• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle for a Newbie?

sniper848

Private
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2009
North Carolina
First post here.
I am looking to get into long range target shooting and need some advice on a rifle. I do not have a scope or anything, so anything on that would be great too. I am new to all of this long range stuff and this forum seems like the place to get answers. I have been looking on the internet at many different rifles trying to find the best one for a beginner, I have been looking at the GA precision guns, Sako TRG Series and some Cheytac rifles. I have no idea what would be a good beginner rifle, especially since I am left handed.
Any advice would be great!
Jake

Re: Rifle for a Newbie?

none of those would be good beginner rifles, go with something like a Remington 5R milspec, Remington SPS tactical or varmint, Savage rifles, Or pick up a good used shooter here in teh Firearms for Sale section

First off being a lefty has nothing to do with anything unless you want a LH rifle. Second buy what every you can afford and like to shoot. If your budget is 7k then spend it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So you're not really a sniper? </div></div>

LOL!

Good advice above. A good Remington or a Savage would be a good place to start. It may not sound very appealing to a "newbie", but take your time and study all the aspects before you buy anything. and stick with common components(scope, rifle, loads ect.) is alot easier to troubleshoot/dope a weapon that has been done a million times before you tried it, than it is is to figure out a super-custom-wildcat that raises eyebrows. What kind of budget are you working with?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nuttshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First off being a lefty has nothing to do with anything unless you want a LH rifle. Second buy what every you can afford and like to shoot. If your budget is 7k then spend it. </div></div>
Well I find it difficult to shoot a right handed rifle left handed, so yes I do want a left handed rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: queequeg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So you're not really a sniper? </div></div>

LMAO.

You can get a Remy 700 LTR in left hand action in 308 caliber. This you can get for about 800-900 if you look hard enough. The remaining budget can go to a decent scope like a Leupy Mk IV and ammo. All of those rifles that you mentioned in the original post are not cheap. If you have deep pocket then go for it. Otherwise, sticking to something out of the box accuracy like a Remy, Savage is good enough assumning that you are not a "skilled marksman" already.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniper848</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I would like to keep it under $1800 scope and all, but if I need to spend the extra cash for a significant upgrade I will.
What do you guys think of the Thompson Center Icon Precision Hunter?
http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/icon_precision_hunter.php </div></div>

Doesn't look bad, I like the warlord better, for obvious reasons. But I dont have much experience with TC, so couldn't say for sure.

Im the new guy here but what about something similar to what I am doing

Howa 1500 in .308 600.00 or less
McMillan or Manners 500.00 or so
SS Scope 10x42 500.00 or so
Harris Bipod 60.00 or so
Have it bedded priceless

That should be plenty I think and you can customize it somewhat to what you want. Howa has all of the popular calibers as well so take a look.

Before you start running around wild looking up "cool" shit, git your self a good ol' cheap Savage and get setup for RELOADING! What you NEED is to become more familiar with long range shooting. You'll get a chance to spend a lot of money on your equipment, but first you need to know what's what.

You start in a go cart not a F1 car.

What kind of groups can I expect from a stock Remington SPS?
And I know this is a highly debatable subject, but what caliber would be best for me to start with?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniper848</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of groups can I expect from a stock Remington SPS?
And I know this is a highly debatable subject, but what caliber would be best for me to start with? </div></div>

+1 for remington, +1 for the LTR, and +1 for whoever said the super sniper scope. I am fairly new at the long range bolt gun thing and my starter gun is a .308 LTR with a super sniper scope. I love it and I am learning a lot.

Whoever said get set up with reloading is also giving great advice. I have been reloading rounds and it save a lot of money and gets you familiarized with how to get the best accuracy possible out of the rifle.

So to answer the question above...go with .308.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniper848</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of groups can I expect from a stock Remington SPS?
And I know this is a highly debatable subject, but what caliber would be best for me to start with? </div></div>

Also you do not really need to worry about the group size of a factory SPS. It will probably be a couple of years and a couple thousand rounds down range before that becomes the limiting factor in your shooting.

My stock LTR still has capability left that I cannot utilize. When I am utilizing it I will upgrade to a GAP, but not before then.

As far as reloading goes, I have no idea how to do that or what I would need. And how does reloading improve accuracy?

you are able to pick your projectile and able to tailor the round to the gun, lets say you get a box of FGMM and i do the same, we may have the same gun but the FGMM shoots good in your gun and shitty in mine. Well i can make my own load and push it a little faster with the bullet seated out a little further and get better results from reloads than factory stuff. Factory stuff is made to shoot in any 308 per say, my reloads may only work well in my gun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniper848</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As far as reloading goes, I have no idea how to do that or what I would need. And how does reloading improve accuracy? </div></div>

You can work your loads up and see what gives the highest velocity/best groupings for your particular rifle.

