• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Builder Qualifications & Attributes

What three attributes to consider to be most important?

• On-site component availability

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tenure (Time in business)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Rockdoc173

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Aug 26, 2014
    Florida
    If you didn't already have a preferred rifle builder, what are the top attributes that you would look to as you decide who you will give your hard-earned $$ to? Is it price, lead time, referral emphasis, personality, customer service, response to error, on-site component supply, reputation, volume, etc.? Or, if you meet somebody at the range that has never had a rifle built, how would you advise them?

Last edited:
    Referral is key for me. There are a lot of skilled builders out there so I take the advice of those better than me. If they are shooting at the top tier of this sport then it would be silly for me to not trust the people they do.

I put my votes down.
    I think reputation, customer service and resolving issues are related to each other, so I chose reputation.

I have chosen based on location and reputation in the past. Thankfully those worked out well.

Reactions: Charlie112
    I put my votes down.
    I think reputation, customer service and resolving issues are related to each other, so I chose reputation.

I have chosen based on location and reputation in the past. Thankfully those worked out well.
    Thank you Mike!

Communication was always a big factor for me. If they won't answer the phone or takes weeks to respond to an email, I avoid them. I figured if I am trying to spend $4-5k and communication sucks, I'd hate to see how they handle an issue.

I've run across this very thing. I had a great builder. He is no longer taking any business, shutting down. I asked who he is referring all of his work to now and he told me. That says a lot about who he's giving the work too. So, I'm watching to see how his business progresses. Right now, he seems to be doing well. But I still wouldn't hesitate to send something to LRI either.

I think there are several things to consider. I've had rifles built by GA Precision, reputation and who was doing the build (Eric Reed). I've also had work done by GA Precision based on reputation and access to Badger Ordnance parts. I've also had a build done by Randy Cain of R&D Precision. He was only about a mile or less from where I lived but he also had a good reputation. Currently buying a rifle which is a collaboration between Mike Rescigno (Tactical Operations) and Terry Cross (KMW Long Range Solutions), neither of which are local to me now. A rifle built buy either would be great but a collaboration between the two is a strong draw. I've bought Terry's products in the past and wished I had the funds to buy one of his or a Tac Ops rifle years ago.

There is also a component as to the type of rifle being built. If you want a tactical rifle look at builders who specialize in this type of rifle. If you're looking for a bench rest rifle then seek out those smiths. There are smiths that don't necessarily specialize in any platform but have solid reputations for doing good work at whatever they are asked to do.

If you are time constrained then you might consider a smith that can get the job done within your time constraints but might not be at the top of your list. The same can be said for your monetary limits at the time. Many times there are smiths that can build guns that will shoot better than we can but because they may not have name recognition they'd be by passed but doesn't mean they couldn't build a good gun.

Good luck making that next choice.

I've had work done by the following:

LRI. Chad did a repair/rebuild to an old Shilen DGA action. (Reputation)

Steve Kostanich. Full blueprint and build for a Benchrest rifle. (Reputation)Referral)

Spearfish Gunsmithing, Matt Strickland. Rebarrel Rem 700 to 6 BR. (Proximity)

Deep South Tactical. Fit and chamber new barrel, pin recoil lug.
    (Price)

GCP Rifles. Thread muzzle. (Referral)Reputation)

Archer Custom Rifles. Pre-Fit and chamber barrel. (Referral from Kauger Arms when I bought their action)

All of the above smiths have a solid reputation. The last thing I would do is to let any fly by night hack touch my rifles. There are way too many horror stories out there from people who choose someone solely on being local to them.

Two of the smiths did the job while I waited.
    Two did the work in under 30 days.
    One did the job in two days.
    One took almost a year to complete the work.

All of them did a stellar job because that's just how they do business. I chose wisely to prevent nightmares that I've read so much about.

I wouldn't hesitate to use any of them again.