• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

rifle for deer hunting in indiana

customgun1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2011
arkansas
I think I have talked myself into buying a browning abolt chambered in 25 wssm, in Indiana your shell casing must be 1.8 in or less, I am wanting something that I can reach out to 400 yrds and still have a punch with out super bad drop, the 25 wssm at 400 yrds with a 115grain ballistic tip has slightly over 1300 fps and about 1150 fpe...and drops about 2 ft....I think this will work, thoughts?

Re: rifle for deer hunting in indiana

I'd lean towards the 243wssm if it were my choice, better ballistic coefficients.

In this state a rifle cartridge case must be no longer than 1.8" AND A MINIMUM OF 35 CALIBER!!

There are a few wildcats that are based on the WSSM and shortened WSM cases. 358 Grant, 358BFG,etc.

Look an Aj Brown for a 358 Hoosier. This is what you are looking for.

There's also the 358 dexter with is built on the ar10 platform

well I thought it just had to be 243 or bigger...which is for handgun, rifle is 35...I just bought a 25wssm, looks like I will be rebarreling this action...

Wow, there sure are some silly hunting regs across this country. So, if I'm reading you correctly, you're telling me that rifles chambered in .308 Win or .243 aren't even acceptable for hunting back there?

I mean, I guess I should have figured. I grew up in Ohio, where your deer rifle is a shotgun, if that makes any sense. But, given the millions of mindless morons who pack the woods during the 1-week deer gun season back there, it's probably a good thing that many of them don't have firearms with a longer reach (not that a slug at 100 yards is going to leave anyone happy, either). I swear I may have been shot at more in my youth hunting days back there than I have been in my professional career.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Coloradocop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, there sure are some silly hunting regs across this country. So, if I'm reading you correctly, you're telling me that rifles chambered in .308 Win or .243 aren't even acceptable for hunting back there?</div></div>

Nope.

Stupid law that only exists today due to ignorance and the strength of the small but VERY vocal bowhunting mafia who don't want more hunters chasing THEIR deer.

450 Bushmaster was legal for the first time in 2012 and is increasing in popularity.

It is fucking stupid for sure, but as a whole the state is quite gun friendly.