• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle bolt coating options

RHallenbeck

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2011
Beaumont, Tx
Have a SAKO TRG bolt that has some normal wear and scuffing through the factory black finish on bolt.. I'd like to get the bolt recoated and was looking into some of the best slippery and durable coatings.. I do not want to clearance action for anything with a heavy build. I have read favorable referrals to BLACK ICE and also to the IONBOND .. Just wanted to get some feedback from users..

Rick

Dude, just leave it. Its only gonna feel better and better the more you shoot it. I dont know how those bolts are treated. If nitrided like AI’s are, the black is a byproduct of treatment(not a coating). Its a surface hardening, and that is not lost when the black goes away.
Sorry to crash a thread, but I'm wondering about my bolt too. It's nitride and so is the action, but I'm wondering what I could do with it and what I shouldn't? Can you polish the black off and if so, what would that do?

Sorry to crash a thread, but I'm wondering about my bolt too. It's nitride and so is the action, but I'm wondering what I could do with it and what I shouldn't? Can you polish the black off and if so, what would that do?
You should concentrate on wearing all the black off by cycling the bolt after each shot. After 15k rounds or so, it will have a nicely used look and be almost entirely “polished“.

Well it's just an action right this minute so it won't be shot anytime too soon. The barrel blank won't be here until tomorrow I think. While I've got it apart, I'd like to pretty it up a little. I can't imagine the group around here giving me crap about wanting pretty up a gun but I guess I was wrong....
You should concentrate on wearing all the black off by cycling the bolt after each shot. After 15k rounds or so, it will have a nicely used look and be almost entirely “polished“.

Have a SAKO TRG bolt that has some normal wear and scuffing through the factory black finish on bolt.. I'd like to get the bolt recoated and was looking into some of the best slippery and durable coatings.. I do not want to clearance action for anything with a heavy build. I have read favorable referrals to BLACK ICE and also to the IONBOND .. Just wanted to get some feedback from users..

Rick
Call Birdsong and get it Black-T 601-939-7448...
Tell Wally to put the bolt on my account I'll pay for it for you :)

Mike R.

Well it's just an action right this minute so it won't be shot anytime too soon. The barrel blank won't be here until tomorrow I think. While I've got it apart, I'd like to pretty it up a little. I can't imagine the group around here giving me crap about wanting pretty up a gun but I guess I was wrong....

If the action is new, or new to you, I understand maybe putting a better coating on it to start. Hell I Cerakoted an old action I was turning into a new rifle. It's now got a wear pattern from cycling it so much, and I don't care.

There are two types of people, well, maybe three.
First - The I want it pretty crowd. They will baby it from safe to bench and back.
Second - I want it nice, but once the first scratch happens, I'll just get over it and run it. Whatever happens, happens. Granite boulder barricade? Who cares.
Third - Nothing better happen to my baby, or you all die. Probably lives in the safe, gets fondled, and put back.

Most here I think fall in camp two. I got nothing against group one. Those that fall in the third category, what is wrong with you?

Reactions: DTF370
If the action is new, or new to you, I understand maybe putting a better coating on it to start. Hell I Cerakoted an old action I was turning into a new rifle. It's now got a wear pattern from cycling it so much, and I don't care.

There are two types of people, well, maybe three.
First - The I want it pretty crowd. They will baby it from safe to bench and back.
Second - I want it nice, but once the first scratch happens, I'll just get over it and run it. Whatever happens, happens. Granite boulder barricade? Who cares.
Third - Nothing better happen to my baby, or you all die. Probably lives in the safe, gets fondled, and put back.

Most here I think fall in camp two. I got nothing against group one. Those that fall in the third category, what is wrong with you?
Yeah I'm in camp # 2. I wouldn't do anything to it if it was already all put together, but since I just got the action from a fellow hide guy, and I don't even have the barrel yet, why not gussie up a little? It will get scratched, they all do but if it's "my scratch" , it looks so much better than someone else's scratch! :) but protection and function would be top concern.

I have used three different coatings on bolts: Cerakote Elite, ArmorLube and DLC. IMO, Cerakote Elite produced the smoothest bolt when it was used with the inside of the action coated as well. Second would be ArmorLube which is I feel is the most durable and I use it on all moving parts on my semi-autos. It does not require lubricant which helps keep out dirt. I did not any improvement when I coated my bolt with DLC and I would not recommend it.

I did not any improvement when I coated my bolt with DLC and I would not recommend it.
I guess this is where there are tons of different experiences, different actions, different surface and fit conditions, old action vs. new, etc.......

My experience with DLC has been the opposite. Not saying I'm right and you're wrong, just saying it may depend on the host action/rifle.

With the actions I am having components DLC'd and with the way I am finishing everything out, I am very, very pleased with the smoothness and long term surface performance of the IonBond TB40 and TB41.

They just received another 16 bolts, cocking pieces, extractors and firing pins from me to process. Cumulatively I have sent quite a few components to them in the last several years and have had nothing but excellent performance in the field.

./

Kind of related; since we're talking coatings, does anyone know what Cryptic Coatings' Mystic Black is?

I’ve used DLC on several rifles in the past. It won’t take a rough action and make it run smooth, but it will keep a smooth action running nicely with less need for lube.

Call Birdsong and get it Black-T 601-939-7448...
Tell Wally to put the bolt on my account I'll pay for it for you :)

Mike R.
How are you this awesome all the time? I don't understand how its possible, but it seems to be!

And I'll +1 the Black-T treatment. I had a pistol done by them when Walter was still alive and he was an amazingly kind and knowledgeable fellow. His treatment was freaking amazing on that pistol too.

Kind of related; since we're talking coatings, does anyone know what Cryptic Coatings' Mystic Black is?
As someone who has three of their bolts, one a complete spare, it's the only coating I've come across that actually matters. Everything else is inferior in my opinion.

As to what it actually is, they don't specifically say here.
They just talk about coatings in general.

Based on their description it's DLC.
1613108632553.png
1613108657763.png

Reactions: 308pirate