• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rifle Balance Question for a Norma Build

huntfish

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 16, 2010
I'm about to send all the parts for my 338 build off to Mr. Snyder. Like so often happens (at least to me), I changed my tune mid-stride and decided against 338 Edge and for 338 Norma. So I ordered a new bolt from PTG and thought I was all set. When I ordered this ABS/Proof barrel, I wanted a 30" finish length for an Edge. But after Norma was landed upon, and after talking with dudes who shoot 338 Norma, including the smith, they tell me that 26" is ideal.

So here is the question. The stock is inletted for a very long shank, which isn't so much of an issue when 30" of pipe is hangin off the front. But if I go 26", I'm afraid that a long shank will fowl up the balance of the rifle, especially after the scope for this build, which is heavy-ish, is ontop. Just afraid that it will be to "center heavy".

All this is to say that, I have to make a decision about sending the barrel to Proof and getting them to take some inches of the muzzle.

So....Long shank and 26"?

Or more traditional shank length and fill in the "unused" shank inletting?

How much can you shorten the shank on the carbon fiber barrel? Im not sure if you would want the chamber extending into the area that is covered by c/f as opposed to steel.