• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Rifle in pack or not

Rhys

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 28, 2008
Mesa, AZ
I've generally just used a small day pack for my stuff, but my last one finally bit the big one. There is some additional gear I would like to be able to pack, and will have to go up to a larger pack. At this point I am narrowed down to a Gunslinger II, Phantom, or Low Draw from Eberlestock; or picking up an Xray or Express from Kifaru. In either case I'll probably pick up a couple additional pouches to keep things segregated. I would prefer to have a modular setup so things can be added or removed as needed.

I have had 2 Eberlestock packs previously. A G4 Operator, I really liked how compartmentalized this one was, but needed to go to something that would allow me to pack out animals when hunting. I also had Skycrane. My word was that overkill. I could put a load like no other on it, but it just more room than I could normally use. Once again my needs have changed. I'm looking more along the lines of a pack that will carry a couple days worth of necessities as I spend more time exploring out of the way places where phone coverage more often than not doesn't exist.

The biggest question I keep looking at is if having the rilfe rifle in the pack is really that much of a benefit.

What is your preference and why.

Re: Rifle in pack or not

I like having the ability to put my rifle in the pack because my rifle is heavy as shit! I carry a 30/30 lever gun and put my match gun in the pack. Then I use the heavy gun in areas where I can sit and glass and potentially get a shot at distance. I use the lever gun with open sights when I am walking through thick brush and could potentially have an upclose encounter with game. That's how I use my pack, I have the Eberlestock Dragonfly. Good luck!

DSCF2020-Copy.jpg

it works but heck, that is a lot of hassel carrying two with supporting ammo. Better to go with a lighter style hunting rifle w/ scope using a suitable caliber that fits the role. You don't need a heavy barrel long range rifle for most normal hunting shots if you plan on hiking and scouting all day and shooting once.

When just scouting and not hunting I'll take the 44 mag lever action just in case I run into a lion or want to plink or SHTF and I need to have means to survive with some logical means of acquiring food. When I'm hunting, the truck has a spare rifle and ammo, but I only take one hunting style rifle when actually hunting game. Gosh, what you have there is probably 15 lbs extra weight and you are going to shoot once. Makes more sense to be lighter, faster, fresher for the shot, and quieter doing what your are doing IMHO.

Best of luck.

My opinion is if you're hiking for sport and want to keep your hands free, will be carrying a second rifle, and/or want keep the rifle out of sight to keep from scaring any tree huggers you might come across the scabbard is a great feature. Other than that it just adds a lot of bulk and weight to the pack.

For actually getting from point A to point B comfortably, rifle in the pack is *the* way to go.

I have the GSII, and my partner has the LoDrag. I prefer the compartmentalization (word?) of mine, but honestly, for my match use, the GSII holds too much, and ends up saggy/loose if not filled.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Luke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My opinion is if you're hiking for sport and want to keep your hands free, will be carrying a second rifle, and/or want keep the rifle out of sight to keep from scaring any tree huggers you might come across the scabbard is a great feature. Other than that it just adds a lot of bulk and weight to the pack. </div></div>

Fuck the tree huggers...IMHO!!!
smile.gif

I used the eberlestock x1 on a back country hunt this last season. The rifle in the scabbard worked really well, combined with hydration pack and the rest of the features it was really nice. When the rifle is stowed it makes climbing much easier. it is tricky stowing a long rifle with the pack on your back. It's also good size to shoot from. The gunslinger caught my eye, but I opted for more storage. I lashed down 2 whitetail hind quarters and back straps on one trip out... It worked but an internal frame would have helped. Very well made and ergonomic in my opinion.
My two cents.
Pat

The bigger the pack the more kit and weight you will carry. For me, I learned to fit kit inside my pack, not buy a pack to fit my kit. I am a firm believer in light is right, lighter is righter.

I like to carry my rifle/shot gun in my hands in bear country, mostly flat or rolling terrain for as quick access as can be, hung on my pack in the alpine where I don't need it on a quick response threat on the open steep and a ski pole in my hand for support. 454Cas on my chest fun or hunt.

Carrying a rifle on your back will burn less energy by not having to use your hands and arms to carry it, unless in coastal brush where it will hang up on every branch, alders, ect then having it my hand burns less energy, its a little but in my experience, every little thing can have a major effect over the whole trip.