• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle for 1200 to 2000 yards

RossinFL

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2004
FL
I've seen just about every thread on here where some is asking a similar question to what I am. However, I am hoping that this thread will give me a little bit of info/direction that the others haven't. I've got a few 308 and 6.5 creedmoor rifles that I have taken the 308 and 6.5 out to 1200 yards with success. However, the range I am at goes to 2000 yards (JTAC Ranch) and I find myself wanting something that is well suited to go from 1200 to 2000 yards and do it efficiently, be the right tool for the job, and also show impacts downrange. It seems like the suggestions for this are always the 300 prc, 300 norma, and 338 lapua. Lately I've been thinking of getting a Rpr in 300 prc or 338 lapua. Are there any other factory guns in that $1500 to $2000 ish range I should consider? Are there any factory guns in that price range which are chambered in 300 Norma? I have thought about going the semi custom route which I think would start at around the $2000 mark. I've also thought about waiting a bit, saving up, and getting an older ai ax in 338 lapua, shoot it for a while in that and then rebarel it to 300 Norma. I know this would be more expensive but not sure how much more. I only make it out to do JTAC maybe 5 times a year so am hesitant to put $3000+ into this but I am still figuring this out so who knows. (My home range goes up to 600 yards.) I do reload and have a 4-29x56 Cronus to put atop the gun. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Reactions: Marcus C
Yep, I’m not sure what factory rifle choice would be available, but I think .300NM is the way to go if you reload. If you don’t reload, things get expensive for magnums that fit your needs.

Meh. Right tool for the job? No energy on target required? Just want to touch the steel? .300 NM is cool but 6.5 PRC will do it. So will .284 WIN. Get a .284 barrel to screw on to one of your short actions for those few times a year when you head to the long range. Single feed it and enjoy reasonably cheap 2000 yard accuracy for the cost of a barrel and barrel vise.

Reactions: camotoe
Just go do a custom build from a quality smith forget the rpr or the ai and go full blown custom and do a 338 lapua and no the 300 norma will not match the lapua no way no how. if the lapua is optomized. Most people that own 338 lapuas are not optomized there running 28 to 30" barrels you need a 32" + barrel to optamize a lapua

Ross,
When you're shooting at the mile, are you shooting the two large fixed plates or at the IPSC in the middle?

Seeing impacts on the large plates is difficult unless they have a fresh paint job.
The IPSC will move really well when hit with a 6.5 Manbun/140.

At the 2k Line you're lucky to spot an impact without a camera unless it's "winter" weather. The mirage is terrible after about 9:30.

The biggest challenge spotting misses is the weed growth on the sand part of the berms.

Myself and a few others have asked Ben and Eric numerous times to have the weeds removed. They are still there. It's going to take more people griping for it to happen.

Anyway, the Manbun will do the job at the mile on the IPSC, but it's spotty on the giant plates.

In really good conditions, @atepointer will attack the 2k with his Manbun.

Anything from 7 Rem mag/SAUM, 300 Win or PRC will do the job to the 2k berm. Just stick with the 180+ in the 7 and preferably a 230 or heavier on the 30s.

Save up a bit more and buy an AI or build your own. Personally, I’m partial to the idea of a switch-barrel rifle and the flexibility it gives.

Reactions: culater
Buy once cry once. I learned this long ago. I thought about doing 2 customs, 6.5CM and .338 LM. I ended up getting the AI-AXMC and never looked back. You should also look at the DTA plenty of smith's making barrel for those also. Yes it is work saving for.

7 SAUM is what you seek. When I had mine it was amazing. Shooting 197gr pills. Shot the 183gr Sierra's for less than 1500yds. Had to get rid of it though due to my neck. After my spinal surgery I'm very sensitive to recoil sadly. So now I shoot a 22BR out to 1200yds.

Easy to load for in my opinion. Had PVA barrel turned by my smith here. In an MPA chassis.

Amazing gun and groups.

Doc

Hello all. I've been away from the net for a couple days so pardon the late reply. I've read through everyone's input and very much appreciate all the advice.

