• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Case Plan

elmer05

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2019
Is anyone using Pelican case foam in a soft rifle case? I bought an Armageddon Gear 5010 soft rifle case, and have ordered a Pelican iM3300 Storm Long Case. I was thinking that I would put the 5010 inside the Pelican case for transporting my rifle (e.g., via air), then using only the 5010 once I get where I’m going. To ensure my rifle, scope, and other gear is best protected during transport (and all the time really), I’m now thinking about trimming the foam that comes with the Pelican case to use it in the 5010. I will probably need to leave out one of the 1.75” foam layers, but I think it will still work well. Anyone have any experience doing this? Are you happy with it? Do you have any pictures?
Thanks!
EMN

If traveling I would just use the hard case and be done with it

A buddy of mine has a pelican with no foam. And uses his drag bag inside of it. And he has been happy with that. Personally I think it just added weight. And my cut foam was nicer. IMHO. However Im also in the market for a soft case/drag bag for just basic range trips and such. So I think both is nice. But I would keep them separated.

Agreed with the above, if traveling by air, 110% pelican w/FOAM. If it is just you and friends driving, I'd personally be ok with just a soft case (assuming it is sitting inside the car with you, reasonably supported). If it is sitting in a truck's bed exposed, I'd put it back in pelican w/foam.

I plan on doing the same just for versatility. A hard case is a pain when not needed, like quick trips to the range, or heading out hunting close by, but is nice for longer travel. I figure if I get a nice soft case that holds my gear, and throw that in my nanuk hard case when I’m doing any real traveling

Definitely stick with the pelican case. No need to get your expensive optics beat up for no reason... when using a soft case I would suggest also using one of the scope/crown protector combos as well. Just my $0.02

Thanks for the replies! I will keep my Pelican and 5010 separate, and decide which one to use based on the circumstances.

Reactions: RS14