• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Destruction Testing

TomS308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2008
This is from a Swedish website. 8 different brands of rifles fired with a bullet lodged in the barrel, just ahead of the chamber. The Remington 700 and Browning didn`t to to well. All barrels appear to be light weight sporter.. Does this test speak of the quality of steel used ?

http://www.testfakta.se/Article.aspx?a=16350

Re: Rifle Destruction Testing

This is a rather standard thing to see. (Double bullets) I have also seen 98 Mausers fired with issue cleaning rods sitting on top of bullets and most launched.
I knew a guy that turned down a 30.06 reamer to fit a 6.5 Jap barrel and shot a 30.06 in it. Barrel jumped forward one thread but everything held together.
A good bolt gun action will hold about 150,000 lbs. Cases melt at about 115,000 pounds. Barrels normally let go first.

That was informative, and entertaining, as long as you are not the one pulling trigger.

Were all the barrel thickness's to bore all the same?

Were the contours the same?

Were the barrels torqued to the same pressure in the vice?

Here's a friend of a friend's blown up Sako:

image003.png

image004.png

image005.png

this may be a stupid post, an extreme guess, and i will expect to get cut in half, but could it also mean that the rifling in the 700 doesn't allow the gases to pass as easily causing more pressure and a more catastophic failure? just a silly theory...but any creedence to it?

Ratwhiskers, I assume you are meaning the Mausers I saw? They were all military trim and this test was conducted at Springfield Armory, Mass in the 50s/60s. There was a big display board of them at Camp Perry for us to look at.

bsp212 do you have a picture of the case? It appears the bolt is intact and locked in. I suspect he had a case head failure and the gases went in the big extractor slot.

This can happen from bad case forming or from a case that went through the production line upside down and the head got softened instead of the neck shoulder prior to loading. If the bolt has not been opened I suspect you will see the head of the case went into plastic deformation and started to flow.

As indicated cases will fail about 115,000 pounds but a case that got the head softened in stress relieving will fail at standard working pressures.

This is why I like using once fired cases as they have all been tested. Also why I like gov't ammo since the stress relieving blue tint is still visible.

IF ANYONE EVER SEES A GOV'T ROUND UNFIRED WHERE THE CASE HEAD IS BLUE TINT AND THE NECK/SHOULDER IS NOT, DON'T SHOOT IT ! ! ! !

Also not a good idea to fish out brass from a burn barrel at a range.

Was the shooter injured?

I have heard of some case failures in rifles that left too much case head exposed on firing and the web area blows out.

Hummer,

I don't have any pictures of the case head and to my knowledge, it is still stuck in the chamber.

I'm not sure what exactly caused the failure, but I can tell you he was using reloads and had "made a minor adjustment to COAL and stepped up the powder charge". The data he sent me on the load was 4 grains higher than the powder manufacturer's max. I suspect this was just an overpressure issue related to the load and seating the bullet into the lands.

I really only posted it as an example of how a sako blows up since i think the destruction testing may have been a little biased.

Also, the shooter was not injured other than some bruising - he's pretty fortunate the firing pin didn't find a new home in his brain.

Hummer.

No l wasn't refering to any Mausers, only the clips in the original films above. People seem to asume that because a particular rifle fails a test it's due to it being crap for some reason, i was merely asking and at the same time pointing out that there are a number of variables not taken into consideration in the test show.

JR.

You get no better...... :)

Well, I did not see any of the actions fail: just the barrels. Also, the barrels were not all the same contour, so that is not an apples to apples comparison. So, are we just comparing factory barrels? Is that relevant to any of us?