Several people have asked how much power do I want on target. I would like enough power to be able to clearly see hits on steel in good conditions with a spotting scope (razor 20x60). I realize the 6.5 can be pushed further than 1200 but I'm looking for a caliber that is well suited to shooting that distance and will do it reliably (as long as everything else is dialed in).

If I go the custom route I might be able to pickup some things over the next several months and leading up to Black Friday. Catching the sales would help. I am going to think about this some more and will probably post other questions to this thread.

Thanks all. I am.new to these distances so the comments and info really help.

Ross,
When you're shooting at the mile, are you shooting the two large fixed plates or at the IPSC in the middle?

Seeing impacts on the large plates is difficult unless they have a fresh paint job.
The IPSC will move really well when hit with a 6.5 Manbun/140.

At the 2k Line you're lucky to spot an impact without a camera unless it's "winter" weather. The mirage is terrible after about 9:30.

The biggest challenge spotting misses is the weed growth on the sand part of the berms.

Myself and a few others have asked Ben and Eric numerous times to have the weeds removed. They are still there. It's going to take more people griping for it to happen.

Anyway, the Manbun will do the job at the mile on the IPSC, but it's spotty on the giant plates.

In really good conditions, @atepointer will attack the 2k with his Manbun.

Anything from 7 Rem mag/SAUM, 300 Win or PRC will do the job to the 2k berm. Just stick with the 180+ in the 7 and preferably a 230 or heavier on the 30s.
To be honest, I've never shot a mile. While I have been to JTAC a few times, I've always kept it 1200 or closer.

It sounds like you are a JTAC person too. If so, do they ever paint the steel during the say? I've heard they will do it once before start of the day and that is it. If so that's a real bummer. I can see the weed thing being an issue too.

I am hoping to be able to build a gun within the next 3 or so months, to then shoot the gun over the cooler months, when the mirage isn't as bad.

The steel doesn't get painted enough, that's for sure. It'll go weeks some times between painting. ☹️

The small swingers at 800 are really nice, but a hit is easy. Knowing where you hit is more important for sure.

It depends how big is your target and typical wind condition. At 2000 yards/ 20mph crosswind 20” square is more ideal with 300 prc or 300nm.

2,000 - IMHO requires something more than either .338LM or 300NM. You would probably want a .338 Lapua improved - at least.

Below is my real-world dope for my .338LM using book-max load (N570, 300gr Scenar) in a 27" Sako TRG42 (400ft elevation). Even with that stout load, it's transonic at a mile. I don't actually know how well the 300gr scenar does through the transonic, but I can tell you the 150 scenar sucks (it's great up to that range though!). You have another 240 yards to wobble off target, which is plenty.

For 2,000 yards, I'd want a .375CT, 416barrett, or if you hate yourself, your shoulder, and your wallet and want your fellow shooters to hate you, too, then 50bmg.

IMG_938F9744D0F4-1.jpeg

Guys, i want to thank everyone for their info. I hate to say it but I've put my plans for an ELR gun on hold due to hearing a rumor that my 2000 yard range is going to or has changed ownership and may close. This is just a rumor and I don't want to create a false impression that it is fact but if it does close then my distance will be limited to 600 yards..... hence no ELR gun in my future.

Guys, i want to thank everyone for their info. I hate to say it but I've put my plans for an ELR gun on hold due to hearing a rumor that my 2000 yard range is going to or has changed ownership and may close. This is just a rumor and I don't want to create a false impression that it is fact but if it does close then my distance will be limited to 600 yards..... hence no ELR gun in my future.

That's a bummer.

But I feel you. I have a .300NM that I built before moving from TX to AZ, and it essentially collecta dust here. Super nice rifle built exactly the way I want it, but don't have any place to use it to its capabilities. Just taking up space in the gun room right now.

Hopefully your range stays open.

That's a bummer.

But I feel you. I have a .300NM that I built before moving from TX to AZ, and it essentially collecta dust here. Super nice rifle built exactly the way I want it, but don't have any place to use it to its capabilities. Just taking up space in the gun room right now.

Hopefully your range stays open.
Thank you very much. I hope it isn't true and it may not be. If it is, I will probably put together a 6mm variant instead.