order of 55 feet to get there. (Talk about flying though different weather systems :D). I am not sure if a 25 ACP could push a bullet out of a 26” barrel, much less fly all the way to an 1100 yard target.

Haters gonna hate.

The 25 acp will live on as long as there are dice games and liquor stores to rob.

Sometimes you just need a gun that will allow you to empty the magazine into someone without catching a murder charge.
Same with handguns chambered in cartridge .22LR (read Long RIFLE).
If handguns for 22LR, why not rifles in .25 ACP ?

Last edited:
Same with handguns chambered in cartridge .22LR (read Long RIFFLE).
If handguns for 22LR, why not riffles in .25 ACP ?
I'm all for it. Someone call hipoint..

Let's make a bolt gun in the most anemic cartridge ever developed.

What will you use it for? If you don't have a pellet gun, but you really want the neighbors dogs to stay out of your yard (without drawing blood), this may be the ticket. We could solve a problem here that doesn't even exist. I'm in..

I ran up the ballistics on a subsonic 300 Blackout to 1100 yards. The bullet rise was something in the order of 55 feet to get there. (Talk about flying though different weather systems :D). I am not sure if a 25 ACP could push a bullet out of a 26” barrel, much less fly all the way to an 1100 yard target.
Do the calcs for 22LR out to 1100. Then try to get to 1400.

What will you use it for? If you don't have a pellet gun, but you really want the neighbors dogs to stay out of your yard (without drawing blood), this may be the ticket. We could solve a problem here that doesn't even exist. I'm in..
Semiautomatic rifle then, doesn't matter. It can shot targets better than 25 ACP pistol, not dogs. 22LR was just more popular and cheaper ammo. That's the only reason I guess

Semiautomatic rifle then, doesn't matter. It can shot targets better than 25 ACP pistol, not dogs. 22LR was just more popular and cheaper ammo. That's the only reason I guess
Man, so much wrong with that statement.

Not just any cartridge to push a 50gr bullet with a bc of -14 all the way to 760fps.

So much ignorance.
25 ACP bullet with 760 ft/s from 2" BL will be pushed to 1000-1050 ft/s from 16" BL.
BCs of 40 gr 22LR and 50 gr 25 ACP are in similar ballpark.
I don't know how much harder I can agree with you. It's a spectacularly stupid idea. Let's build it already!

Reactions: Bender
So much ignorance.
25 ACP bullet with 760 ft/s from 2" BL will be pushed to 1000-1050 ft/s from 16" BL.
BCs of 40 gr 22LR and 50 gr 25 ACP are in similar ballpark.

You are insane.
A 25 acp has no more powder to burn after 10 inches of barrel.
Internal ballistics don't work like this.
Please.
Go away. You're a shill or AI

The good news is that you'll never have to worry about it destabilizing in the transonic range, because it never gets there. Without the sound though, I don't know if anything would even realize it had been hit. That's good considering you may need 5 or 6 rounds to work through a t-shirt. Walmart sells BB guns with more lethality, and they even come with a picture of Roy Roger's on the side of them, so...... checkmate.

I've been meaning to buy an AR-7 and even had my eye on one of the first made in California Armalite ar-7's, with the weird composite plastic stock. It's been an expensive month with new projects but I had to have this AR-7. Go to the PX and buy my stuff so I can keep making new stuff. Projects ongoing are a Rhodesian Browning A5 Combat Shotgun, Steyr M95 and SMLE bolt rifles converted to semi-auto, and a retractable arm device/ "sleeve gun" for a derringer. I loved the James Bond and Man From Uncle guns as a kid and had many of the toys.

This thing was so cool. It even came with a secret method to open the case and if you didn't do it right it would fire a cap. These go for up to $3000 on e-bay. Sort of takes the sting out of buying a real gun for $3K.

1702140862974.png
1702141097927.png

How to get your wife to let you buy an AI
calvin cookie 2.jpg

Last edited:

I am not sure it is the most anemic cartridge “ever” made, but of all the current rounds, it certainly fills the bill. The 5.5 Velo Dog revolver and cartridge challenged the .22 LR for power but it may outclass the .25 ACP. Very likely the Velo Dog did not survive is that it cost way more than a .22LR and offered nothing more in performance.

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
I am not sure it is the most anemic cartridge “ever” made, but of all the current rounds, it certainly fills the bill. The 5.5 Velo Dog revolver and cartridge challenged the .22 LR for power but it may outclass the .25 ACP. Very likely the Velo Dog did not survive is that it cost way more than a .22LR and offered nothing more in performance.
That's my theory too. That place was already occupied by 22LR cartridge. The advantage of the rimfire is price, while disadvantages are dirty lead bullets and not such a reliability as a centerfire. And just as for 22LR, rounds can be loaded hotter

I've been meaning to buy an AR-7 and even had my eye on one of the first made in California Armalite ar-7's, with the weird composite plastic stock. It's been an expensive month with new projects but I had to have this AR-7. Go to the PX and buy my stuff so I can keep making new stuff. Projects ongoing are a Rhodesian Browning A5 Combat Shotgun, Steyr M95 and SMLE bolt rifles converted to semi-auto, and a retractable arm device/ "sleeve gun" for a derringer. I loved the James Bond and Man From Uncle guns as a kid and had many of the toys.

