• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Opinions?

rascaldog

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2008
London Ky.
I am putting together a hunting rifle. First a little background, I live in the mountains of Eastern Ky. Gun will be used for deer, maybe wild pigs, shots probsbly limited to 225-250 yards max. I will carry the gun on an ATV most of the time. I am using a Savage 10 in 308. I am having the barrel cut back to 16.5". Now for the opinions part, I am going to use a low power scope, probably something in the 1x4x30 range. Considering a Millet DMS. The gun has sights and I am having the front remounted. I want to use some type of QD mount system. I have looked at Warne and Leupold mounts, but what do you guys think of a QD mount like used on an AR15. I like the looks and function but I havent used these in the past. Any ideas, maybe something I haven't thought about. Thanks.

Re: Rifle Opinions?

why

i have seen and been around hunters on 4-wheelers....all they ever come back with is a sore ass and an empty gas tank

I am not able to walk very far anymore. Had spinal fusion 5 years ago. Still like to get in the woods. Maybe I was misunderstood. I only use the ATV to get to the general area. Then I park it and cover it up.

Assuming you are talking about one of the one piece mounts the only negative I can see is you may run in to cheek weld problems. You are going to need a 1913 rail for the mount….it could get a little tall for your rifle stock.
Just my 2 cents

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rascaldog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not able to walk very far anymore. Had spinal fusion 5 years ago. Still like to get in the woods. Maybe I was misunderstood. I only use the ATV to get to the general area. Then I park it and cover it up. </div></div>

Just keep pluggin away my friend.....sometimes that is the best we can do.

David

Should be a great rifle for your application.
The Millet DMS scope is fairly heavy, and longish as I remember; then there is the reticle, more for fast reaction, but might be just what you want.

The Pentax lightseeker 0-4x and Leupold 1-4x are very good scopes to consider and very light. The Nikon Monarch 1.5-4 w/turkey reticle is excellent also and has a reticle that is visible when covered by front BC flip-up.

Agree with the opinion on not going with a 1pc AR mount. Get some Weaver bases and Warne QD Maxima rings med or low if you want QD. Not like you will need much else. For the money, the Millett is probably the best deal if you want a lit reticle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swamper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Should be a great rifle for your application.
The Millet DMS scope is fairly heavy, and longish as I remember; then there is the reticle, more for fast reaction, but might be just what you want.

The Pentax lightseeker 0-4x and Leupold 1-4x are very good scopes to consider and very light. The Nikon Monarch 1.5-4 w/turkey reticle is excellent also and has a reticle that is visible when covered by front BC flip-up.

Agree with the opinion on not going with a 1pc AR mount. Get some Weaver bases and Warne QD Maxima rings med or low if you want QD. Not like you will need much else. For the money, the Millett is probably the best deal if you want a lit reticle. </div></div>

Ordered the Millett today, brand new for a little over 200.00. I am going to try it on the 308. If I don't like it for that application I'll just use it on my AR and get a 2x7 Burris or Leupold (these were my second choices).

I will probably go with the Warne QD mounts. Also have looked at the Burris Zee rings(any thoughts on these). Considering using an EGW base instead of Weaver style bases. Thought this would give me a little more options as to scope placement. Thanks for the input.

EGW scope base is a good budget one, i have the extended on one of my rifles and it def gives more room to mount further back for better eye relief

Re: Rifle Opinions? Update

Got my rifle back from the gunsmith today. It is only a little over 37" long overall. He was unable to remount the front sight, which is OK. Put on the Millett DMS, used Weaver bases and a set of Warne rings I already had. Seems to be what I was looking for. I am anxious to try it out. Hope to get some pics soon. It should make a great little woods and ATV gun (to Boltrippers dismay). I like and thats all that counts.

Re: Rifle Opinions? Update

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">why

i have seen and been around hunters on 4-wheelers....all they ever come back with is a sore ass and an empty gas tank</div></div>

we shall watch for the post mortem after action color photos of whatever it is you shoot/run over......