• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Balance - Proof Competition Contour

rybe390

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2017
Hey all!

I'm looking to potentially pick up a few origin Proof competition contour prefits, and had a few questions about overall rifle weight and balance from those using them.

I currently run a 26" MTU and a krg bravo, with a heavy suppressor. Rifle is 18.5 lbs with weights added for balance. Without the suppressor, I remove a grip weight, and the rifle balances the same but around 16.5 lbs.

Balance point is ideally 2" in front of magwell for me.

Those of you running propf comp contours, where does your rifle balance, and how much does your full rifle weigh? I have a hard time understanding how an extra 2lbs of barrel will even remotely feel okay to shoot.

Reactions: 338dude
I run a 26” 6.5 creed comp contour on a tl3 with a gen 2 razor in a KRG w3 enclosed fore end folder. The fore end has a steel bar running the inside length of it and I have no other weights on it. It balances like 1” maybe in front of the magwell. I want more front end weight on it. Total weight is like 20-21 pounds. In a bravo, it’ll likely be a little front heavy

it's not more than 1# of difference between a MTU and a Proof CC looking at bartlein and proof barrel contour weight lists

i'd rather be 3-4" in front of a magwell though. center on the middle of a gamechanger

it's not more than 1# of difference between a MTU and a Proof CC looking at bartlein and proof barrel contour weight lists

i'd rather be 3-4" in front of a magwell though. center on the middle of a gamechanger
5lbs 4 oz criterion mtu, 7lbs + comp contour?

• Wow
Reactions: 338dude
so not a real like 6.75# MTU. it's a barrel nut prefit

remember though...most of that extra weight will be because it's a much thicker shank at 1.25" versus 1.06" so the extra weight is mostly right at the balance point
Shoot, I had not thought of that even for a second.

Reactions: b6graham
so not a real like 6.75# MTU. it's a barrel nut prefit

remember though...most of that extra weight will be because it's a much thicker shank at 1.25" versus 1.06" so the extra weight is mostly right at the balance point
You'll laugh but I taped loaded pistol magazines to my stock to mimic weight at the shank, with a bit of weight further forward, to the exact weight difference between barrels.....the rifle balances near identical to current, and even so far as balancing the same with/without a suppressor, and the varying weights I need to add/remove because of the can.

I think this would be a great contour to run, if overall rifle weight isn't a concern. 20lb rig easily, and I'm running a mk5.

Reactions: b6graham
I have the MDT ACC with razor gen 2 and a 26in 6cm proof CC and mine will balance right in front of the magwell. For what I like the balance is perfect for me and I have no other weights on the gun at all. I was worried about balance at first but I will be buying another when this barrel is shot out.

I have a proof comp contour on a tl3 with whiskey 3 folder. It balances 3.5 inches in front of the magwell.

With a surefire 300sps I need a heavy bag rider to get it to balance correctly.

Attachments

• 7D3D4756-1C5C-4312-805F-995F024AB0A1.jpeg
    7D3D4756-1C5C-4312-805F-995F024AB0A1.jpeg
    433.9 KB · Views: 183
Proof comp is definitely a pound or so heavier I own both. I think the comp will help move you balance forward

I have a proof comp contour on a tl3 with whiskey 3 folder. It balances 3.5 inches in front of the magwell.

Appreciate the data point. When I added the 2lbs to the front of my rifle, my balance was near identical. With my sdn6 up front i need both rear weights and grip weight in a bravo. 20.5lbs and balance 3.5" from magwell. I think it'll work just fine.

Reactions: Bulldogce
Vision Chassis, 26" proof comp contour, with atlas supercal, no other external weights... 19.8 lbs

The balance point (including atlas supercal - approx 1.7 lbs) is marked in the picture below blue nail polish. The pink/white nail polish is the balance point with a 4.67 pound 24" barrel.

You can see that an extra 2+ lbs makes a big difference in balance point. One point won't balance on bag for me (due to that crazy big barricade stop). The other point will balance on bag (but another inch forward would make a big difference).

Reactions: rybe390

This is a little off topic, but how well does the Proof Competition contour barrel fit in the Whiskey 3 chassis? Is there adequate clearance between the barrel and the barrel channel? KRG states that the Proof Competition barrel will fit but they feel that it is too tight.

This is a little off topic, but how well does the Proof Competition contour barrel fit in the Whiskey 3 chassis? Is there adequate clearance between the barrel and the barrel channel? KRG states that the Proof Competition barrel will fit but they feel that it is too tight.
Bump. I'm interested in this as well.

So, I ended up getting a proof comp contour, and I run a KRG bravo with enclosed foreend.

I would say fit is good with adequate clearance, there is nothing I'm actually worried about with fit, and the gun shoots.

It’s tight but i don’t think it’s an issue at all in either the standard or enclosed forfend. You will not be able to use the NVG bridge with the comp contour unless you modify it.

Reactions: CORam
I am glad to hear that you both don't have fitment issues. I actually have a Bravo right now, but I am considering getting a W3 and the Proof Comp barrel. But I am glad that it fits the Bravo too. I guess I have options then.