This thing was so cool. It even came with a secret method to open the case and if you didn't do it right it would fire a cap. These go for up to $3000 on e-bay. Sort of takes the sting out of buying a real gun for $3K.

View attachment 8292135View attachment 8292137

How to get your wife to let you buy an AI
View attachment 8292149
I’ve got an Armalite ar7. Didn’t think they were worth anything

That would be so retarded. Why wouldn’t you just do a 9mm if you want to shoot a pistol round out of a rifle for some stupid reason? At least you can get ammo for the thing

Good idea. One of the winter projects is to spin up a 9mm barrel for my CZ 527. A few good reasons:

It fits the 5.45 x 39 boltface.
I need something that will shoot the hot 9mm subgun ammo I bought decades ago when I was younger and dumbe..... well, younger anyway.
It's a straight(ish) wall case so it sorta fits in the straight wall wildcat discussion.
The 16" barrel was $50. It's for an AR but that's nothing a lathe won't fix.
A reamer I ordered just showed up and I don't have anything else to use it on.
It's a shop project while the wife watches cop shows all day.
Snows coming.
I don't have one.
I build weird stuff.

See, prudent man rule.

Thank you,
MrSmith

Wow, what a great creation, the Assault Rifle 7, re-chambered/barreled or newly built in .25ACP. The woke folks will be going bonkers saying it ought to be illegal because i is so powerful, it would completely destroy anything much less any game animal shot with it.

So, let’s ban that horrible, ultra devastating .25 ACP before it is universally adopted and people are using it to take down large buildings.

Some time ago, there was a heated discussion here about someone wanting to build a subsonic .223.

After the dust cleared, I made a one word reply.

(.22LR)

As I recall, the .25ACP is officially the wimpiest C/F cartridge generally available. I'd be worried about sticking a bullet in the bore of a long-ish barrel.

Greg

Some time ago, there was a heated discussion here about someone wanting to build a subsonic .223.

(.22LR)

As I recall, the .25ACP is officially the wimpiest C/F cartridge generally available. I'd be worried about sticking a bullet in the bore of a long-ish barrel.

Greg
.22LR FMJ :)

(.22LR)

Greg

I actually have a whole shit-ton of .25 ACP to reload. But the jacketed boolits are not available. Readily. Every time a batch comes available I miss them. So I have a couple of tins of lead .25 Air gun projectiles to try and load. But honestly... have not had the cojones to load them. Very touchy with grain weight, etc.

It's basically a useless cartridge. And I have several .25's. Baby Colts and Brownings because I find tiny little guns fascinating. Like Kolibri's.

But eventually I'll get the nerve up to actually load. I have the dies. The primed cases. The (lead air gun) boolits. But holding out for jacketed.

The idea of a precision rifle in this pathetic, anemic, worthless cartridge has to either be the brainchild a troll or possibly the stupidest human being on the planet.

Sirhr

I wonder if Americans go to Croation forums and propose stupid shit?

Just kidding, Americans couldn't find Croatia on a map with an arrow pointing to it. Nor could we be bothered to learn their language (whatever it is).

22 LR, standard velocity is also pathetic, anemic, underpowered cartidge.
Not just it isn't suitable for self defence, but in my country it's forbidden to hunt any game with it.
But guess what...good rig with a match ammo can beat most of .223 remington rifles in match at 50 yards.
The thing is that developing rifles in 25 ACP is not a worth an effort since 22LR is already brought to the plinking perfection.

• Haha
Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
22 LR, standard velocity is also pathetic, anemic, underpowered cartidge.
Not just it isn't suitable for self defence, but in my country it's forbidden to hunt any game with it.
But guess what...good rig with a match ammo can beat most of .223 remington rifles in match at 50 yards.
The thing is that developing rifles in 25 ACP is not a worth an effort since 22LR is already brought to the plinking perfection.
You've clearly never shot .22lr comp.

I have .223 rifles that can shoot better groups at 200y than your best 22lr group at 50y.

It's not even close. I'm talking factory ammo on both ends too.

I have a .223 AR that I would put up against the best 22lr money will buy in a 50y match.

• Haha
Reactions: bulletbluesky
I wonder if Americans go to Croation forums and propose stupid shit?

Just kidding, Americans couldn't find Croatia on a map with an arrow pointing to it. Nor could we be bothered to learn their language (whatever it is).

Meh... BTDT...

Should bulldoze the whole place into Serbia and call victory. I mean... they helped develop the Yugo. So... not taking weapons design advice from them.

Yugos had heated rear windows so your hands would stay warm while pushing them.

Sirhr

Meh... BTDT...

Should bulldoze the whole place into Serbia and call victory. I mean... they helped develop the Yugo. So... not taking weapons design advice from them.

Yugos had heated rear windows so your hands would stay warm while pushing them.

Sirhr
You know what happens when you weld two Yugos together?