• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle carry in a tripod

andybrock

Private
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2011
Hi All,
Hope I’ve posted this in the right section!
I’ve recently started using a tripod for hunting, how do you guys carry your tripod when the rifles clipped into the ball head? I mean if you have to move 100 yards or so without unclipping the rifle. Do you just fold the legs and carry it over your shoulder?
Thanks

Yes, works well that way for field hunting hogs at night. I wouldn’t want to try it in brush or while climbing a mountain. For hogs I keep my rifle as light as possible and have traveled quite far pursuing them.

Reactions: andybrock
Assuming it’s open field and you have a decent grip (ideally a pistol grip) you can grip the rifle strong side and tuck the butt between your side and inner upper arm and grab the closest leg with your other hand and just pick up and point the rifle up and tripod out and move like that without having to fold the legs in or collapse them. Much easier than folding legs in, at worst the one you grab will fold and you’ll have the pull it back out some. If it’s not open field, detach and fold the tripod up. If it’s really thick leave the tripod at the truck.

I keep the tripod extended and grab under the arca mount. Legs are out in front about 2' off the ground and the muzzle is up to the sky and somewhat rest the gun on my shoulder.