• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle cleaning

Jdaniel343

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2011
Casper,WY 82601
I am new to tactical shooting and am wondering if people clean their rifles during a match between stages.
I dont like the thought of not cleaning when firing 50 or so rounds during the day.

I dought anyone is cleaning at 50 rounds or less with a modern tactical rifle. Could probably go 200 before seeing any decrease in accuracy. Black powder is another story.

OFG

one of the guys that shoots in our local matches has put over 1000 rounds through his AI 260 without cleaning.

still shooting great, at least he kicks my ass everytime ;)

if its a custom gun youll probably get away without cleaning it for a longer time than a factory tube

I don't clean (strip the copper fouling) my rifle until I see the accuracy drop off.... I do however run a bore snake with a little CLP down the bore to protect it from oxidation (storage).

I clean them the same way each and every time... 3-4 bore swipes and a light coat of oil on the bolt lugs... done.

No issues to date, no premature wear and no reason to believe otherwise.

I learned these methods during my active duty days (sniper school and scout section).

Last edited: