• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle barrel twist

Bwhntr53

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2020
Ok. I have been doing a little bit of research and studying. This may already be posted somewhere if so I apologize but I find this helpful.

Professor Sir Alfred George Greenhill of the British Royal Military Academy, who devised a formula for determining twist rate which, simplified here, multiplies the square of the bullet diameter by 150 and then divides the result by the length of the bullet, and looks like this: (C x D2) ÷ L = T.

C is a constant, 150; D2 is bullet diameter multiplied by itself, L is bullet length and T is the result, twist rate. Using it is simple; let’s stick with our 5.56 mm/.223 Rem. example. The bullet diameter is .244" and length of a 55 grainer is .740". Following Greenhill:

Step 1—Finding D2: .244 x .244 = .05953
Step 2—Finding C x D2: 150 x .05953 = 8.9295
Step 3—Divide result by bullet length: 8.9295 ÷ .740 = 12.06

So, 1:12.06-inch, rounded to 1:12-inch, is our standard twist rate for the .223 Rem. 55-grain bullet.

May be programs out there for this but I see it helpful to me as a newbie.
Bwhntr53

I am all for a calculator to plug numbers in. I am going there. Thanks. 😉

I tend to allways give myself a cushion and go a bit faster than needed.
Even though most of my shooting is done around 5000' elevation I choose a twist rate that would also have comfortable stability at sea level.
While your using the calculator punch in the numbers for both high altitude and sea level and various temp ranges.

Reactions: Bwhntr53