• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle cases which one??

skeetlee

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2008
Central Illinois
I am looking for a nice rifle case for my AICS bolt rifles. I have thought about a storm case but i would like to know whats out there in a nice sturdy soft case. Tactical type!! Thanks Lee

Re: Rifle cases which one??

Several makers are out there for the soft type you are wanting but with a rifle like yours I would go with a Storm or a Pelican case. The soft cases could possibly be cut open with something or by something and the storm or pelican cases are built like bank vaults.

I have used them all. To be fair, I am not super rough on my gear. I tend to take care of things.

that said, the Storm is the best case for standard use. I think the big 3 are all sufficiently tough, but the Storm has a superior design. They are all I buy now. Love the latches.

I have thought a lot about a storm case. The one thing i dont know about is cutting the foam for the rifle. I am not real sure i trust myself to do this. Any advise on that subject?? Thanks Lee

IMHO, Pelican is the way to go. Mine goes in and out of a vehicle several times a week. It's also thrown into airplanes, vans, and other means of transportation on a regular basis. So far, it's been 8 years and it's never done me wrong.

Cutting the foam is a piece of cake. Use an electric carving knife or fillet knife. Set your stick on the foam, trace it with a sharpie, and get to cuttin'! If you want a little more support, cut the foam at a "slight" angle.

Hope this helps.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have thought a lot about a storm case. The one thing i dont know about is cutting the foam for the rifle. I am not real sure i trust myself to do this. Any advise on that subject?? Thanks Lee </div></div>

The easiest way I have found is to buy a $30 electric fillet knife at Wal Mart. Trace whatever you want to cut and go to town. Works amazingly well. EASY.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hauptjager</div><div class="ubbcode-body">IMHO, Pelican is the way to go. Mine goes in and out of a vehicle several times a week. It's also thrown into airplanes, vans, and other means of transportation on a regular basis. So far, it's been 8 years and it's never done me wrong.

Cutting the foam is a piece of cake. Use an electric carving knife or fillet knife. Set your stick on the foam, trace it with a sharpie, and get to cuttin'! If you want a little more support, cut the foam at a "slight" angle.

Hope this helps. </div></div>

My Pelican case had held up fine, but no better than my Storms. IMO the Storm latches are VASTLY better than the Pelicans. I prefer the Pelican over the Starlight, but the Storm over them both.

The storm pelican debate seems 50-50. Where is the best place to buy either one of these cases? Is there a hide member selling them? Thanks Lee

If the rifle is going to be in my trunk or in my control it's in a drag bag. My rifle isn't a safe queen. If it gets some rub marks from the bag, I really don't care. There is nothing on it that will be damaged by a short drop to pavement in a padded softcase and there is too much other crap that needs to go in my trunk to worry about a hard case.

If it's going to be out of my control in checked baggage it rides in a Pelican. Watching the DFW baggage monkeys sling my Pelican across the tarmac made me happy that I went with a case I have some experience with.

Either storm or pelican are great choices, in fact I think pelican has bought storm.

As for best price, a few weeks ago there was a guy in texas selling pelican 1750's on ebay for $150 with foam delivered. If you watched the auctions you could pick them up in the 125-130 range delivered, got two that way. Cheaper than one 1750 locally after tax here.

I personally prefer soft bags for local use. The ones that fold out into a mat work well for a lot of what I do. The new eberlestock one looks interesting, but pretty pricey.

On the (somewhat) budget end of things, the 50" 5.11 model is on closeout for $65 at various vendors. It's not the toughest built soft case I've ever bought, but so far I have a fairly favorable impression of it.

The one thing i dont know about is cutting the foam for the rifle. I am not real sure i trust myself to do this. [/quote]

When I cut the foam for my pelican & storm cases I laid the rifle on it in the position I wanted and traced around the rifle with a sharpie, staying as close as I could. I then removed that layer of foam from the case and cut the outline out with a sharp blade knife life a fillet knife. I did the same thing for any accessoried I wanted to put in the case with the rifle.

I used to cut mine with a regular knife and it works okay. But using an electric fillet knife it is EASY to get exceptional results in much less time. If you are going to cut even one case, and like excellent results, the $30 is well spent.

