• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle dilemma

Andy T

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2007
Northeast
I used to own a 700PSS in .308, but sold because the longest range I have access to is 300 yards, with little wind, and it didn't make much sense for that round.
My only precision rifle at the moment is RRA Varmint A4 with Leupold MK4 4.5-14. It has proven reliable and I shot it out to 500 yards with great results.
I want to take a long range class next year with distances up to 1000 yards. I wonder if my current rifle will be enough to go the distance.
Is it even worth investing time/money in another .308 or .338 Lapua rifle even though I could only take it to full potential once a year or so, while for the majority of time my RRA does perfectly well.

Re: Rifle dilemma

Andy your first mistake was selling your PSS! Most precision long range classes won't let you bring an A-4. If you intend to go to Rifles Only you will need that PSS back!!! Or something the likes of!!

What load are you shooting in the A4?

Stiggy just did a PR class out to 800 yards with a 16" 9-twist and his handloads. He scored very well amoung the group, too. But it wasn't very windy.

I've done PR classes with an 8-twist .223 to 1000, but I was single-loading 80JLK's.

If you want to shoot 1000 yards that rifle won't do it in a way that will help you learn anything.

An accurate 308 is always a good thing to have in your stable. Unless it's a must have factor, don't need the 338 LM for your classes, unless you are doing the extreme long range class. Love my 308.

I just shoot 75gr Prvi match ammo since I have no reloading equipment.
Are there any schools that allow you the use of their rifles?
I have a feeling I may have to start looking for one again. It's just that I don't see much point of shooting it at 300 yards with no wind so it would be a "once in a while" rifle.

I would suggest if you don't want to drop the coin $800-$1000 for a new 700P take a look at a Remington SPS Tactical .308 or Varmint for $550-$600. This is the same barrel action as the 700P but with much cheaper stocks. If you feel later that you would like to upgrade your SPS, well that's been done many of times.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Andy T</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's just that I don't see much point of shooting it at 300 yards with no wind so it would be a "once in a while" rifle.</div></div>The point of shooting it up to 300 yards is to master the fundamentals. I shoot my .308 between 100 and 500 meters most of the time. Shooting it at under 100 yards is valuable, too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Andy T</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's just that I don't see much point of shooting it at 300 yards with no wind so it would be a "once in a while" rifle.</div></div>The point of shooting it up to 300 yards is to master the fundamentals. I shoot my .308 between 100 and 500 meters most of the time. Shooting it at under 100 yards is valuable, too.
</div></div>
I completely agree with the need to practice fundamentals. What I meant is that a .223 is perfectly good round to practice the fundamentals with at 300 yards, less expensive and less recoil. The only value of .308 for me is for the long range.

The .308 is basically a 700 to 800 yd rifle except for some specialized long (27" to 30") barreled guns with 155 gr. Palma ammunition, as most standard ammunition goes sub-sonic between 800 to 900 yds. A good .30-06 (anyone remember this caliber) or .300 WM or WSM is an excellent long range rifle out past 1000 yds.
A .338 Lapua is definately over-kill, both in terms of recoil and operating expense, for target shooting out to 1000 yds or so.
Most of the long range (1000 yd.) matches at Camp Perry are contested with cartridges like the 6.5x.284, 30-338 and .300 WM.