• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Barrels?

Rooster931

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2011
NY
If you could choose any of these barrels for your next build what would you buy. Remington 700 action, Caliber .308, lenght 20". Twist 1-10, 1-11 or 1-12.

Krieger
Rock Creek
Obermeyer

Re: Rifle Barrels?

Boots as a commodity,Mike for hard use and Krieger in 3rd place by light years...if only because I have them all.

Any....

I would worry more about who chambers and installs it. To that end I would call the smith I want to do the work and ask him who has the shortest lead time on a blank or what he has in stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any....

I would worry more about who chambers and installs it. To that end I would call the smith I want to do the work and ask him who has the shortest lead time on a blank or what he has in stock.

</div></div>

Yep. I would also add Brux to the list, if you're feelin it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rooster931</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you could choose any of these barrels for your next build what would you buy. Remington 700 action, Caliber .308, lenght 20". Twist 1-10, 1-11 or 1-12.

Krieger
Rock Creek
Obermeyer </div></div>

What about contour? Since you're looking at 20", perhaps you're goal is to save weight? I would go with Rem Varmint or M24 contour. Cutting to length is easy.

I see no reason not to get a 1/10 twist. This will allow you to use the heaviest bullets available.

I would go to Southern Precision Rifles and see if they have a blank meeting that criteria in stock. I would go with Bartlein, Krieger, then Rock Creek.

Lone Wolf is right. Lots of good barrel makers out there. Worry more about building right and tuning a load to it.

I prefer Krieger and Bartlein, but would be happy with a Rock Creek, Obermeyer or Brux if I couldn't find the first two. Get a 1:10" twist and don't look back. As Lonewolf said, choose one of the reputable smiths from this site and have him chamber the rifle for you. That will set you up pretty well.

Before caring about who made the barrel, I'd worry more about quickly scoring a barrel of the caliber, twist, length and contour I wanted.

What does anyone know about Douglas barrels? Im looking at their Air gauged Chrome moly barrel...

Thx