• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle case recommendations

old-is-good

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2007
Tennessee
I've been researching soft sided rifle cases for over a month and there are a bewildering number of them on the market. I don't really like the bulk of a hard case so here's what I'm looking for:

1. Would be nice to carry my Remington 700 AND my AR15 carbine together but not absolutely necessary.
2. Made in the USA and top notch quality.
3. Plenty of pockets/pouches for other gear.
4. Must have straps to hold the rifle securely.
5. Heavy duty seams and padding to handle years of wear and abuse.

I've considered the "drag bag" approach but that's really overkill for hauling my rifles to the range and back although I'll reconsider it if necessary.
I'm looking for some insights and suggestions from folks that have a case they really like.

Re: Rifle case recommendations

Nick at Grand River Tactical can probably make you a custom case, his work is top notch and priced well considering what you get.

A custom case (like one from Nick at GRT) is probably the best way to go given what you want to do.

The problem (as you may have already found) is finding a case that will acommodate the length of the bolt gun. Voodoo Tactical and others make some 2-rifle soft cases, with tie-downs, like what you are talking about, but have a max length of only around 46" which may or may not be long enough to fit your bolt gun depending on how it is setup.

I appreciate the replies but I'm not so sure that I need a custom rig to carry 2 rifles to the range.

To make this a little easier, let's say that I want to carry just my 700 in a heavy duty durable case ? I've looked at the offerings from Tactical Tailor and Eagle and they look good but still haven't found the case to make me say, "That's it !"

What are some other vendors I could check out that offer similar quality ?

I guess you would call what I'm looking for a "drag bag lite" for lack of a better description.

I looked at guitar stores ( like in Memphis)and found a used heavily made cordura/ padded/ water resistant guitar case with dual shoulder straps, pocket on the outside cost $25. Then had it reinforced by a parachute rigger by stitching, better hardware and padding shoulder straps etc for my AIAW.

Might not appeal to you but it does not draw a lot of attention and I can walk down main street day or night. Can’t bring myself to put “Dixie Chicks Sticker” on it but “Support Live Music” one works.

I have a couple tactical cases from 511 for my AR's. Well padded and the velcro straps work well and can be moved around. Also has attachment points outside as well as inside the pocket for more pouches. I'd certainly buy them again - I have 2 of the 36" size, but check out this link for what you may be looking for - http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Bags-Backpacks/42-Double-Rifle-Case.html

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Bags-Backpacks/42-Gun-Case-Shotgun.html

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Bags-Backpacks/36-Gun-Case-AR15-M4.html

They may not be the cheapest, but are well made.

The gunslinger bag is a little over the top for what I'd be using it for although that Eberlestock drag bag is very very nice.
The double rifle case from 5.11 also has my interest.
Thanks for the ideas and information. More food for thought for me to chew on.

It all comes down to how much protection. If you are in the field, go dragbag. If you are traveling in a car or on a long trip, hard case. When I go to training facilities I take both, Hard to travel, soft when I am there.

I love my 5.11 42" case...but my bolt gun has a 2.0 AICS chassis w/26"bbl so it's only 40"long folded. This is one TOUGH case with lots of MOLLE attachments and a large side compartment. Best soft case on the market for under $100.

I have the 5.11 42" double rifle case. Make sure you read the description if 42" isn't long enough as it's just over 44" inside! I'm not sure it's MADE in America but it's a super nice case and I really like that it doesn't only have two velcro straps attached at specific spots. It has 4 for each side and custom positionable (like that word?) to your preference. Great Case!

Has anyone had any experience with the Eagle DB-BS ? Kind of a drag bag/rifle case/shooting mat all in one.
The closest thing I've found to what I described as a "drag bag lite".
A couple of things that I like about it are decent price, straps to keep the rifle secure, several pockets for accesories and looks well made.
I also like the fact that when not is use it can be rolled up and put away. That's the big disadvantage I have with a hard case.

I finally decided to go with the Eagle 46" scoped rifle case. I think it will serve me well. It should hold a wide range of rifles and looks to be well made without being too bulky. I'll post an update after I receive it and have had a chance to use it.

<span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"> I have this. It's worked well for me for about 4 years.

Bob</span>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Pat M</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just ordered one of Midway's after seeing my buddy's (i like soft cases as the hard cases just fit in the rig / and tear stuff up) (if i was flying or throwing in the truck bed a lot i would go hardcase)

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?pr...wayusabrandpage

</div></div>

Check out what Mike has at CSMgear.com. If he doesnt have what you want, he might be able to modify something. I have his Discreet M4 carrier, and love it. I've taken a fair amount of his stuff to Afghanistan and Iraq, and it is top quality. Never let me down. Mike is a former operator, and knows what works.

I'm the newest of the newbies on the forum, so forgive my intrusion. Does anyone have an opinion on the Ruffin Flag Co. drag bag? They seem to be well made, but I have no practical field experience. I took the leap the other day and bought several of their bags. They have a minimum order policy to protect their dealers.

No idea where the Private First class thing came from.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LAS</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> No idea where the Private First class thing came from. </div></div>
From this:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LAS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm the newest of the newbies on the forum...</div></div>
Based on post count.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unsichtbar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I looked at guitar stores ( like in Memphis)and found a used heavily made cordura/ padded/ water resistant guitar case with dual shoulder straps, pocket on the outside cost $25. Then had it reinforced by a parachute rigger by stitching, better hardware and padding shoulder straps etc for my AIAW.

Might not appeal to you but it does not draw a lot of attention and I can walk down main street day or night. Can’t bring myself to put “Dixie Chicks Sticker” on it but “Support Live Music” one works. </div></div>

I like that! My pelican case has a few guitar and band stickers on it. With them I like to think less people know what's really in there.