I have both pelican and storm They offer the same amount of protection IMO, difference is ergonomics I like the handles on storm better. I only use them when I travel other than that I use a dragbag or the safe at home but it spends 90% of its life in a dragbag when it's not being shot.

How about the SKB guys? They offer $1500.00 of coverage if it gets damage while flying.

A feature that helps make Storm stand out from the crowd is their soft cases that are made to be put into the hard case with the foam removed. It's a little pricey, but offers a very good multipurpose case........... That being said, I have a Starlight case that can withstand a small nuclear strike! And, it weighs enough to make transporting it a royal PITA! But, it does what it was designed for...........

If I was buying new again, it would be the Storm case w/foam & with the soft carry-case fitted to the case....

I am easy going on equipment but don't trust other folks. I have a 38" Starlight for my SR15 Match and a Pelican 1720 for my other AR. I just bought a Storm i3300 from the sales section here on the Hide for my 700P so will have all three. From what I have handled and owned you can't go wrong with any of the 3 makers.

My only complaint is I wish Starlight made a case that filled the gap 38" and 50".

As for the soft-bag question. Take a look around. I went with the Eagle Industries Sniper Bag / Matt (DB-BS) as a general purpose carrier for going to the range or where ever local. I can put any of my current rifles in it and it doubles as a nice matt to lay out.

My SKB has bounced down the road behind my truck (left tailgate down) at 40 MPH, Sickest sound you ever heard. Skidded down the road and went in the ditch, 1 rifle and 2 XP-100's totally perfect. And all it really did is scratch the bottom of the case a little bit. I'll buy another one If I need one.

Storm definitely

I'm rough on everything I'm around, especially if I own it. I won't consider anything else for a hard case.

I have a Pelican, Storm, and a Starlight. In my opinion based on personal experience it would be the Pelican,Hardig Storm and Starlight in that order.

Just goes to show though, ask 5 guys and you will get 8 opinions. You probably would not go wrong with a Pelican, Storm or a Starlight. Personal preference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am looking for a nice rifle case for my AICS bolt rifles. I have thought about a storm case but i would like to know whats out there in a nice sturdy soft case. Tactical type!! Thanks Lee </div></div>

For a soft case, I use TAB from Tony on the Hide. I was skeptical to drop the coin but worth every single cent. Goes on quickly, easy to carry with several handles, place stick on shooting mat, 4 buckles and its off quickly, and so far bouncing around in the back of my Exploder has protected my stick for a year. I will however, when I get a new one add more padding and think about spare mag pouch on the side.

First couple of trips to the range with Pelican was a complete hassle. Have not used it since I got the TAB.

What Storm or Pelican case are you guys using for an AIAW w/ 26" barrel? Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: corbon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What Storm or Pelican case are you guys using for an AIAW w/ 26" barrel? Thanks. </div></div>

iM3300

Both Pelican and storm are nice. I would buy storm because of their excellent customer service. I some how cracked a 3300 transporting my rifle in the bed of my truck. I gave the folks at storm a call and they had a new one shipped to me within a week. Great customer service.

Ive got a SKB case that I use and it works fine. If I were to buy another it would be a Storm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bozochu</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I some how cracked a 3300 transporting my rifle in the bed of my truck.</div></div>

How do you think you managed that?

I am planning on picking one up soon for my Savage MkII. I like the extra pouches to store whatever I need for the day at the range.

MS-128-OD.jpg

CTD has them for cheaper.

I have a couple 5.11 soft cases for transport to the range and stuff. I have been very pleased with them
Rob

I've used both and broken them both, several times. Each company replaced the cases without question. Now that they are one company it probably does not matter but:

The density of the Pelican case is higher, it is HEAVIER than the Storm. If you put them side by side you can really feel the difference. Just keep this in mind if you are flying commercial and understand you will hit the weight restriction a lot faster with a pelican case.

The other thing I don't see the guys mentioning is the slight size difference b/t the Pelican 1750 vs. Storm 3300. The Pelican case is longer while the Storm case is wider. Not by much but it can mean the difference if you are trying to load a long rifle in the case.

I like the High density foam in my Storm better than the Foam in the Pelican I have. The Pelican has started to crumble. I'm sure Pelican will replace it I've just not called about it.