• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle case / shooting mat

DoorKicker

Private
Minuteman
Mar 26, 2022
Lebanon, TN
Looking at a case/mat combo to help reduce my gear load on range days. Anyone have any experience with this?

I like the idea of having the pouches organized to the right and left of my rifle while prone. Seems all my stuff winds up scattered in this general area, anyway.

If not this case/mat, I'm open to suggestions for others

If you like Chinese junk, go for it.

If you want something to last and made in the US:

Reactions: camocorvette
If you like Chinese junk, go for it.

If you want something to last and made in the US:

No, sir, I'm not one to rush out and buy "Chinese junk". That's why I've posed the question here. I've searched the interwebs and have come up dry, aside from the one I indicated above. Nothing on the sites you referenced fit my bill of a case/mat combo. Thanks for your suggestion.

First off…The Eagle Industries HSRC was the one true drag bag/shooting mat. There’s a clone of it out there, but that was the real gem. #RIP

Problem is that the whole drag bag/rifle case mat thing is great when used for a singular purpose, but never both at the same time. You still have to pull everything out and scatter it about, otherwise you’re just laying on top of it.

Whereas if you just minimize your range gear and bring only the essentials (which you’re definitely doing if you’re fitting it all in a drag bag), then you might as well just go with the below and be more organized, efficient, and comfortable:

-scope & crown cover*
-TB Gear Pollock Shooting Mat (which is super light and rolls up to about the size of a Nalgene bottle & can easily clip onto a range backpack)**
-Small backpack for ammo, mags, rear bag, kestrel, hard data, field tool kit, and sour patch kids.

*Eberlestock, Eagle, Triad, Blackhawk…all will get the job done well and keep your shit from getting messed up when a range fudd knocks it over while you’re downrange.

**There’s only one acceptable shooting mat on the market, and that’s the TAB Gear Pollock shooting mat with D-rings. All other mats are sins against the LR gods (the old and the new) and should not be used. #NotSponsoredJustThatDamnGreat
If you want pouches at your 11 and 1, you can have velcro added and then just slap on whatever pouches you want for the range that day. That’s what I did. I have a brass bag to my 1 and a range card to my 11. I can pull em off for whatever and the great thing with the range card is that is doesn’t go blowing around when the wind picks up.

No, sir, I'm not one to rush out and buy "Chinese junk". That's why I've posed the question here. I've searched the interwebs and have come up dry, aside from the one I indicated above. Nothing on the sites you referenced fit my bill of a case/mat combo. Thanks for your suggestion.
Combos are dumb and pointless. Everything out there sucks at both. Buy a shooting matt and a nice bag.

Midway makes a decent cheap matt, as do about 50 other places. Buy a quality rifle case that will last without blowing out the seams and sending your $10K gun flying down a gravel path. I seent it.

Measure how long your gun is and make sure it'll fit into the bag without effort.

A super cheap $12 yoga mat will work as a shooting mat IMO.

Reactions: DoorKicker
Check out the First Spear R37 Rifle Wrap. Easily add a couple MOLLE pouches to the inside corners (I have a suppressor pouch and leatherman attached to mine). Backpack for the rest of the gear (ammo, kestrel, data book, eyes, ears, fix-it-sticks). I also have the removable shoulder straps for it.

T

GA Precision had a shooting bag that was priced well. It doesn't have much storage space at all, but it opens up to make a great shooting mat.

don't know if they still have them, but I like mine a lot.

Check out the First Spear R37 Rifle Wrap. Easily add a couple MOLLE pouches to the inside corners (I have a suppressor pouch and leatherman attached to mine). Backpack for the rest of the gear (ammo, kestrel, data book, eyes, ears, fix-it-sticks). I also have the removable shoulder straps for it.

T
Holy crap!! $400 for a yard of Cordura with some webbing sewn to it?! I believe I could buy the materials at a local sewing store and hire some sweet ole' lady I meet in the checkout line to sew it for me for less than 1/4th that 😂

• Haha
Reactions: M8541Reaper
Holy crap!! $400 for a yard of Cordura with some webbing sewn to it?! I believe I could buy the materials at a local sewing store and hire some sweet ole' lady I meet in the checkout line to sew it for me for less than 1/4th that 😂
Great. I'll take 2.

