• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle finally put together!

Hink

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 2, 2006
Amarillo Texas
Well, after a time investment of just over 9 months, I've got my rifle put together. This is my first attempt at assembling an accurate rifle, but by gleaning some of knowledge on this site I think I just might have done well.

It started with a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 that immediately was paired with a USO ST-10 with 1/2 MOA EREK and 1/4 MOA windage and a GAP reticle. Glen Seekins' 30mm low rings and a 20 MOA base connect the two. The stock is McRee's Precision Hunter model with the full wrap cheekpiece and front rail and is currently supported by a Harris 6-9" smooth leg bipod.

Prior to changing the stock from the factory Hogue overmold to the McRee's, I had a difficult time holding a consistent POA due to the low stock comb as well as the flex of the plastic stock. I took this combination out last week and was able to come within 1" of my intended target at 100 yards, in addition to hitting two of Lowlight's dots on the grouping target. (Sorry LL, I know you're against groups. Noob's gotta start somewhere.)

I now defer to your expert opinion on component selection and recommendations for further upgrades.

Picture005-1.jpg

Re: Rifle finally put together!

You have built a fine rifle with quality components.. Go shoot it and enjoy it...

Looks real good..

Very nice rifle and great optic!

That's BAD ASS! My Mcree stock should arrive on Tuesday, still looking for the perfect USO.

I really like your rig!! LOL, not just the chassis, I love USO too. I'll let you know when the custom skid plate, cheek rest cover and range bags are done. Oh yea, more pics please, and Thanks again for using us in your build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hink</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, after a time investment of just over 9 months, I've got my rifle put together. This is my first attempt at assembling an accurate rifle, but by gleaning some of knowledge on this site I think I just might have done well.

It started with a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 that immediately was paired with a USO ST-10 with 1/2 MOA EREK and 1/4 MOA windage and a GAP reticle. Glen Seekins' 30mm low rings and a 20 MOA base connect the two. The stock is McRee's Precision Hunter model with the full wrap cheekpiece and front rail and is currently supported by a Harris 6-9" smooth leg bipod.

Prior to changing the stock from the factory Hogue overmold to the McRee's, I had a difficult time holding a consistent POA due to the low stock comb as well as the flex of the plastic stock. I took this combination out last week and was able to come within 1" of my intended target at 100 yards, in addition to hitting two of Lowlight's dots on the grouping target. (Sorry LL, I know you're against groups. Noob's gotta start somewhere.)

I now defer to your expert opinion on component selection and recommendations for further upgrades.

Picture005-1.jpg
</div></div>

the only thing left to do if it doesnt shoot well enough for you is to have the action squared and a custom barrel. i bet it will shoot just fine though!! nice i really like my mcree as well. lee

1000yards+, put me on the info list for anything new you're coming out with. I just may pick up some more of what you're putting together.

I haven't put that many rounds downrange with this setup, and with a newborn in the house range time is not at the top of the priority list, but accuracy with this setup far exceeds any other rifle I've had the good fortune of pulling the trigger on.

As far as finish goes, black works well enough for me for now. Not a lot of camo is necessary when shooting paper.

Are you getting ready to mount a UNS or PVS-22 on that with the rail up front? Did that forward rail come with the McRee?

I bought the stock as it's dressed from another member on this site. The front rail came included in the deal, and since it's both light and strong, and provides a bit of protection to the barrel at this point, I figured it couldn't hurt to leave it on there for now.

I wasn't able to find any information about the front rail on McRee's site (http://www.mcreesprecision.net/index.htm), but I'm sure that if you contact 1000yards+ he can help you out. He built this stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: U2AV8R</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you getting ready to mount a UNS or PVS-22 on that with the rail up front? Did that forward rail come with the McRee? </div></div>

Buzzin thru and found the thread,,,

The chassis is a component system, you can pretty much order to spec, your config. Most people do mount a UNS, some use it for barrel protector.

hink, will do, lots of nice new goodies about to be ready. Glad you like the rig. BTW, send me a range report, please, when you have data ready.

Thanks