• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Build Discussion

Mout_Sniper

Private
Minuteman
Mar 20, 2009
NC
i currently own a remington 700 sps varminter .308 that i have over $1,500 invested in and as most rifles it shoots on average 3/4 moa withmatch ammo on a good rest. i am thinking of selling to fund another project. i have only owned this one remington all my other bolts have been savage and i guess i am quite partial to them. i have in mind to take a savage precision sporter action, with a shilen stainless select match 26" bull chambered in 30-06. i know this debate comes up alot 06 vs .308 i intend to usa as a hunting rifle but also as my shooting gets better some competition shoots. as it stands i believe that the 06 rounds are the same and sometimes cheaper, i intend to reload, and with everyone buying all the 308 and 223, the 06 seems to be untouched. what is everyone opinion. btw the total i have come up with is around 1,200 for the build.

Re: Rifle Build Discussion

First...welcome aboard!

Second...Fill out your profile!

Third...Might wanna try the search option in the right hand corner, the .308 .vs .30-06 has been well talked about before on here

my intention isnt on the effectiveness of the 308 vs the 30-06 but the potential accuracy, reliability and adaptability of the remington 700 action compared to the savage 110. i think that all variables should be taken into account... the stiffness, reliability, and overall availability of parts for the remington 700. and on the savage side the fact that a competent person can at their discretion change the caliber of the rifle without having to pay the high price of a gunsmith, the new action withthe accutrigger, and the availability of parts for the savage line. and also how accurate the savages have proven to be

It sounds like you have sold yourself another Savage. Build it up and shoot the hell out of it.

here is the round up as of 2000 hrs today...
savage 110 precision sporter actionw/ hinged floorplate- $380
Shilen 26" bull Stainless select match- $380
Hogue Varmint stock w/ aluminum bed block- $279
30-06 go gauge- $28
Savage barrel nut wrench- $39
Barrel wrench- borrowed
total- $1106 +/- for shipping and taxes
built by me which is a plus

I know you are set on the 3006 savage, but I would use a 308 Remington. 308 is more accurate and I have heard bad things about the reliability of savage bolts.

JMO.