They were less expensive when I got mine 3 years ago and it still looks brand new. Granted, I don't use it as a shooting mat but it is what I use to transport my AI and AR-15's (not at the same time) to the range. It's always the first bag I grab to throw a rifle in when a rifle leaves the house.

T

Looking at a case/mat combo to help reduce my gear load on range days. Anyone have any experience with this?

I like the idea of having the pouches organized to the right and left of my rifle while prone. Seems all my stuff winds up scattered in this general area, anyway.

I have the explorer tactical bag. Im not going to say its the best but it does have detachable divider that doubles as a mat. Its one piece of material folded in half. I paid about 130 for it a long time ago on an impulse. I would say its not a bad choice if you cant find anything else but theres probably better quality out there

Both you soy bois who suggested using a yoga mat for a shooting mat surrender your Man Card to Lowlight immediately.
HAHA!

I've owned 4 dedicated mats over the years, currently have 2. Thick and padded is great for napping on rough terrain, only useful carrying to and from a square range. Big and bulky. Comfy though.

Other one is a thin, lightweight waterproof layer with zero padding. That is the one I bring when anticipating muddy conditions or cow pies.

Overall for a square range off dirt or concrete, a yoga mat rocks on a budget.

OP wanted to reduce his load for his gear.

I vote backpack (ammo, small gear) + yoga mat + rifle in a cheap soft case.

Backpack on his back, rifle in one hand, BRIGHT PINK yoga mat in the other.

KRG's is made in the US

I have some not-so-skilled sewing skills and made some pouches for mine. I will edit in some pics.

20210820_190524.jpg

Last edited:
KRG's is made in the US

I have some not-so-skilled sewing skills and made some pouches for mine. I will edit in some pics.

View attachment 7847171
I have and use the KRG. My issue with it is the muzzle side can’t accommodate a suppressor (or bipod on a long forend/spigot). The Precision Underground Dragmat seems better in this regard, but at 3x the price.

Other than that, I have no complaints. It holds my rifle, I lay on it. Simple and handy.

Galati Gear makes this type of trifold too. I can't attest to it's quality since I don't own one. I've had the Eagle Industries version for a decade and it's still going strong. I like it and it works quite well for my purposes. The trick is organizing your kit to nest neatly with the rifle. Once this is accomplished, it makes for a nice flat, compact package that fits neatly behind seats, hangs on walls and slips into safes easily. There's not a lot of foam to act as insulation, so watch out for condensation if storing where there are temperature swings. I suggest keeping a small broom handy if you are going to use it in soft dirt. It really sucks folding dirt caked nylon together with expensive optics, electronics, rifle and handloads.

20211215_153015.jpg

Buy 3.
One that's a sweet rifle drag bag/shooting mat.
One that's a soft or hard rifle case.
One that's a roll/fold shooting mat.

Use the first one and be happy that it's the tits. You can drag it through a swamp and have a clean mat to shoot on. Do or don't put a cleaning rod in the storage spot, the handle pokes you. If you actually use it your rifle it will get covered in all the shit around you. Dust, leaves, twigs. Everything. But it's the tits..

If you buy a good one it will last and you will still have it and use it years later.

But a lightweight mat or tarp and a rifle case. When used separately are much better.

I love my eagle drag bag, the Tac Ops look titties too. It's just cleaner to separate them. Less maintenance on your precision rifle. Less grit in the action and dust on the scope.

Some issues I'm seeing ten years after getting my drag bag is my rifle is too long with a different muzzle brake. Otherwise it's solid. With a folding stock it would fit easily. It is nice to just lug one heavy item and drop it. click click click click unzip and roll it out.

So depending on your needs. Get what you need. I just used my drag bag today actually hahaha.

The bag you linked is chinese garbage. It might last, I'd recommend you not buy that. Support US companies.

Last edited:
This is nice and has a mat that is good enough for short periods of time or as a backup. I agree with just getting a good mat. This bag is just badass and holds two guns. Just saw the new price. Yikes. I paid $150 or so used in the PX.

I have a bag similar to this, it wasn't NC Star (forgot the name) but it was probably the same thing.

It's been bloody brilliant, had it for about 5 years or so and used it a tonne and it's held up just fine.
It's not really the greatest gun bag as it's way bigger than it needs to be but as a shooting mat it's great.
Folds out flat, is a good size and has enough padding to be comfortable on any surface.