For example, when I am trying a new powder I create several different loads. My favorite powder so far is win 748 because I have dillon reloader and the powder meters extremely well through it. I will make 5 rounds with 40 grains of powder, 5 rounds with 40.5 grains, 5 rounds with 41 grains, and so on until I reach the safety point for the powder. I shoot each of the five rounds and record the group size and chronograph the speed of the rounds.

You can repeat this experiment with each variable, such as bullet size, cartridge overall length, etc. When you buy your really fancy gun you will be a leg up if you already have this skill.

Not to mention I can reload a box of 20 rounds for around $7.50 that is very comparable (if not better) to some of the top shelf factory rounds that can cost $30-$40 a box.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you are able to pick your projectile and able to tailor the round to the gun, lets say you get a box of FGMM and i do the same, we may have the same gun but the FGMM shoots good in your gun and shitty in mine. Well i can make my own load and push it a little faster with the bullet seated out a little further and get better results from reloads than factory stuff. Factory stuff is made to shoot in any 308 per say, my reloads may only work well in my gun. </div></div>

What he said, lol!
laugh.gif

I know this is not what you guys are suggesting I do.But what about if I go ahead and get a really good rifle so that later down the line I won't have to worry about upgrading my rifle, but instead focus on my technique? I was thinking of maybe getting a Sako TRG 22 .308, I have always liked the looks of this rifle and it looks like I will be able to shoot it left handed. I know it is expensive, but if it as is good as some of the reviews I have read it is worth it right? It will take me a little while to save up that much money, but I think I will be shooting it for a very long time.

It's your money.

There was a lot of good advice given. It's up to you to decide what to do with it.

My suggestion would be to take the money you would spend on the Sako and buy a LTR. Install a Falcon 4-14x44FFP with mRad adjustments, then take what you have left over and pay for a class at one of the top level rifle schools.

A skilled shooter with a Savage will run rings around a newbie with a TRG. What's more, when you are talking about "tactical" shooting from unsteady positions and field conditions it tends to even the equipment out a bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LoneWolfUSMC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's your money.

There was a lot of good advice given. It's up to you to decide what to do with it.

My suggestion would be to take the money you would spend on the Sako and buy a LTR. Install a Falcon 4-14x44FFP with mRad adjustments, then take what you have left over and pay for a class at one of the top level rifle schools.

A skilled shooter with a Savage will run rings around a newbie with a TRG. What's more, when you are talking about "tactical" shooting from unsteady positions and field conditions it tends to even the equipment out a bit. </div></div>

+7 or maybe 8

Remmy LTR will get you going, buy the best glass you can afford - Night Force, Leupold. Read and train. LOTS of good information on this site - the majority of members here have real life experience in the field - learn from them.

I shot a plain jane winchester coyote lite, for six years. The rifle cost me 650, and I put a SS 10X42. I reloaded all my ammo, and shot the hell out of that rifle. Believe me it shot better than I could.

Just recently I got the action trued, new Bartlein, new scope, and a Manners T4, and Williams metal. It took ME that long to figure out how, and what I wanted with my rifle, without breaking the bank.

Moral of the story is....go out and buy a plain stock rifle, a Tikka or any of the before mentioned should do. Shoot it alot, roll your own ammo, get a decent scope, and have fun.

Okay guys I will take your advice, after all you guys know what you're talking about.
So what about this kit
Remington Model 700 SPS Varmint .308
Nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50
HBRS Harris Bipod 6" to 9"
This seems like a pretty damn good kit to me, what do you think?
http://nightforceoptics.com/SCOPES_OVERVIEW/3_5-15x50___3_5-15x56_/3_5-15x50___3_5-15x56_.html
http://www.harrisbipods.com/HBRS.html
http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_SPS_varmint.asp

Also a very good option

http://www.remington.com/products/firear...ct_tactical.asp

700_xcr_compacttac_410.jpg

Model 700™ XCR™ Features
Black TriNyte® PVD coating
OD Green stock
Hinged floorplate magazine, Dual front swivel studs and rear stud
<span style="font-weight: bold">Barrel is free-floating with LTR-style fluting</span>
<span style="font-weight: bold">40-X externally adjustable trigger</span>
Tactical-style 1 in 12" twist (308 caliber)
20" barrel

Im gonna look at picking one of these in .223 for a nice little build. This or another Howa

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniper848</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nuttshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First off being a lefty has nothing to do with anything unless you want a LH rifle. Second buy what every you can afford and like to shoot. If your budget is 7k then spend it. </div></div>
Well I find it difficult to shoot a right handed rifle left handed, so yes I do want a left handed rifle. </div></div>
You'll learn some tricks at some point. Don't sell the right handed rifles short for you. Pick up a decent 700 (thinking P or 5R) and get something like the SS 10x for it. Could be pretty good for the first rifle.
.223 is a very nice first rifle, low recoil, fairly cheap for rounds. 308 although a fairly tame rifle is still a good kick for a first timer. You'll use the 223 for a long time even after you get something else.
Hope this helps a small bit.
Chad

Its good to see the group really helping a new guy out instead of bashing him.

howdy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniper848</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I would like to keep it under $1800 scope and all, but if I need to spend the extra cash for a significant upgrade I will.
What do you guys think of the Thompson Center Icon Precision Hunter?
http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/icon_precision_hunter.php </div></div>

I repeat only If they throw in a CounterSniper.

