• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle build for field style matches

King_beardsly

MMPRL & Low Dollar Precision
Minuteman
  • Jun 12, 2018
    Beast Coast
    I’ve been playing around with shooing field style matches next year and I’m looking for a little direction on the build. I plan on shooting the sniper unknown challenge next year and possibly one of the war horses development matches so switching out my dasher and MPA comp setup for a McMillan A6, 6creed in a M24 contour or similar is what I’m thinking.

The goal is build something that’s not a 20+ pound match monster but something a little more balanced and possibly lively.

Serious Newbie question: Why are you switching from Dasher to 6cm? I have a 6cm and love it but fixing to build a dasher for competition next year... I don't want to do this if it's the wrong direction.

I want to be able to push 115 at around 2900-2950ish and the dasher can’t do that, plus I’ve already got a 6creed that’s setup as a predator/do all rig. You won’t go wrong with the dasher, I’ve enjoyed mine.

OK. Good. Should I stick with smaller pills for the Dasher? or will 105-108s work ok? I've been scouring the hide for load suggestions. I'm learning H4350 will work but not if I want to get 105s over 2800 fps.

OK. Good. Should I stick with smaller pills for the Dasher? or will 105-108s work ok? I've been scouring the hide for load suggestions. I'm learning H4350 will work but not if I want to get 105s over 2800 fps.

You might look at StaBALL 6.5 for 105s over 2800 fps. I got my Berger 109s in the 2950 fps range just above the minimum recommended charge weight from Hodgdon, and the load recommendation for 6 Dasher maxes out at 2,943 fps. It lives up to its promise of improving velocities 50-100fps.

Reactions: King_beardsly
    I’ve been playing around with shooing field style matches next year and I’m looking for a little direction on the build. I plan on shooting the sniper unknown challenge next year and possibly one of the war horses development matches so switching out my dasher and MPA comp setup for a McMillan A6, 6creed in a M24 contour or similar is what I’m thinking.

The goal is build something that’s not a 20+ pound match monster but something a little more balanced and possibly lively.

To circle back to the original theme of this discussion, I've got a Remington 700 24" medium palma in a KRG X-ray chassis, and it feels really handy. It's in .308, so it's not a fantastic match gun, but I definitely feel I can carry it and use it effectively if I were to run it in a field match.

It’s a little light and I feel the fore end is little short but other wise it’s pretty handy. Might work in a pinch if needed

I think you pick the weight based on the carrying it/shooting stabilty cost benefit. From there, match the best barrel weight to the chassis/stock of your choice.

Seems between 12 or 16 pounds would be where I would land if rucking were any significant portion. I may put one on a bucket list.

I think in AAR on Mammoth I have seen that guys have said a lighter rifle would suffice. Didn't need the heavy rifle.

Curious about competitors comments.

I’ll have to weigh my bravo setup and see were that’s currently sitting and then add in the weight difference between the optics I’m currently running

An M24 or Heavy Palma is still going to make for a heavy rifle.

My wife's rifle for example, which is a LP Fuzion in a KRG Bravo with a 24" heavy palma barrel, is about ~17-18 lbs.

I'm not sure what weight you are aiming for. The general perception of what is considered "heavy" constantly changes in our little world. If 17-18lbs is too much, then I would consider a lighter contour barrel, or maybe even carbon. But if going with carbon, I would forgo the barrel burner 6 creed and go with something like a 6BR.

KRG Bravo is a fairly light chassis, which would work well for your purposes. But I think barrel contour should be carefully considered.

My wife's rifle for example, which is a LP Fuzion in a KRG Bravo with a 24" heavy palma barrel, is about ~17-18 lbs.

I'm not sure what weight you are aiming for. The general perception of what is considered "heavy" constantly changes in our little world. If 17-18lbs is too much, then I would consider a lighter contour barrel, or maybe even carbon. But if going with carbon, I would forgo the barrel burner 6 creed and go with something like a 6BR.

KRG Bravo is a fairly light chassis, which would work well for your purposes. But I think barrel contour should be carefully considered.

I’ve got a 26” medium Palma 6creed in a KRG bravo currently that’s my do all rig after being my budget comp gun last season.

I think you are right. I personally go with carbon and put more weight in the stock or chassis for weight and balance and get max barrel stiffness.

If I am gonna put the time and effort in, the cost of barrel isn't gonna be a big deal.

I do agree for a 6bra or brx or dasher maybe. I have been shooting 6xc, but am gonna add a 6bra.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
    I’ve got a dasher in an MPA comp chassis with a 26” m24 and it’s definitely not light but could work in a pinch.

Last edited:
    Bore size to blank size is another consideration. Seems guys get hung up on m24 or hvy palma, then wonder why their 224 valk or 6br is so heavy. With 22 cal, im good with rem var or med palma. With 6mm im ok with med palma or marksman. On 6.5 cal, marksman or hvy palma. If I want lighter or heavier, I deviate from these choices. When I use the above combos, with similar lengths, result in rifles balancing similar, with comparable optics and stocks.

Use a med palma with a good brake and practice with it. It will be lighter weight but still plenty workable as a match rifle. I run a 27" med palma 6.5 Creed in a Manners T3 with a Razor II on it and it's right at the 15 pound mark. Cut your barrel contour down to save that weight if you will be carrying it.

Reactions: 6brshooter
    6creed would be good for this style match, especially SUC since it’s all blind stages and unknown distance. something that can cheat elevation a bit if your range call isn’t spot on. A possible bonus is you can get cheaper brass so you don’t care as much when more than a few pieces disappear in the weeds and brush each stage.

something else to consider for your build: tripod integration. I went to SUC last year and something like half the stages needed a tripod and several others were easier with one. An arca rail on the stock with a RRS or similar ball or leveling head was a great way to go. Another option would be the Hog saddle or similar rifle clamp. they’re not as rigid but don’t need any changes to your stock.

6creed would be good for this style match, especially SUC since it’s all blind stages and unknown distance. something that can cheat elevation a bit if your range call isn’t spot on. A possible bonus is you can get cheaper brass so you don’t care as much when more than a few pieces disappear in the weeds and brush each stage.

something else to consider for your build: tripod integration. I went to SUC last year and something like half the stages needed a tripod and several others were easier with one. An arca rail on the stock with a RRS or similar ball or leveling head was a great way to go. Another option would be the Hog saddle or similar rifle clamp. they’re not as rigid but don’t need any changes to your stock.

I’ve probably got 500 pieces federal 6cm brass laying around from last season and tripods/hog saddles from a hunting rig. I might not need to change anything on my do all rig besides maybe the optic.

Not to be necroposting, but can you share what you're train of thought is right now?
    What's your target weight? Where are you leaning for caliber?

I asked a similar question and the search function turned this thread up.

My 6cm is 14 lb. I’d like heavier. But no place for chassis weights on the AI legacy stock. My suppressor is in NFA jail but after that is installed I’ll be happy.