• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship rifle pistol grip

NikolaiS

Private
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2009
Peoria, AZ
www.gothiclabs.com
This is probably old hat to most of you, but a little light bulb turned on for me on this one...

In one of Lowlight's videos on youtube, I noticed the trigger hand was gripping the pistolgrip with the thumb "up" instead of wrapped around. Sorta like a fencing foil grip.

I thought that was odd, but given that I'm learning, gave it a try dry fire. Now comparing the two grips, I noticed that when I wrapped my thumb around the pistolgrip, it caused my trigger finger to shank slightly to the right. Positioning my thumb up, oriented my trigger finger in a more natural position to pull straight back. I haven't been able to try this live fire yet, but it feels solid.

Nik

Re: rifle pistol grip

You are on to something there and if you sign up for online training you will get all the other stuff to go along with that tidbit of knowledge.

he does that from habit from rubbing his thumb on the head when he's, well, you get the idea...
grin.gif

Sign up for the online training, everything will come together faster than a free beer event at the projects.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You are on to something there and if you sign up for online training you will get all the other stuff to go along with that tidbit of knowledge. </div></div>

I've heard of this guy named "Gecko45" who has mastered that shooting style...

ahahahahahaha!! lol j/k

You have to do what ever works for you, I've tried so many times to teach friends and family proper trigger control and everyone has their own way of doing it. If your on target good.. make sure you do the same thing every time.. consistency=accuracy

I learned to technique of laying the thumb alongside the grip, instead of across it, in Boot Camp. I was half an inch shorter than being so tall I couldn't qualify for the acceptance in Corps. The weenie-sized stocks on the M14 and M1 were too short for me, and crossing the thumb over the grip would virtually guarantee I'd get whacked in the nose by my thumb on every shot. Worse yet, the lens on my Governement Issue eyeglasses rested smack up against the back of the receiver, so I couldn't use them for shooting.

These days, my rifles have more LOP, amd I find that a relatively firm (thumb crossed over) grip and generally harder old work best for me. YMMV.

Hreh