No one's bashing him because he was honost and he's listening, and he didn't take offense to anyone's advice.

To the OP, if you want the looks of the Sako, you can always change the stock. Take a look at Mcmillian. Just make sure the action is on the left

Personally I'd say just learn to shoot the thing and get the most out of the factory stuff before getting anything new since you're more likely to get the most out of the new stuff too. But you were honost and said you like the looks of the Sako, so there ya go.

And I didn't see anyone else post this, so...Welcome to the Hide!

-V-

Hey guys just one question, what do you think of the Tikka T3 Varmint .308? I have been looking around some more and really like the looks of this rifle. Plus I have heard good things about Tikka. So what do you think?

Tikka is good---just keep in mind that 2/3 is the operator and 1/3 is the equipment. It's your choice, but it would be better to buy a mid-grade rifle and spend most of the $$$ on good glass and a lot of practice (ammo) than to buy a fancyass rifle and to cheap out on the scope and skimp on the ammo. No use having a super nice rifle if you can't afford to shoot it enough to get good with it (which is a lot).

Best of luck to you.
~SP

Get what you like and can afford don't slide on your glass. I'd spend more on my glass than my rifle. Get a heavy barrel verison of whatever. If it is a good out-of-box rifle! I just got into long range shooting about a year and a half ago and the LTR for 900 and a Zeiss 3X12 X 56mm used for 600. I did already have the reloading stuff. It shot great out to 1000y but I had to build a load. I'd look at the Rem. SPS target get something with a 24 or 26" barrel if you don't reload the 168gr match ammo is easier to come by and will get you to 1000 yards with the longer barrel.

Just set yourself up with a good proven weapon and glass. Find the ammo type it likes. Then buy alot of it and shot it. I found out a long time ago, a repeatable weapon and enough time behind it and you'll be out shooting the guys with the 7000$ set-ups with your 2000$ set-up. Plus you'll learn more.

Also .308 win would be the best choose in caliber. It's been proven and everyone can help you with that you if you run into troble.

Get out and find some of the matches close to you and go and watch. See the equipment, how they use it, you may even find someone who'll let you run there rifle. Most everyone I've meet in the shooting community in my area are great people, and we'll help you out.

I would go with a Remington 700 in .308, preferably the tactical model. Simple, but very nice IMO. Glass...don't go crazy on your first rifle. Get something that won't financially cripple you, like a Burris or Leupold. Later on, you can always upgrade.

I would probably go with a Tikka varmint in .308 and pop a Vortex Viper on it. I think the Viper's offer some of the best glass for the money. If you want a scope better than the Viper for under $900 Look into the Sightron SIII's. The tikkas I feel have one of the smoothest factory actions out there and the trigger is freakin awesome and you can adjust it your self. What is your budget? I personally would split my budget 50/50 half on glass half on the rifle. for "tactical" style shooting, I think most decent factory rifles will be more than adequate. I've found you get more out of better glass than a better rifle. The rifle is only as good as the guy behind it and I think you'll get alot more out of good glass off the bat than a really nice factory rifle. just my .02

+1 for the above post!! Tikka IMO have the best out of box accuracy. They have an easy to adjust trigger and not a bad stock for factory tuperware. With some good glass and lots of practice you will be shootin in no time. I have a stock .243 that shoots in the high .2's to low .3's all day long with hand loads. Just my .02

Thanks guys, the Tikka is looking like a good choice for me. I'm planning on installing a Nightforce 3.5-15x50 NXS on whatever gun I get. I have a scope that I can put on the gun to give me a little more time to save up for the Nightforce. I think it will be worth the investment. The scope that I'll put on the Tikka now is a cheap scope, but it has a full mil and half mil line reticle. It also has target turrets so it should be able to do some long-ish range stuff. Thanks for all the help and I look forward to learning this long range stuff.

Hi sniper848,
All of the guns recommended to you are pretty good ones. If you are new to long rang shooting, and You want a rifle that is guaranteed to shoot extremely well out of the box, I would go with a Weatherby Sub Moa (look up reviews) for the price. You can find most on gun broker for $700 new in box, and they are extremely smooth rifles. I've owned 2 Weatherbys, and I have never had a problem with either. The sub moa rifles are marked as so on the floorplate. Also, if you've never shot a 30 caliber before, You might want to practice with something smaller first. The worst thing you can do is start off too big, it causes some shooters to flinch because of anticipated recoil, or noise. Once You have developed a flinch, it is really hard to get rid of. So I suggest starting off small, and working your way up the line. Whatever you decide, I wish You the best of luck. Just my 2 cents