• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle advice? 6.5CM stock/barrel

Jmz

Private
Minuteman
Jan 29, 2024
NZ
I'm looking to get a rifle for long range target shooting. No hunting.
I've decided on the 6.5CM calibre. 24".
I'd appreciate advice on
1) barrel - I'm looking at Tikka vs howa
Pros and cons regarding barrel life and accuracy.(I'm aware of the prices).
2) stock - I'm looking for a lightweight, quality stock. GRS sounds lightweight, not sure how good they are? The Tikka ctr ddm4v7-like stock looks great, but I've heard they are a bit heavier. Are there better options?

I would welcome any advice.
Accuracy, lifespan, and weight (portability) are my main considerations currently, but open to other suggestions.

I’ve got a Tikka in a KRG Bravo as my “jack of all trades” rifle. I just ordered a PVA prefit barrel in 6.5 Creed.

So far no real complaints! The action is smooth!

Stock barrel is accurate but not threaded that’s why I’m changing it out.

If your looking at a “budget” build the PVA barrel on sale and KRG are what I chose.

I'd appreciate advice on
2) stock - I'm looking for a lightweight, quality stock. GRS sounds lightweight, not sure how good they are? The Tikka ctr ddm4v7-like stock looks great, but I've heard they are a bit heavier. Are there better options?

Accuracy, lifespan, and weight (portability) are my main considerations currently, but open to other suggestions.

What country are you in?

Outside of the states (SA), but general principles and materials would be useful info. And most things can theoretically be imported if not already available.

I’ve got a Tikka in a KRG Bravo as my “jack of all trades” rifle. I just ordered a PVA prefit barrel in 6.5 Creed.

So far no real complaints! The action is smooth!

Stock barrel is accurate but not threaded that’s why I’m changing it out.

If your looking at a “budget” build the PVA barrel on sale and KRG are what I chose.
Thanks for the response! I am leaning towards Tikka atm, was just wondering about how it's numbers compare to Howa (I.e how big is the measurable difference actually).
I shall look into the KRG bravo, thanks.

If accuracy is a priority, light weight shouldn’t be. They are competing attributes. Get the heaviest barrel you can. Then pair it with a heavy stock or one that achieves the desired balance.

Barrels - both a great at their respective price points. Tikka makes some of the most accurate factory barrels I’ve ever seen. I’ve had two. They are a bit in the slow side though. Lifespan will be similar in both given same ammo.

Tikka + KRG is a great combo.

I'd appreciate advice on

Honestly, if you're considering going with a factory barreled action to drop into a stock and customize, then I'd just order an Aero Solus barreled action, and put your trigger of choice in it, and drop it in your stock/chassis of choice, since it uses a 700 footprint, and 700 clone triggers.

IMO, it's a better route compared to any assembly line mass-produced action out there...Definitely beefier and stronger. The 60º throw and 3-lug bolt are nice features, too. And from the factory it's designed to feed from both AICS and AW mags.

Here's a couple complete rifle options...

Tikka in a bravo is a great choice. Will be about 10lbs with a 25oz scope. Nice in between weight for hunting and target shooting

If accuracy is a priority, light weight shouldn’t be. They are competing attributes. Get the heaviest barrel you can. Then pair it with a heavy stock or one that achieves the desired balance.

Barrels - both a great at their respective price points. Tikka makes some of the most accurate factory barrels I’ve ever seen. I’ve had two. They are a bit in the slow side though. Lifespan will be similar in both given same ammo.

Tikka + KRG is a great combo.
Thanks!
Is it a problem to have a heavy barrel with a lightweight stock?
So same lifespan and somewhat better accuracy with the Tikka, that's what I wanted to know.