• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle identification

rdinak

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2003
Birmingham, AL
I was hoping to enlist your help in getting some more information about a rifle.
My coworker recently inherited a 1903 springfield. It was his great-grandfathers, who used it in military service. He is not looking to sell it, simply gain information about its history and other facts about the firearm.
Only have a photograph and a brief description of it from him. Hopefully you can tell me a little bit more about it.
Here is the description he gave me "My grandpa bought a surplus rifle (unused). I was thinking Enfield but it was a 1903 Springfield. He sporterized it by taking off some of the hardware and trimming the forward part of the stock."
IMG_0675.jpg

Re: Rifle identification

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Simo Hayha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was hoping to enlist your help in getting some more information about a rifle.
My coworker recently inherited a 1903 springfield. It was his great-grandfathers, who used it in military service. He is not looking to sell it, simply gain information about its history and other facts about the firearm.
Only have a photograph and a brief description of it from him. Hopefully you can tell me a little bit more about it.
Here is the description he gave me "My grandpa bought a surplus rifle (unused). I was thinking Enfield but it was a 1903 Springfield. He sporterized it by taking off some of the hardware and trimming the forward part of the stock."</div></div>

Not sure that it matters what it WAS as it is NOW just another hacked-up 1903 that deserved better than it got. (Sorry..."sporterizing" these rifles really sticks in my gut everytime I see one. No offense to you or your friend intended). Also, which story is correct? Did his great-grandfather use it in military service or did his grandfather buy it surplus/unissued/unused?

As to the rifle itself, there is not a whole lot of info that can be gleaned from that photo (aside from the fact that it is a sporterized 1903). Do you have a photo up close of the receiver? Any info on the serial # or an approximate range of the serial? Any other visible markings that remain anywhere on the metal or the stock? That information might get him a ballpark on the rifle's origins, but beyond that...what information was he hoping to find out?

I understand your sentiments, believe me. I hate seeing the old war horses chopped and mutilated. But, in defense of the original owner, when this rifle was bought, there were literally millions of them in standard issue format. Now that the numbers are dwindling, it seems like a shame to see one like this, but back then, it probably seemed like a cheap way to get a custom rifle. How time alters perspective!

HRF

I am hoping to get a bit more information about the rifle itself. It is my understanding that a certain range of serial numbers have questionable metallurgy due to a lack of heat-treatment. Given that he nor I are very familiar with this make/model I thought it would be nice to learn a bit about it so I could share it with him.

I did get some more information about the firearm as well. Apparently he did not use it in combat, and that it was a surplus that he purchased. Here is a titbit from him about the rifle
"sporterized the rifle most likely in the 1958-1960 range when I became shooting age. It was a surplus rifle and never used. "

Serial number on the barrel under the scope mount is #3698807

Hopefully this helps in gaining some information about the rifle

Your rifle is way beyond those produced in the "questionable heat-treatment" years. I don't remember the exact serial number range of the affected rifles, but they were produced in the late 1910's or early 1920's. Your serial number indicates mid to late WWII production. My personal 03 has a serial number of 3333XXX, and it has a barrel date of 12/42. Assuming your rifle has no other defects, it should be safe to fire with any ammo that does not exceed mil-spec pressures. If you are not sure whether it is safe or not, have it checked by a competent gunsmith. It should be a fine shooter, but it's difficult for a lot of us to see it stripped of its martial raiment.

HRF

The change was at 800,000 for Springfields.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Serial number on the barrel under the scope mount is #3698807</div></div>

Your's is well out of that range. The Serial Number you post lies between 3608000 - 3707999. Those numbers were assgned to Smith-Corona.

Based on your serial number it looks like your rifle was made late in 1942.

Awesome help here on the 'Hide for members. Neat that you actually have a firearm such as this from a relative - most people on here (or even in general) are not that fortunate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The change was at 800,000 for Springfields.

Your's is well out of that range. The Serial Number you post lies between 3608000 - 3707999. Those numbers were assgned to Smith-Corona.

Based on your serial number it looks like your rifle was made late in 1942.
</div></div>

^^ Yep...what the man said! ^^

If you happen to get any additional information, pics, etc., there may be more that can be determined about your friend's rifle, but the info that kraigWY provided is more or less the rifle's basic pedigree.

And finally...with some work, parts scrounging/replacement, etc., that rifle can be un-bubba'fied if your friend so desires to return it to its original glory.

looks like other than a few holes from the scope mount it could be put back into near original or perhaps an A4 clone..

I have one that was "sporterized" and am planning to bring it back but with the Lyman 48s sights it may be a "ranch rifle" conversion that was popular back then which is little more than an as issued a3 with the Lymans and a recoil pad..

Hatchers Notebook or http://www.vishooter.net/m1903.html might help a bit.
looks like 7/43 for your rifle according to vishooter list.
Tell me the serial number is partially obscured by the scope base. removal should reveal Smith Corona

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: retarded squirrel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">03, closer photo of the receiver would help </div></div>
No... Definitely an 03A3. If you look at the rear receiver bridge you can see the extra metal on the top where the rear sight would have dove-tailed on. The rear sight on an 03 is in front of the receiver and the rear bridge does not have that place for a sight on the rear bridge. The base that is on this rifle is dove-tailed on in the rear after removal of the original rear sight.
Also, the bottom metal is obviously the 03A3 stamped type. Granted, you could use either type. But generally the stamped type is replaced with the machined type. Not vice-versa.

Yes, definitely a 1903A3, you can tell by the photo. The scope base is covering the markings. Definitely worth taking a look at though, how many grooves in the barrel, early Smith Corona's had a 6 groove barrel $$$. Yours was made in April of 43 (if it's a Smith Corona) May of 43 if it's a Remington. If I'm not mistaken, serial number ranges were not divided between the two manufacturers since there would be no conflict,,, since they were different manufacturers. It's hard to tell by the photo, but it has the later large bow trigger guard and the bolt sleeve is Remington. Good news (possibly) I'd need a closer look, but your scope base and rings may be worth more than the rest of the rifle. If the base is WW2 production Redfield or Lyman (unmarked) it's worth about $250.00. If the scope is a 7/8 tube, the last set of those rings I saw sale about 6 months ago for $385.00 (like I say,, if they are 7/8). Closer pics would be great,,,, hard to say when it was built, there are some of these being sporterized as we speak.

As I was, June of 43 if it was Smith Corona.
What make is that scope? Looks like one inch,,, anyhow post some pics, closeups of the action and scope mountings.