• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle cleaning supply list

Kirk111

Private
Minuteman
Sep 1, 2013
Austin, TX
Okay, I have my rifle and scope ordered. Tikka Sporter 24" bbl .308 with Bushnell 3.5-21 G2 ERS

I've done a bit of research on what to get for cleaning supplies and the information is a bit all over the place and I can't really find any consensus. Could you guys help me out with a list of the necessary supplies I'll need to clean the rifle? I know I'll need a Dewey type cleaning rod, bore guide, patches, etc. But I'm sure I'm missing quite a few things and could use help with specific brand names for the cleaning fluids, etc. Thanks for your help!

Also, per my research I'm planning to clean the rifle before shooting and then not worry about the "break-in" procedure as most seem to recommend. Could anyone briefly elaborate on what initial cleaning they'd recommend before shooting it and roughly what cleaning should be done after that and at what interval?

I tried to get a Lucas bore guide per recommendations, but I can't seem to get a response via email. Should I just get a Dewey one? Or just a bore snake?

Thanks,

Chris

dewey coated rods are fine.

you will get a lot of responses here about the "right" way to clean. wade thru it all. most work fine, you just gotta pick a good one.

one suggestion - cleaning is both the best and worst thing you can do to your barrel. if the rifle is shooting accurately, a lot of people just leave it be so it keeps shooting accurately the next time they pick it up. i clean once every 500 rounds whether it needs it or not.