• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle advice .308 for long range

Seanod11b

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2009
West Palm beach Florida
Im looking into buying my first rifle for long range shooting. I plan on taking either a course at Rifles only or Blackwater, any advice on a good .308 for shooting up to 1000 yards? Under 1000$ would be appreciated lol

Re: Rifle advice .308 for long range

Save Remington 7005R or Tikka tactical .308. I would also like to shoot a FN Herstal rife as well.

Save yourself some money and buy one of the rifles here on this site. I wish I would have been on here awhile ago and bought a used rifle instead of a brand new rifle. Most guys don't shoot enough to have ruined a rifle.

Remington 5R and the Tikka are .5moa shooter with the right load developed. Ive got the older 595 Sporter TIkka in .308 and it shoots very well for a factory built rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Save yourself some money and buy one of the rifles here on this site. I wish I would have been on here awhile ago and bought a used rifle instead of a brand new rifle. Most guys don't shoot enough to have ruined a rifle. </div></div>

How are the Remington PSS's?

Better than most of the shooters behind it.

I'd recommend a 700P or 700PSS ONLY if you or someone very experienced looked it over before you bought it. Remingtons QC gets pretty spotty from time to time and you want to check the scope mounting holes for alignment and proper tapping, the trigger, whether or not the firing pin hole is actually in the center of the bolt or not, whether or not the extractor is properly installed, whether the muzzle andcrown are dinged, if a bore scope is handy you'll even want ot check the rifling, etc, etc, etc.

A 700 normally shoots just fine but it shouldn't come with little problems that will cost you money over the purchase price to straighten out.

Oh, those little problems I've mentioned? Yeah, my rifles in past years before I'd learned enough and thought out of the box was fine.

The Tikkas I've seen are definitely a cut above the Remingtons and one of the better bargains in rifles. Likewise the Howas (they make the rifles Weatherby markets as Vangaurds) are usually better finished and shoot well.

And of course Savage. A few years back folks on this site referred to Savages as tomato stakes. They've come a long way since and offer a few models no one else will like the F and FTR series. If they improve their quality control just a bit more they'll be real tough to beat.

To be honest, one of the best deals for a custom rifle price wise would be to build a new "700" with one of Jerry Stillers actions.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rust</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd recommend a 700P or 700PSS ONLY if you or someone very experienced looked it over before you bought it. Remingtons QC gets pretty spotty from time to time and you want to check the scope mounting holes for alignment and proper tapping, the trigger, whether or not the firing pin hole is actually in the center of the bolt or not, whether or not the extractor is properly installed, whether the muzzle andcrown are dinged, if a bore scope is handy you'll even want ot check the rifling, etc, etc, etc.

A 700 normally shoots just fine but it shouldn't come with little problems that will cost you money over the purchase price to straighten out.

Oh, those little problems I've mentioned? Yeah, my rifles in past years before I'd learned enough and thought out of the box was fine.

The Tikkas I've seen are definitely a cut above the Remingtons and one of the better bargains in rifles. Likewise the Howas (they make the rifles Weatherby markets as Vangaurds) are usually better finished and shoot well.

And of course Savage. A few years back folks on this site referred to Savages as tomato stakes. They've come a long way since and offer a few models no one else will like the F and FTR series. If they improve their quality control just a bit more they'll be real tough to beat.

To be honest, one of the best deals for a custom rifle price wise would be to build a new "700" with one of Jerry Stillers actions. </div></div>

+1 on the Remington PSS, SPS comment. It appears to be sometime between Sept of last year through December. Quite a few QC problems with bad drilling/tapping on the receiver for base screws. I got one of them as did a few other members here, but it's been fixed on my penny because sending back to Remmy F'd it up even more.

I have 2 Remmy PSS rifles and love them both. Highly recommend the PSS.

The PSS is 1/2 MOA out of the box, and shoots real well with 45 grains of Varget under a 175SMK.
I love mine. I shoot it whenever I can. Took me three years to master it at 300M. Took that long to make a 1.5" group at 300M. 100M, adn 200M were easy. 400M is doing good too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LNO1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FN SPR.........FBI chose it for a reason! </div></div>

Cause they couldnt afford AI's

Try a Savage, almost all of them are shooters right out of the box. I personaly own one and know of several others around here. They all shoot extremely well. Mine below, (when it had the factory barrel) shot 1/2" groups at 100 and 200, 3/4" to 1" at 300 and 3" at 600. Of course now with a custom barrel it shoots 1/4" at 100, just under 1/2" at 200, between 1/2 and 3/4" at 300 and between 1.9" and 2.5" at 600. All of this of course is if I am on my game when I go shoot. You should be able to get a Savage for under $1000. The F/TR Shoots 1/2 at 300 out of the box but run a little over $1000. Doesn't matter how much you pay for a gun or what brand you get, if you don't practice, well you get the idea. Good luck in your search.

