• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Rifle Cradle/Gun Vise

mjh30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2008
Edmonds Washington
Looking to buy a rifle cradle/gun vise for cleaning, scope mounting, bedding etc. Looking at the MTM Portable Rifle-Shotgun Gun Maintenance Center ($45) the basic Tipton gun vise ($45) or the Tipton best gun vise ($100). These are just a few I saw out there, unfortunately I don't have the room to build my own right now. I was wondering folks opinion on these or another alternative, thanks for any and all responses.

Re: Rifle Cradle/Gun Vise

I have mave some in the past out of 2x6 scrap lumber . And you can make them to fit your rifle . Cost maybe $5. to $10.

Howard

Both of the Tiptons are very good. The MTM is garbage.

DO NOT DROP THE TIPTONS!! THEY SHATTER ON IMPACT!!

The best is really the BEST. It is extremely versatile and holds the rifle straight, while the regular tends to cant the rifle.

I know you don't want to hear it, but, I have to agree with HPitts on the making of your own. You'll get what you want, I'm sure it'll last, and be cheaper in the long run.

And prouder for it!
wink.gif

Totally agree that making my own would be the best alternative but since I am living in an apartment right now my space is limited, will order a Tipton, looks like it will work best for me.

I got a Tipton best gun vise, and I did not know what I was missing until I bought it. Makes cleaning a snap. I used to use one of those portable MCM type systems and plano ones. I always strugges with it being a sturdy base, angling the rifle the way I want, etc.

I have a cleaning cradle I made for use at benchrest matches. But for any kind of precision work I have an OLD Tipton rifle vise that I "C" clamp to my work bench. I have used it a lot and it's always been good to me.

I have using this Hyscore for a few years now. I think it's actually designed to shoot from but I only use it for mounting scopes, cleaning etc. and it works well. Welded steel construction and every thing on it is padded and adjustable. The middle and muzzle section slide to adjust for different length firearms. It has 4 rubber feet that grab and hold well on my cleaning bench that is carpeted. Here are a few pics.

IMG_9961.jpg

IMG_9962.jpg

IMG_9964.jpg

I also own the hy skor, Its not as heavy as it looks but is still well built and holds your rifle well.