Watch the Savage triggers. At the 2007 World Championships at Connaught Range in Ottawa, Ontario, one of the Young Eagles' rifle went down when a plastic part of his trigger gave up.

FWIW.

I think every single Remmy that had a flaw from the factory was bought by a forum member... The issues are arent as bad as it seems, mine have been great! IMO (doent mean much i guess ha) you cant go wrong with one of there P's PSS's or even a SPS-V if you swap the stock ASAP.

Thanks for the advice. will keep an eye on it. So far the gun is about 5 yrs old, shot out the factory barrel and rebarreled. Receiver is probably nearing 7500 to 8000 rounds. I will retire her at 10,000 to a hunting rifle. Then it will be time to build again. Next build will be another savage 10 FP same as below and a .300WM or 7mm with my rem 700 action.

You should stick to muthafukin farmin! FN is good sheeat! Price wasn't a factor....accuracy and reliability was. Hm?

I've owned several remmys man and I swear to you that there's nuthin wrong with them that you can't fix for a very cheap price, and that is IF there's
Any thing wrong with it at all. Now I'm shooting a Remington 700 5-R .308 24" barrel with a 5.5x22x56 night force on it an I bet any thing I've got I could drag it out of the safe right now and ring steel at a grand. The 5-r is a step above the 700p I believe because I've owned both. You can probobly find one for about 1100.00 on gun broker. Then all you need is a Harris bipod and jewel trigger.it shoots very well with 45.5grns of varget with 175 Berger vld's.

And for savage. I wouldn't use it as a tomato stick because it would rust away before the tomato's were ripe. Hahaha

SPS-V, 700P, LTR or SPS-Tactical.

They will all be shooters out of the box. The SPS will be cheaper and allow you to upgrade the stock with something that fits you when you deem it necessary. The LTR or 700P will come with a stock that it adquate and can be sold quickly if you decide to upgrade it.

Any of the above are a good platform for limitless customization when you feel that your skills are surpassing the platform.

I have head good things about Savage and I love their .22's but I have no experience with their centerfire rifles.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Riley501</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the advice. will keep an eye on it. So far the gun is about 5 yrs old, shot out the factory barrel and rebarreled. Receiver is probably nearing 7500 to 8000 rounds. I will retire her at 10,000 to a hunting rifle. </div></div>

"Retire" a receiver? Why? Show me one shred of evidence that a rifle action cannot perform like the day it was new after going through five or six barrels or however many barrels...

Newbies, don't think this is a necessary course of action (no pun intended). Barrels can become shot out, though the average shooter will never use one to that degree. If that day arrives, put a new barrel on the rifle, and you're back in business. Repeat as necessary. You do not need to "retire" a receiver (i.e. action) for any sort of functional/operating concern.

I'm with you Nate. It seems to me that if and when a barrel is "shot out" it's not so much the barrel lands themselves as the throat. Set the barrel back and it seems to me like they will shoot just fine unless the gun is a high pressure high-vel caliber. Of course you might just as well upgrade your barrel if you are going to cut a new chamber if you have the cash.

Can't beat the most popular Rem 700. You can't buy much more to stay in your budget range. Look for a used one that has a record for known accuracy. Those barrels last a long time.

+1 nate. i have an old pre-garcia sako L579 action that has been re barreled 8 times. (its currently a .220 swift improved) that action has over 25,000 rounds under its belt and there is absolutley nothing wrong with it. ive replaced the firing pin spring once and the bolt stop spring once and that is it.still drives tacks! probably out last us all.

yeah, yeah I here you sarcastic ass people. I know about throat erosion, and no need to retire an action and all that crap. but some of us like new shit. and some appreciate the muthafukin fact that we don't need to spend 2,3,4 thousand dollars to shot accurately and dependably. I didnt put any other rifles down and think all mentioned above would be good. just giving information on what I have exprienced, which is a lot of what people are looking for here. assholes that want to put other people (shooters) down, is partly what gives the gun enthusiast a bad name. it also makes the newer shooters hesitant to ask questions for fear some idiot will put down them or their so called tomato sticks. my appologies to any that were just trying to give information but the rest ( and you know who you are ) can take your on advice and go back to muthafukin farmin or + t or whatever.